Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most Disappointing Sequel/Prequel/Follow-Up Movie EVER?

elkabong82

3 hours ago, nonniey said:

Star Trek IV was one of the most popular of all the Star Trek movies with critics saying it was the best of them (I think II was number one myself with IV second and I think most would rank them that way).

I hated that one.  Thought it was goofy.  But yeah, most people did tend to enjoy it.

4 hours ago, mcsluggo said:

President of the United States of America, Episode 45

That one hasn't come out yet but admittedly am not looking forward to it.  Episode 44 can definitely go on this list though (The ending was particularity bad) .

11 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

There was a lot of humor in that movie, it just had serious themes and ideas as opposed to the popcorn inconsequential fluff comedy hit list that are marvel movies. 

You're not one of those "DC superhero movies are secretly full of depth and meaning, unlike Marvel" people, are you? ;)

God, BvS was one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen. Not just the eye-clawingly bad Martha thing, but Batman (a once extremely talented detective, if anyone remembers) thinking Superman killed people who had bullet holes in them, Batman deciding to kill Superman because he had a nightmare, literally every clue in the universe pointing to Lex Luthor being responsible but no one catching him until the last possible second, Batman and Superman refusing to converse with each other like functioning adults for any length of time because that would risk detracting from the explosions, etc. etc. I mean, there are a hundred other things wrong with that movie stemming from casting, editing, direction and so on, but the script itself is enough for me to discard its "serious themes and ideas."

I'm actually totally fine with dumb action/superhero movies. There's a time and a place for them. But what I hate about the gritty reboot era of DC movies is that they aren't even fun. Man of Steel and BvS are asinine films but have this ceaselessly dark tone that mutes everything. Suicide Squad is funny as death. But because there's this veneer of seriousness, (some) people think they have complexity and depth.

1 hour ago, nonniey said:

That one hasn't come out yet but admittedly am not looking forward to it.  Episode 44 can definitely go on this list though (The ending was particularity bad) .

Ooh I'm also a fan of high fantasy. My favorite? The GOP contributing a single positive thing to this country over the last 30 years. 

Sorry elka. I'm done. 

Anyone mentiomed The Phantom Menace? The thread really should be titled "What's the most disappointing sequel after the Phantom Menace?" 

1 hour ago, BornaSkinsFan83 said:

Ooh I'm also a fan of high fantasy. My favorite? The GOP contributing a single positive thing to this country over the last 30 years. 

Sorry elka. I'm done. 

Anyone mentiomed The Phantom Menace? The thread really should be titled "What's the most disappointing sequel after the Phantom Menace?" 

Well certainly beats the Dems though doesn't it? What over 50 years now for them? But I'll stop too your side initiated this in this thread and you just couldn't help yourself when asked not to continue. Guess I'm guilty too so I'll stop as well.

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

God, BvS was one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen. Not just the eye-clawingly bad Martha thing, but Batman (a once extremely talented detective, if anyone remembers) thinking Superman killed people who had bullet holes in them, Batman deciding to kill Superman because he had a nightmare, literally every clue in the universe pointing to Lex Luthor being responsible but no one catching him until the last possible second, Batman and Superman refusing to converse with each other like functioning adults for any length of time because that would risk detracting from the explosions, etc. etc. I mean, there are a hundred other things wrong with that movie stemming from casting, editing, direction and so on, but the script itself is enough for me to discard its "serious themes and ideas."

When did Batman think Superman killed people with bullet holes in them? He never once brings up that incident as a reason for his mistrust of Superman. That incident was conjured up by Lex to sway public opinion against Superman so his request for Kryptonite importing would be approved. I don't think the idea was ever that Superman killed these people but it was that wherever Superman goes, people die and there is no check or repercussions to him, hence the congressional hearing to determine how the world should handle the Superman problem. 

Batman doesn't decide to kill Superman because of a nightmare either. He has decided it long before that. See, im not even sure you saw the movie or had any objectivity going in if these are the complaints and way you experienced the movie. 

Batmans hatred and mistrust of Superman began during the final battle of man of steel. He saw how powerful Superman was and it made Batman fear him. Batman was cynical. Basically the list of people he trusted was himself and Alfred (I assume Gordon too tho he isn't mentioned in the movie) He had seen all the good men turn evil over the past 20 years in Gotham. Why would he risk that with superman when he could destroy the world and enslave man within a week if he desired? 

Throughout the entire movie, Batman chooses to characterize Superman as an alien. He doesn't acknowledge him as a man. That makes him easier to hate when you take that cold, detached view of someone. He even tells him "you aren't a man" directly during their fight. Taking that approach toward Superman made it easier for Batman to justify killing this person. It's similar to racism. You take someone and put them into a specific box to define them so you can rationalize your hatred.

