Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

2 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

I'm in the wait and see camp with Mcgee and McCain signings, but I don't understand why we haven't gone for a true NT and ILB so far. We could possibly get Hawkins for $7m per year if we get him to Redskins park now. Does anyone know why Snyder and Allen are being so cheap this year.

HTTR 

Assuming you mean Hankins, he is asking for a long-term deal with annual salary of over $10 million. Perhaps they don't want to commit that kind of money to a player who isn't in on most snaps. 

This team has been cheap in free agency for years now. 

30 minutes ago, elkabong82 said:

Assuming you mean Hankins, he is asking for a long-term deal with annual salary of over $10 million. Perhaps they don't want to commit that kind of money to a player who isn't in on most snaps. 

This team has been cheap in free agency for years now. 

Norman wasn't cheap.  I believe that was last year.

Over-spending in FA doesn't seem to workout well except for the Giants. 

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Nothing wrong with drama. We could actually be closer to 3 than 8 to be fair.

We were at 8 for two years (pretty much, don't nobody get technical with me, it's parade eve) and all we had to do was sign the right 4 people to challenge the division. This sucks.

12 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Norman wasn't cheap.  I believe that was last year.

Over-spending in FA doesn't seem to workout well except for the Giants. 

Worked for the Broncos too.  See below. 

Not spending in FA is a winning strategy as long as you draft well.  Teams that don't draft well don't have much of a chance to be competitive unless they acquire young, top tier talent in FA.

OygSPym.jpg

31 minutes ago, elkabong82 said:

But I asked WHY specifically Baker and RJF are better. What about their play is better. All you did was show some stats, which for run stuffers don't mean a lot, and that is the direction the DL seems to be headed. Every report out there says both guys are good at run stopping. We know Baker and RJF are not. I get the injury and scheme fit concerns and made sure to take note of them because they shouldn't be dismissed, but I don't see you addressing the benefits to run stopping. 

In terms of focusing on run stopping, McGee is an upgrade over RJF and McClain is an upgrade over Baker. It's the reason those two were brought in and it is an improvement in terms of stopping the run. Even if you don't love the signings, this can't be denied. Overlooked? Sure, already being done. But not deniable.

HTTR covered this, and so did I. I offer stats (which you don't like, whaaa!) and he offered several evaluations with other advanced stats.

You have nothing. You offer "We know Baker and RJF are not" and "McGee is an upgrade over RJF and McClain is an upgrade over Baker. It's the reason those two were brought in and it is an improvement in terms of stopping the run. Even if you don't love the signings, this can't be denied."

Why, because YOU say so? Do you have ANY proof other than you word? No?

Sorry, that and $6 will get you a cupajoe.

I think you're overlooking that both players are on the rise as well. McClain had a healthy season as a starter and looks to build off that. McGee battled from being the 4th DT on the depth chart up to starter and was one of the lone bright spots in that unit for the Raiders. His ankle injury may have helped us in getting him for cheaper than he would have cost had he played the full season. I don't think it's crazy to say the team is better for prioritizing younger players with recent improvement over players on their last contracts who were part of a very bad unit. In terms of overall DL talent, taking into account age and injury, both are lateral moves from Baker and RJF. But in terms of run stopping and providing a DL that doesn't get pushed back, both are big upgrades and sorely needed. 

Nope, what I'm not doing is overlooking that they are hurt all the time. McGee has never done much, even at the college level. McClain has a good year in a contract year and was invisible before that. They are younger. And they are injury prone. And I'm not overlooking that they have collectively done nothing as players in the NFL, before McC plays only a little worse than Baker, and McG does nothing and gets hurt.

But really, we all want the defense to improve, and we all for years have wanted the team to draft better and not rely on free agency as much. We're starting to do that, so really shouldn't this complaining be held off until AFTER the draft, to see what all was addressed? Right now it's coming off as complaining for the sake of complaining. Do we want to be the team again that pays big bucks for big names to come here and flounder? No.

Do we want to sign guys going into their 30s with effort concerns to LTDs? No. Should we be paying a back-up, over 30 DL $4 mil per year on the cap? No.

We signed two DL good at stopping the run and holding the line, which we badly need, both have improved this past season, and we signed both for lower-cost contracts. Baker and RJF are in their 30s and declined last year. 

If we go into the draft and take an ILB and a NT in the first 2 rounds that ES generally likes, are we at that point still going to complain about the DL and the defense not being addressed? 

There is one true nose in the draft, he will be gone in the top 5, after there is a big drop off. So no, I"m not looking to get a impact player there in the draft. ILB however looks pretty good. But then, this wasn't about ILB

It was about the DL. So, if you're going to continue with this, you really need to bring something other than just your words.

Thread isn't about the draft but if were referencing the NOT signing FA's and drafting instead, then they'll draft a below top grade NT and BPA ILB if the idea is to fill gaps in the draft.  Not sure we can discuss draft players here but maybe someone can post the link to the draft thread...?

Ricky Jean-Francois was a backup Colt when we brought him here..  RJF was a JAG period end of story...  I would rather go with two younger players that have the potential of being a better player than the JAG we know.   Baker while a decent DL is limited as well, but I'm surprised we didn't offer to match the 6, but maybe they did....

28 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

There is one true nose in the draft, he will be gone in the top 5, after there is a big drop off. So no, I"m not looking to get a impact player there in the draft. ILB however looks pretty good. But then, this wasn't about ILB

Who is your true one nose in the draft?

27 minutes ago, worldpost said:

Ricky Jean-Francois was a backup Colt when we brought him here..  RJF was a JAG period end of story...  I would rather go with two younger players that have the potential of being a better player than the JAG we know.   Baker while a decent DL is limited as well, but I'm surprised we didn't offer to match the 6, but maybe they did....

