Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

U.S. Congress Part 116

thebluefood

Said this before. Maybe in this thread. These voters don't want people feeling sorry for them. They don't want pity. So even if others feel bad for them because they appear to be doing something counter-intuitive to their own well-being. Let it be. Telling them they are stupid or are fools just makes people (all people) dig in their heels deeper.

Others have said that some people need to feel the pain of their choices. Others here has said that won't matter. They will continue to vote that way.

So be it. If you live in one of these states, you can get involved, stay quiet, or move to a maker state that does a better job of these things.

Handel/Handle is probably going to win. There are going to be a few different takes about the margin and how much she should have won by.....and we'll move on to the next special election. 

38 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Others have said that some people need to feel the pain of their choices.

I was listening to a story on NPR this morning about medicaid expansion: the voters are already feeling the pain of their choices.  The white working poor in Republican states go without health insurance because their state governments didn't expand medicaid.  They speculate that maybe doing healthcare like Canada where everyone has it might be better.  Then they go vote for ****ing Republicans.  "Hopefully Donald Trump can sit down with people a lot smarter than me and make this better for everyone.  [As for healthcare] I don't think government should be all up in it, but...."  Meanwhile I'm going to drive two hours to a free clinic and sleep in my car overnight so hopefully I can get in and get some teeth.

It's ****ing sad man.  They don't know what to do.  They have been soooo poisoned by Republican propaganda that they just don't know who stands for what.  And any time they start thinking for themselves about complicated issues like healthcare, and how a single payer system would make their lives so much better, they reflexively snap back to the recitation of Republican catechism about government being evil.

There is no other way around this issue: Democrats have to get into these places and start talking to these people face to face.  It's going to take a lot of time and money and grass roots energy, but it's the only way they can reach the white working poor.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I was listening to a story on NPR this morning about medicaid expansion: the voters are already feeling the pain of their choices.  The white working poor in Republican states go without health insurance because their state governments didn't expand medicaid.  They speculate that maybe doing healthcare like Canada where everyone has it might be better.  Then they go vote for ****ing Republicans.  "Hopefully Donald Trump can sit down with people a lot smarter than me and make this better for everyone.  [As for healthcare] I don't think government should be all up in it, but...."  Meanwhile I'm going to drive two hours to a free clinic and sleep in my car overnight so hopefully I can get in and get some teeth.

It's ****ing sad man.  They don't know what to do.  They have been soooo poisoned by Republican propaganda that they just don't know who stands for what.  And any time they start thinking for themselves about complicated issues like healthcare, and how a single payer system would make their lives so much better, they reflexively snap back to the recitation of Republican catechism about government being evil.

There is no other way around this issue: Democrats have to get into these places and start talking to these people face to face.  It's going to take a lot of time and money and grass roots energy, but it's the only way they can reach the white working poor.

Well, you can feel sorry for them without demeaning them....I guess. I think the simple response is "You voted for what you're getting right now." and leave it at that.

15 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Until we see something different happen. Never underestimate the ability of people to vote against interests of themselves and their communities. 

GA-6  resident here.

I'm interested to hear why it is you think that people voting for Handel in this district would represent a vote against the interests of themselves and their communities.

fwiw, I despise Trump, voted Ossoff this morning, and think Handel is a terrible politician who deserves to lose this ruby red district because her campaign was just atrocious...but for a highly educated upper middle class community that is somewhat socially conservative (i.e., more liberal than much of Georgia, but not "liberal") a chamber of commerce republican would probably reflect a lot of the interests of this community.  I think you see that reflected in how Ossoff styled his campaign also.  

Edited by Bliz

2 minutes ago, Forehead said:

Have their been any early returns on the race?

No but you may get exit polls later in the day. Hope Handel pulls this off so we can avoid the over reactions in the media.

Edited by nonniey

1 minute ago, nonniey said:

No but you may get exit polls later in the day. Hope Handel pulls this off so we can avoid the over reactions in the media.

Overreactions are guaranteed no matter the outcome. 

There will probably be some overreactions, but I think the median story will be close to the reality.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FiveThirtyEight/status/877181748039135232

This race is a toss up.  It should not be even close.  There are 115 districts as red or bluer than GA-6 held by the GOP.    Not all of them are in play but probably a solid half are very winnable for Dems.

The overreations if Ossoff wins will be that the House is all but lost by the GOP come 2018.  That's jumping the gun but the data thus far suggests it's likely.  I think there will be an overestimation of how many seats will change hands though, a lot of people will guess like 60-80 when realistically the number of flipped seats will probably be in the 30s to 50s.

But the primary thread one way or another will be that Dems are in a good position for 2018, which will he true unless Handel suddenly wins by like 8 points completely defying polls.

2 hours ago, Bliz said:

GA-6  resident here.

I'm interested to hear why it is you think that people voting for Handel in this district would represent a vote against the interests of themselves and their communities.

