Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Newsweek: Myths that cost Dems the election

PF Chang

http://www.newsweek.com/myths-cost-democrats-presidential-election-521044

A certain kind of liberal makes me sick. These people traffic in false equivalencies, always pretending that both nominees are the same, justifying their apathy and not voting or preening about their narcissistic purity as they cast their ballot for a person they know cannot win. I have no problem with anyone who voted for Trump, because they wanted a Trump presidency. I have an enormous problem with anyone who voted for Trump or Stein or Johnson—or who didn’t vote at all—and who now expresses horror about the outcome of this election.  If you don’t like the consequences of your own actions, shut the hell up.

The problem this election season has been that liberal Democrats—just like too many Republicans—have been consumed by provably false conspiracy theories. They have trafficked in them on Facebook and Twitter, they have read only websites that confirm what they want to believe, and they have, in the past few months, unknowingly gulped down Russian propaganda with delight. In other words, just like the conservatives they belittle, they have been inside a media bubble that blocked them from reality. So before proceeding, let’s address a few fantasies about this campaign:

Some good stuff in here that Bernie people should read over and over again until it sinks in. 

Here are a few tastes of what was in store for Sanders, straight out of the Republican playbook: He thinks rape is A-OK. In 1972, when he was 31, Sanders wrote a fictitious essay in which he described a woman enjoying being raped by three men. Yes, there is an explanation for it—a long, complicated one, just like the one that would make clear why the Clinton emails story was nonsense. And we all know how well that worked out.

Then there’s the fact that Sanders was on unemployment until his mid-30s, and that he stole electricity from a neighbor after failing to pay his bills, and that he co-sponsored a bill to ship Vermont’s nuclear waste to a poor Hispanic community in Texas, where it could be dumped. You can just see the words “environmental racist” on Republican billboards. And if you can’t, I already did. They were in the Republican opposition research book as a proposal on how to frame the nuclear waste issue.

Also on the list: Sanders violated campaign finance laws, criticized Clinton for supporting the 1994 crime bill that he voted for, and he voted against the Amber Alert system. His pitch for universal health care would have been used against him too, since it was tried in his home state of Vermont and collapsed due to excessive costs. Worst of all, the Republicans also had video of Sanders at a 1985 rally thrown by the leftist Sandinista government in Nicaragua where half a million people chanted, “Here, there, everywhere/the Yankee will die,’’ while President Daniel Ortega condemned “state terrorism” by America. Sanders said, on camera, supporting the Sandinistas was “patriotic.”

The Republicans had at least four other damning Sanders videos (I don’t know what they showed), and the opposition research folder was almost 2-feet thick. (The section calling him a communist with connections to Castro alone would have cost him Florida.) In other words, the belief that Sanders would have walked into the White House based on polls taken before anyone really attacked him is a delusion built on a scaffolding of political ignorance.

Ay Dios mio

Of course, there will still be those voters who snarl, “She didn’t earn my vote,” as if somehow their narcissism should override all other considerations in the election. That, however, is not what an election is about. Voters are charged with choosing the best person to lead the country, not the one who appeals the most to their egos.

ha!

17 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Ay Dios mio

The response from the "Bernie would have won, guys" crowd on Reddit to that opposition research was that it wouldn't have affected Bernie because Trump said bad things and won anyway. Seriously. Tea Party of the left, everyone. 

The Bernie crowd deserves a lot of **** for putting him on a pedestal he truly doesn't deserve.

Still though, it is incredible that one of the reasons HRC lost in the rust belt, is because she got flanked from the left on issues of working class labor and free trade. 

It's as if voters completely forgot which party took the baton on dismantling the organizing power of the labor class. Sure a lot of establishment Democrats sat on the sidelines drinking ****tails while this happened, but is it really better to vote for the people who ****ed you over, than the people who watched you get ****ed over? Interesting times we live in.

36 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

The Bernie crowd deserves a lot of **** for putting him on a pedestal he truly doesn't deserve.

Still though, it is incredible that one of the reasons HRC lost in the rust belt, is because she got flanked from the left on issues of working class labor and free trade. 

It's as if voters completely forgot which party took the baton on dismantling the organizing power of the labor class. Sure a lot of establishment Democrats sat on the sidelines drinking ****tails while this happened, but is it really better to vote for the people who ****ed you over, than the people who watched you get ****ed over? Interesting times we live in.

Trump supporters are blaming poor people and immigrants for their problems.  bernie voters blamed corporations

Both were populism in their lowest forms.  pandering, misinformed unadulterated bull****.  both groups swallowed the entire thing and asked for seconds though

2 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Well this thread is just going to become a circle **** for the left.  "quick, find reasons why it isn't our fault!"

