Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN.com: Trump believes millions voted illegally, WH says -- but provides no proof (and other stories not supported by the facts advanced by the Trump administration)

PeterMP

5 hours ago, visionary said:

Way to go Alison!!! That's my girl!!! I voted for her!! Wooohooo!!! 

Screw you Matt Bevin, I know you're gonna come out and say something stupid you corpratist shill! I'm so glad our StatesAttorney General and Secretary of State here in Kentucky are independently elected and not afraid to stand up to Trump/Bevin.

25 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

I am so happy to see so many people embracing State's Rights!

More like "opposition to Trump" every battld counts and I love the fact that everyone was certain Kentucky would fall in line with the request...enter Alison! I'm not sure she'll survive politically in the next round, but we have her now!

1 minute ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

More like "opposition to Trump" every battld counts and I love the fact that everyone was certain Kentucky would fall in line with the request...enter Alison! I'm not sure she'll survive politically in the next round, but we have her now!

No matter the reason, States asserting their rights and more people supporting those rights is a good thing!

Terry McAuliffe also rejected the request.  

https://governor.virginia.gov/newsroom/newsarticle?articleId=20595

“I have no intention of honoring this request. Virginia conducts fair, honest, and democratic elections, and there is no evidence of significant voter fraud in Virginia. This entire commission is based on the specious and false notion that there was widespread voter fraud last November. At best this commission was set up as a pretext to validate Donald Trump’s alternative election facts, and at worst is a tool to commit large-scale voter suppression.

“The only irregularity in the 2016 presidential election centered around Russian tampering, a finding that has been confirmed by 17 of our intelligence agencies and sworn testimony delivered to several congressional committees. In 131 days Virginia’s Department of Elections will again conduct a statewide election for the offices of Governor, Lieutenant Governor, and Attorney General, as well as 100 House of Delegates races and numerous other positions. I’m not going to divert resources that could potentially compromise that important work to enable this politically motivated and silly posturing.”

Just now, Kilmer17 said:

Does the Fed Govt have any recourse?  Or any way to force cooperation?

I don't believe that they could compel the states to produce the voter rolls, but my understanding is that you can buy the lists, although maybe not with all of the information requested.

DC may have a problem withholding the list, Congress could definitely compel the DC Board of Elections to provide it.  However, I don't think it would matter.  Even if the Trump Disenfranchisement Commission successfully suppressed HALF of the vote in the next Presidential election, and every single voter that was prevented from voting were a democrat, the Democrat candidate would still win overwhelmingly.  

6 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

DC may have a problem withholding the list, Congress could definitely compel the DC Board of Elections to provide it.  However, I don't think it would matter.  Even if the Trump Disenfranchisement Commission successfully suppressed HALF of the vote in the next Presidential election, and every single voter that was prevented from voting were a democrat, the Democrat candidate would still win overwhelmingly.  

What would happen if they refuse to comply?

1 minute ago, visionary said:

What would happen if they refuse to comply?

I think, DC Home-Rule law is not my area, that if Congress were to compel the DC Board to provide the list, and it didn't, Congress could hold individuals at the Board in contempt of Congress.  It would take a really ballsy or really cantakerous person to risk being jailed over this, particularly in light of my previous post.    

Just now, PleaseBlitz said:

I think, DC Home-Rule law is not my area, that if Congress were to compel the DC Board to provide the list, and it didn't, Congress could hold individuals at the Board in contempt of Congress.  It would take a really ballsy or really cantakerous person to risk being jailed over this, particularly in light of my previous post.    

Not sure the government would want to force the issue to that point.  Especially not in DC.

Just now, visionary said:

Not sure the government would want to force the issue to that point.  Especially not in DC.

I think you are probably right, especially since Chaffetz left.  But, we live in unpredictable times and Trump might decide that it is an opportunity to be a bully/look tough and demand his R friends to go down that road.  He does wacky ****, you know?

1 minute ago, Kilmer17 said:

D.C. Would be the ideal place to force the issue.  No chance of alienating potential GOP voters.  

And probably winnable.  And, as we all know, Trump likes winning, even if what he "wins" is worthless and results in a lot of grief for him.  

8 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

D.C. Would be the ideal place to force the issue.  No chance of alienating potential GOP voters.  

Politically maybe, but I'm not sure what might come out of that rabbit hole if it gets dug up.

DC isn't exactly a Trump friendly town.  Arresting local officials for defying the administration over something people are already upset about could have dangerous repercussions.

But I suspect some sort of compromise is more likely at the moment.

14 minutes ago, visionary said:

Politically maybe, but I'm not sure what might come out of that rabbit hole if it gets dug up.

DC isn't exactly a Trump friendly town.  Arresting local officials for defying the administration over something people are already upset about could have dangerous repercussions.

But I suspect some sort of compromise is more likely at the moment.

Playing this out, I think it plays extremely well in many R states to be seen as, how do I put this ... ****ing with DC.  Many people outside the beltway are unable to separate "Washington as a metonym for the federal government" which should be abused as much as possible, and "Washington, the city full of real actual people."  

24 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Also, its the only left leaning place they have a > 0% chance of getting data. The real interesting thing comes if they find something nefarious, are they then able to compel for voter rolls or do they go straight to ID laws.

Archived