Batman never saw Superman as a child of Earth who had been here his whole life with a family and loved ones etc. that's why the Martha scene was so powerful. The name made Batman freeze because it happened to be the last thing his father said and in that moment of hesitation he saw the fear in Supermans face. He realized this was a a man like any that Batman has protected before with loved ones and a mother and he could no longer view him in that same detached manner. He couldn't kill this man and bring that ssme pain he felt over loss onto another, when he has given his life to protect and ensure that doesn't happen to others. But that's not as funny as "hey our moms have the same name let's be bffs" which is just a ridiculous and clueless summary of that scene. 

Batman always knew it was Lex, he just didn't care. He was happy to let Lex go about his business and bring the kryptonite in for Batman to steal. Lois figures out its Luthor pretty quickly and Superman is busy being obsessed with Batman and never investigates it. So im not sure what you mean there.

Also, Lex is supposed to be the son of the traditional Lex Luthor. I have no problem with them taking a different direction with that character. Lex has never translated to movies, he's a boring inconsequential character. So to have a younger tech genius Lex was fine with me. Like Batman,  the existence of Superman made Lex feel powerless. For as strong and deadly as Batman always was, Superman renders him useless. And for as smart as Lex is, he knows that his knowledge will never yield true power with the existence of godlike beings such as Superman, hence why he is so obsessed with Superman and the other meta humans. 

I could go on and on. The movie isn't without flaws, overuse of cgi for the final battle, the flash and injustice scenes could have been removed to avoid confusion etc. most of the complaints rendered against it are just a lack of understanding the movie imo or not wanting to understand it. It's all laid out right there pretty easily but because it isn't wrapped up in a big shiny marvel fluff package, nobody wanted to enjoy it.  

12 hours ago, Hersh said:

Not sure how it made one think.  

How would you react to the revelation that a godlike alien has been living among you for 20 years? What would you do? 

What is the role of this alien? Should they strive to be the best of man giving us an ideal to strive toward? Our savior? Why would they even want to be this for us? 

Do they have any responsibility toward us at all. Should they just do nothing at all and selfishly live their own life? Maybe they should just lord over us. How would we even be able to stop them if they did. 

Can you trust someone That wasn't born on this planet? What does it mean to be part of mankind? 

Etc. 

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I didn't think BvS was all that bad, either.  My main issue with that movie (as well as the other Superman movie that came out a few years ago) was that there was no consistency with how Superman reacted to Kryptonite.  

Kryptonite wasn't in Man of Steel tho 

Just now, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Could have sworn there was a scene in that movie where he was lifting some big rock made of Kryptonite or something like that.  Don't remember, honestly, haven't seen it since the theatre.  Could be wrong, probably am.

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Could have sworn there was a scene in that movie where he was lifting some big rock made of Kryptonite or something like that.  Don't remember, honestly, haven't seen it since the theatre.  Could be wrong, probably am.

I don't recall that. They did have the krypton atmosphere on the ship having a similar effect to how we know he reacts to Kryptonite so That might be it? The world building machine he destroys in Africa was turning the area into Krytpon so he was weakened being in that atmosphere especially with a lot of the sun being covered in that area. 

44 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I don't recall that. They did have the krypton atmosphere on the ship having a similar effect to how we know he reacts to Kryptonite so That might be it? The world building machine he destroys in Africa was turning the area into Krytpon so he was weakened being in that atmosphere especially with a lot of the sun being covered in that area. 

No clue.  I might be remembering the one from 2006, pretty sure he got stabbed with it and then came back acting like it was no big deal.  I felt the same way about them both so that's why they're just collected in my brain as a big goop of  "meh".   

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

How would you react to the revelation that a godlike alien has been living among you for 20 years? What would you do? 

What is the role of this alien? Should they strive to be the best of man giving us an ideal to strive toward? Our savior? Why would they even want to be this for us? 

Do they have any responsibility toward us at all. Should they just do nothing at all and selfishly live their own life? Maybe they should just lord over us. How would we even be able to stop them if they did. 

Can you trust someone That wasn't born on this planet? What does it mean to be part of mankind? 

Etc. 

I don't think that deeply when watching comic book movies, but I'd probably become a doomsday prepper and hope he doesn't blow up the planet. I certainly wouldn't live in the same city he worked in. ;) 

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

That was in Superman Returns. 