The motto of the left.

It's the motto of America.  No one takes personal responsibility anymore.  Both sides, all classes. 

Stole this from another forum but this is how you lose an election:

Clinton campaign schedule:
http://www.p2016.org/clinton/clintoncal0816.html
August 18 - New York, NY
August 19 - Martha's Vineyard, MA
August 20 - Nantucket, MA, Martha's Vineyard, MA - 5 fundraisers
August 21 - Provincetown, MA, Osterville, MA - 2 fundraisers
August 22 - Beverly Hills, CA - 2 fundraisers
August 23 - Los Angeles, CA, Laguna Beach, CA, Piedmont, CA - 4 fundraisers
August 24 - Redwood City, CA, Los Altos, CA, Woodside, CA - 3 fundraisers
August 25 - Reno, NV - urban swing state campaign event
August 26 - None
August 27 - White Plains, NY
August 28 - Sag Harbor, NY, Southampton, NY, Bridgehampton, NY - 3 fundraisers
August 29 - East Hampton, NY, Quogue, NY - 2 fundraisers
August 30 - Sagaponack, NY, North Haven, NY - 2 fundraisers
August 31 - Cincinnati, OH - urban swing state campaign event

22 fundraising events, 2 visits to urban areas of swing states

This was Obama's schedule in the same period in 2008:
https://www2.gwu.edu/~action/2008/obamacal0808.html
August 18 - Albuquerque, NM
August 19 - Orlando, FL, Raleigh, NC
August 20 - Greensboro, NC, Martinsville, VA, Danville, VA, Lynchburg, VA
August 21 - Richmond, VA, Chester, VA, Petersburg, VA, Emporia, VA, Chesapeake, VA
August 22 - Chicago, IL
August 23 - Springfield, IL
August 24 - Eau Claire, WI
August 25 - Davenport, IA, Kansas City, MO
August 26 - Kansas City, MO
August 27 - Billings, MT, Denver, CO
August 28 - Denver, CO
August 29 - Monaca, PA, Aliquippa, PA, Beaver, PA
August 30 - Boardman, OH, Cleveland, OH, Marengo, OH, Dublin, OH
August 31 - Lima, OH, Toledo, OH, Hamilton, IN, Battle Creek, MI

0 fundraisers, multiple visits to urban and rural swing state areas. 

The September calendars:
Obama - 5 fundraisers, visits to Detroit, MI, Monroe, MI, Milwaukee, WI, New Philadelphia, OH, Dillonvale, OH, York, PA, Columbia, PA, Lancaster, PA, Duryea, PA, Wyoming, PA, Terre Haute, IN, Flint, MI, Farmington Hills, MI, Riverside, OH, Green Bay, WI, Detroit, MI.

Clinton - 14 fundraisers, 1 visit to Philadelphia, 1 visit to Cleveland -- that's it for the Rust Belt in September!

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Well this thread is just going to become a circle **** for the left.  "quick, find reasons why it isn't our fault!"

The motto of the left.

So far, it's attacking the left. Did you read the article? The blame is placed on the left...

52 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

Stole this from another forum but this is how you lose an election:

That list is just brutal to read. August was around the time Trump was having one of his meltdowns. I think it was the Khan family debacle.

The Clinton's really are huge suckers for money and power. It's a shame because HRC is a brilliant person.

I will never understand why anyone needs a visit from a potential elected official. This whole go on the road and get the voters thing is stupid. I would guess that over 60% of the nation has the internet or at least a television. 

I think the rallies are a complete waste of money and time. 

I did not meet Bush or Obama... I voted for both. 

I would never in a million years vote for Trump. He is a black eye on our country. 

11 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Thanks Heisenberg.......exactly why I predicted for a few months that Trump was going to win. Robby Mook is an imbecile.

If reports are true, Bill was trying to advise Hillary to connect more with the people by having fewer fundraisers but was shot down by the campaign advisers. So they didn't listen to the person who could connect with people better than most people on this planet to get more money to spend instead of hitting small towns.

FYI, an example of where Hillary's campaign blew it. They did a rally/fundraiser in Johnstown, PA. The event was at a typical blue collar, steel mill.
There were only 20 workers out of hundreds who signed up to go to the event. The campaign then bused in, yes literally bused in, people to make it look like more people were there. Many of the locals when they caught wind of this pretty much decided they were not going to vote for her at the point in time. I have some family out that way and is what I was told by them. This event was towards the end of July. 

6 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

I will never understand why anyone needs a visit from a potential elected official. This whole go on the road and get the voters thing is stupid. I would guess that over 60% of the nation has the internet or at least a television. 

I think the rallies are a complete waste of money and time. 