Baker after he signed with Tampa said the Skins FO never reached out to him or his agent. Who knows if that is true, but Bruce Allen sure seems to handle business strangely. 

19 minutes ago, Genghis Khan said:

Jonathan Allen out of Alabama. He is projected going in the top 5. No way he falls to 17. 

14 minutes ago, Genghis Khan said:

11 minutes ago, Pick6 said:

Baker after he signed with Tampa said the Skins FO beer reached out to him or his agent. Who knows if that is true, but Bruce Allen sure seems to handle business strangely. 

Jonathan Allen out of Alabama. He is projected going in the top 5. No way he falls to 17. 

Pick6 is correct, Johnathan Allen. After that you're looking 3-4 round for value.

2 hours ago, TheShredder said:

They don't play from behind.  DL play in front.  Don't know if you knew that....

First, this Snarky McSnarkington remark, Which is wrong. Because he was referring to...Oh, nevermind. I I have to explain where linebackers play in reference to DL, you don't need to be here.

1 hour ago, TheShredder said:

Unless Sean Lee is his agent, then it has nothing to do with his value in signing a FA contract.  Sean Lee didn't have anything to do with how well he held his assignment.  Doesn't matter unless he missed his assignment and has nothing to do with his position on the Skins DL.

Actually, it means something. As say the C or Guard that is going to chip and then move to the 2nd level, who's more important to block, the best player on the team (Lee) or JAG (McC)? Playing with a All Pro Sean Lee behind you makes things a little easier. Playing with Will Compton behind you makes things a little bit harder. Because it's more important to make sure you block Sean Lee that Will Compton.

Or Terrell McClain

Don't know if you knew that.....

20 minutes ago, thebeermonkey said:

Thanks. Thought it was obvious!

Me too, Apparently not.

5 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Baker got shipped out because he runs his mouth off and dances on the field instead of picking up the loose ball.

Our change over on the DL is pretty much a wash for my money. Kind of like impossible to be any worse but we may get lucky with the two we've picked up. 

Inexcusable not not to add a quality DT and tier 2 upgrade at ILB. Unless of course we can't convince players at those positions to sign here:kickcan:

or there's none available we can afford and that fit our system

So I get why people are fighting whether McGee and McClain are upgrades or not.  It certainly is an argument that points to glass half full or empty.  Last year there were few people that expected us to get off the field on 3rd and short.  The Mc's might help that, but the differences overall won't be big.  We were 28th in yards last year, I don't think the argument can be made we will move above 20th with these 2 signings (or even counting DJ).  

To fix these items we have comments from the team that we will address NT in the draft.  To me that could require a reach or we're in trouble.  It not the best way to enter a draft.  Plus, if we do draft a NT in the first or second we're still trusting a young 20's player to anchor our line.  That's certainly not a given.  

Without putting a few more pieces on D before the draft, we're pointing towards Cousins and the O having to carry the team.  That didn't go well last year.  With 3 years to fix the DL and little progress, I'd lose faith if I were him.

With some ILB and at least 1 NT possibility in Hankins, I'm still personally pushing if I'm the FO.  I'm curious what Hankins is looking or outside of the 10+ million.  With guarantees lower for injury and maybe a bit backloaded deal, I might consider.  I'd try something like 6yr 54 mill, so 9 per, but make it 4, 6, 7, 8, 8, 8.  Have 6 million signing bonus year 1 (meeting his 10 million for this year, but only a 5 million cap hit) and then a 2, 2, 3 million roster bonus years 4, 5, 6.  His 6th year could be as high as 12 mill hit, but would only be a 1 mill hit if they cut him prior to the roster bonus.  He be about 30 years old at that point, so not crazy old.  Team is protected from injury and sucking, but gets a player we could really use.

ILB is a position that typically doesn't come with as big of a price tag.  Signing Brown/Minter would simply put Compton or Foster on the bench.  

When the draft comes Foster/Cunningham, Cook/McCafferty, not even John Ross would make us cry (Doctson isn't a sure thing at this point)... then a G, TE, WR (not if Ross in first) it wouldn't be a big deal as we don't HAVE to fill a gaping hole.  

It's drafting with flexibility and that's how I want to enter the draft.  Let's do it.

1 hour ago, Pick6 said:

I would have been much happier signing Poe at $8 mil for one year over McGee & McClain for $9/10 mil combined. 

we needed more than one player unless Poe can clone himself.  Presumably the idea is MGee an McClain are better than Poe and someone already on the roster

9 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Actually, it means something. As say the C or Guard that is going to chip and then move to the 2nd level, who's more important to block, the best player on the team (Lee) or JAG (McC)? Playing with a All Pro Sean Lee behind you makes things a little easier. Playing with Will Compton behind you makes things a little bit harder. Because it's more important to make sure you block Sean Lee that Will Compton.

Or Terrell McClain

I doubt teams use two guys to block one guy if one blocker can do the job

1 hour ago, thesubmittedone said:

My God... the Cowboys, though. 

People make too big a deal about comp picks sometimes. The Cowboys lost a very good Olineman, two rotational DLs and most of their Defensive Backfield. And the total value of those comp picks for that likely adds up to about a late 3rd/early 4th.

1 minute ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

People make too big a deal about comp picks sometimes. The Cowboys lost a very good Olineman, two rotational DLs and most of their Defensive Backfield. And the total value of those comp picks for that likely adds up to about a late 3rd/early 4th.

That's it? Lol, yeah then that's nothing. But just looking at the chart briefly I thought they're set to receive like 20 3rd rounders. :ols: 

Archived