3 hours ago, Bacon said:

You're not one of those "DC superhero movies are secretly full of depth and meaning, unlike Marvel" people, are you? ;)

I'm actually totally fine with dumb action/superhero movies. There's a time and a place for them. But what I hate about the gritty reboot era of DC movies is that they aren't even fun. Man of Steel and BvS are asinine films but have this ceaselessly dark tone that mutes everything. Suicide Squad is funny as death. But because there's this veneer of seriousness, (some) people think they have complexity and depth.

This is why I love the animation shorts on how the movie really should have gone. 

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

[snip]

So many of these explanations simply boil down to Zack Snyder's incompetent grasp of the characters propping up a thin, shoddy plot.

My biggest problem with the movie is that, based on the information viewers have at their disposal, there is no good reason why Batman would want to kill Superman because all of the evil attributed to Superman (by some, not all of the population by any means) can very easily be pointed elsewhere. The murders in the desert, the capital building explosion, the subway death, all of it. I recognize that Bruce Wayne spotted Superman fighting recklessly, which could be seen as problematic to Batman. It also opens up a number of questions: who is this man? Who was he fighting? Who is he protecting? Bruce Wayne doesn't ask Superman these questions and, if he did, Batman and Superman would not have fought each other.

Snyder must have realized this, so he nerfed Batman's intelligence and upped his emotion in a way that doesn't match his character at all. Snyder's Batman is a quasi-racist, I guess, so he's incapable of using empiricism to solve problems. Why? Because there's no way Batman and Superman fight unless Batman sees Superman as a ruthless killing machine. Which, honestly, many average citizens don't even agree with. Only in this universe is Batman such a meathead that he can't be objective, rub a couple brain cells together and make a reasonable conclusion about a situation, one in which he is being used as a pawn. He's incredibly dumb in this movie (because ignorance spackles over plot holes) and any appeals to pathos don't work for me because he's never been that character, at all. Of course he has emotions, but he's not a total chump either. Just in this movie. 

I've read every explanation for the Martha bit and it's always hokey, sentimental bullcrap that spits in the face of not only the characterization of Batman that we've always had, but the Batman we get in this movie. The shared name isn't even the biggest problem, it's just goofy window dressing. First of all, Batman of all people never should have made the assumption that Superman was a ruthless killing machine in the first place because he isn't and there's nothing in the movie that shows he is. It's a strawman based on Bruce Wayne's ignorance of Superman, ignorance that only occurs because Snyder felt like writing him as a total clod. I don't buy it, but you know that already. I loathe his characterization in this movie. Second of all, someone having a mother doesn't make them any less harmful to earth. If Batman had Joker pinned down and he started shouting "Martha! Martha!" would that be the end of their rivalry? He's human! He has a mother! And Harley loves him! How can Batman put someone through such pain and loss? In the grand scheme of things, he wouldn't kill Joker or Superman, but for the sake of this film and Snyder's characterization, let's just say that it's incredibly cheap to me that a detective has to divine through chance that Superman isn't a monster. Regardless of his humanity or lack thereof, it should have been fairly obvious that Superman was being framed and that, logically, the destruction surrounding Superman would lessen if the cause of it (Lex Luthor) is eliminated. 

Lastly, I absolutely wanted to enjoy this movie and spent good money on seeing it. I've been a huge Batman fan for years. The last thing I want to see is another terrible Batman movie after a solid streak of good ones. I remember 90s Batman all too well. BvS isn't Batman and Robin bad by any means, but Batman himself is really bad despite Affleck's acting being OK.

12 minutes ago, Bacon said:

So many of these explanations simply boil down to Zack Snyder's incompetent grasp of the characters 

Agree with what you said and I think Ben Affleck does a good job. As far as how ridiculous the run up to the fight scene was, Superman would have just said right away. "Lex Luther has my mother and he wants me to kill you" before he says anything else. I also loved how in the spook they make fun of the idea that the US nuked the two of them while Superman kept pushing Doomsday out to space. 

1 minute ago, Poman said:

Red Dawn.  One of my hero movies growing up.   I walked out of the remake, even though I went fully expecting it to be garbage.   :(

Getting into remakes is a whole other topic. I refuse to watch the new Red Dawn or the new Point Break. 

42 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Getting into remakes is a whole other topic. I refuse to watch the new Red Dawn or the new Point Break. 

My bad if remakes weren't a part of the OP.  Definitely do not under any circumstances watch the new Red Dawn.  I haven't watched the new Point Break either.  ?

10 hours ago, Bacon said:

A lot of people say The Wicker Man is the worst remake of all time, but I'm not sure I've seen a funnier bad movie in my life. Maybe The Room. I harbor zero ill feelings towards The Wicker Man and I enjoy the original.

gotta love seeing Nick Cage drop-kick the **** out of a woman!

Archived