I did not meet Bush or Obama... I voted for both. 

I would never in a million years vote for Trump. He is a black eye on our country. 

I think in small communities where everyone knows everyone, it's probably a good idea to take your message directly to the people. Your approach works well with people in affluent cities and suburbs (which is where Hillary performed well, even better than her predecessors).

Mostly, I think what her calendar really shows is that Hillary and her campaign didn't put much emphasis on those places at all. I read that in one of the biggest Wisconsin swing counties, the only Dem representative who showed up was Barney Frank for 15 minutes. Their ground operation was largely ignored and there was very little coordination with the official campaign.

Robby Mook should probably never work anyones campaign ever again.

"Some good stuff in here" people who believe the drivel in the OP "should read over and over until it sinks in": 

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/11/newsweeks-kurt-eichenwald-continues-his-sad-spiral.html

Newsweek's Kurt Eichenwald Continues His Sad Spiral of Dishonesty and Delusion

I cannot think of an article that has frustrated me as much as the latest from Kurt Eichenwald in Newsweek, “The Myths Democrats Swallowed That Cost Them the Presidential Election.” In a condescending and long-winded rant, the columnist makes several outrageous statements and surprising allegations in a failed attempt to make sense of the election of President Donald Trump. So absurd is his assessment, and so widely read is Newsweek, that it’s clear a swift rebuttal is in order. With that in mind, my readers will forgive me for the length of this piece.

Let's begin.

The myth: Jill Stein voters made a difference in this election.

In his blistering (and revealing) introduction, Eichenwald channels Commander Lewis Prothero of Alan Moore’s graphic novel, V for Vendetta, painting himself as a strongman figure whose patriotism and commitment to his country runs deep—so much so that he sacrificed family time to do his job—to the risk of those lesser men around him. 

Reading his latest piece, it is impossible not to hear Roger Allam’s monologue: “ I’ll tell you what I wish. I wish I had been there! I wish I had the chance for a face-to-face. Just one chance, that’s all I’d need!”

Behold, Eichenald the Tough Guy:

. . .

A real savior of the republic, this guy…

The reality: Despite Eichenwald’s puffery, third party voters did not put Donald Trump in the White House. Hillary Clinton and people like Eichenwald did—but we’ll get to that later.

The two notable states where progressive Stein voters could have made a difference had they gone for Clinton instead, were Michigan and Wisconsin, and even if she had won both, it wouldn’t have tipped the balance of the election. It turns out, Eichenwald’s problem with truth isn’t limited to words…he’s no good with numbers, either. He should buy a calculator—the numbers don’t add up.

But there is something else fundamentally wrong with Eichenwald’s indignant analysis: Hillary Clinton was not entitled to anyone’s vote. Like any candidate, she has to earn support, and she failed in historic fashion, to arguably the least qualified candidate in history.

. . .

Profanity alert on the following:

https://shadowproof.com/2016/11/14/go-****-kurt-eichenwald/

GO **** YOURSELF, KURT EICHENWALD!

. . .

Eichenwald bashes Stein and Bernie Sanders supporters and blames them for spreading “conspiracy theories” that helped cost Democrats the election. The entire column is a toxic slab of slime with a level of contempt and hostility that is staggering, given that he centers it on someone who claimed to be a fan of his work. One can only imagine what he would have done if that person said they were not a fan but tried to talk to him.

This is absolutely the wrong reaction to the outcome of the election, however, it is the culmination of the worst genre of reporting and writing pumped out to the masses and popularized in the last year: vote shaming.

Journalists like Kurt Eichenwald feel it is their place to shame voters for their choices and tell them what to do. At the same time, trust in journalists, who work for mass media, is at a historic low. Is it any wonder why people trying to navigate a broken and corrupt electoral system that only gives them two choices every four years do not have confidence in the press, which elevates people who will attack them for refusing to fall in line?

. . .

This seems the best place for this

Jon Stewart with Charlie Rose, discussing the outcome of the 2016 election

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-11-17/jon-stewart-talks-about-the-election-with-charlie-rose

I miss Stewart. I disagree with him on many political issues, but he has a way with words and an insightfunness that is second to very, very few

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

This seems the best place for this

Jon Stewart with Charlie Rose, discussing the outcome of the 2016 election

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-11-17/jon-stewart-talks-about-the-election-with-charlie-roseUrlAdvisorGoodImage.png

I miss Stewart. I disagree with him on many political issues, but he has a way with words and an insightfunness that is second to very, very few

Hail to that.  He held people accountable...and they were willing to take it from him. 

Truly a gem of our time, and I can only name a handful of others...like Sean Taylor gem quality, HTTR...you get the point.

Archived