Because I believe a lot of people are buying a myth on why they are getting screwed over. Just like the folks who buy the story that coal is coming back. You tell me. Are illegal immigrants stealing jobs in GA-6? Did Unions make labor too expensive and force jobs away? Are corporations overregulated there?

If all those things changed....would jobs and opportunity show up? Or would the folks who are already profiting, just keep whatever more they make by automating and never hiring more? 

@Kilmer17

I know I will.  And if Dems have control of the congress in 2020 and gerrymander the ever loving **** outta this country, I'm still gonna ***** about gerrymandering.  

If, by some miracle, I joined the ranks of the top 1%, I'd continue to ***** about the tax loopholes too.  

To be fair though, it'd probably be more like criticizing than *****ing.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, visionary said:

I love how within the article people still think Trump can and should pass a plan to reduce their health care cost AND improve the quality of care. Therein lies the entire problem in the country now. We want to have our cake, eat it too and stay fit and trim. 

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I love how within the article people still think Trump can and should pass a plan to reduce their health care cost AND improve the quality of care. Therein lies the entire problem in the country now. We want to have our cake, eat it too and stay fit and trim. 

In fairness, it's quite doable.  Our quality of care isn't great and our costs are absurd.  We're at like the worst ends of both among 1st world nations.

Shoot, if you could take on big pharma that would be one area of medicine in which you could do both.

But, uh, good luck taking on big pharma.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

In fairness, it's quite doable.  Our quality of care isn't great and our costs are absurd.  We're at like the worst ends of both among 1st world nations.

Shoot, if you could take on big pharma that would be one area of medicine in which you could do both.

But, uh, good luck taking on big pharma.

It may be doable, but nothing in the GOP plans improves quality of care and people seem not to be examining that. I think that's what is ultimately frustrating. We are an electorate that settles for platitudes without investing the time to see what the real problems are. Which is insane considering the information at our fingertips now. 

2 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Because I believe a lot of people are buying a myth on why they are getting screwed over. Just like the folks who buy the story that coal is coming back. You tell me. Are illegal immigrants stealing jobs in GA-6? Did Unions make labor too expensive and force jobs away? Are corporations overregulated there?

If all those things changed....would jobs and opportunity show up? Or would the folks who are already profiting, just keep whatever more they make by automating and never hiring more? 

A number of those are Trump questions, and I would posit part of the reason why he was -20 in this district compared to Romney.  

We have plenty of jobs and opportunity in this district already.  Some of the ones who are already profiting live in places like Ga-6.  Like I said, it's a pretty wealthy district, and iirc one of the top 15 house districts in the country in terms of % of adults with a college degree.  A lot of these people want tax cuts for the rich, a low regulatory environment, etc. because that's what benefits their pocketbook.

3 hours ago, visionary said:

Update:

It actually turned out to be a pretty heavy in spots, and a lengthy storm.  Still going at my office, a few miles southwest of the district.  For people who were planning on voting at lunch or after work, there is a definite possibility this is a deterrent.  The question is, who does that harm the most?  I seem to remember reading that expectations were Ossoff would be performing better in early voting and Rs get a lot of Tuesday voting and would be relying on great turnout today to overcome the difference, but that may be apocryphal.  Maybe it comes down to who's more motivated to vote, and enthusiasm numbers should definitely be favoring dems.  On the other hand, maybe all that enthusiasm only translates to early voting.

I would be surprised if we know the winner before early morning.

25 minutes ago, Bliz said:

Update:

It actually turned out to be a pretty heavy in spots, and a lengthy storm.  Still going at my office, a few miles southwest of the district.  For people who were planning on voting at lunch or after work, there is a definite possibility this is a deterrent.  The question is, who does that harm the most?  I seem to remember reading that expectations were Ossoff would be performing better in early voting and Rs get a lot of Tuesday voting and would be relying on great turnout today to overcome the difference, but that may be apocryphal.  Maybe it comes down to who's more motivated to vote, and enthusiasm numbers should definitely be favoring dems.  On the other hand, maybe all that enthusiasm only translates to early voting.

I would be surprised if we know the winner before early morning.

Yeah, the area I work in got hammered...roads were full of high water, phones blowin' up with Flash Flood Warnings...there were 6 cars in front of me in the Popeye's drive-thru, just crappy weather.  They just said on TV that it's probably going to affect the Handel voters more.  And I sure hope we know before morning.  The suspense is killin' me.:ols:

Well, on one hand, everyone outside of Trump's loyal base should want a check on him.  On the other hand, I can see why an area that is pretty solidly GOP would stick to their guns (no pun intended).  

Actually, I can't at all - the Republican platform is such crap in so many ways and this Congress has often been spiteful and hypocritical - but that's people for ya'.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

If Trump was - 20. Then I'm confused how this is polling 50/50. 

Compared to Romney . Romney won the district by like 20+ points.  T won it by 1

Weather update - just drizzle in Cobb county as of about 530.  After work crowd should be fine

Edited by Bliz