Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump and his cabinet/buffoonery- Get your bunkers ready!

brandymac27

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/06/25/opinion/trump-sarah-huckabee-sanders-restaurant-civility.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytopinion

Whether or not you think public shaming should be happening, it’s important to understand why it’s happening. It’s less a result of a breakdown in civility than a breakdown of democracy. Though it’s tiresome to repeat it, Donald Trump eked out his minority victory with help from a hostile foreign power. He has ruled exclusively for his vengeful supporters, who love the way he terrifies, outrages and humiliates their fellow citizens. Trump installed the right-wing Neil Gorsuch in the Supreme Court seat that Republicans stole from Barack Obama. Gorsuch, in turn, has been the fifth vote in decisions on voter roll purges and, on Monday, racial gerrymandering that will further entrench minority rule.

All over the country, Republican members of Congress have consistently refused to so much as meet with many of the scared, furious citizens they ostensibly represent. A great many of these citizens are working tirelessly to take at least one house of Congress in the midterms — which will require substantially more than 50 percent of total votes, given structural Republican advantages — so that the country’s anti-Trump majority will have some voice in the federal government.

and

The right’s revulsion against a black president targeted by birther conspiracy theories is not the same as the left’s revulsion against a racist president who spread birther conspiracy theories.

9 minutes ago, visionary said:

I don't know...harassment is still harassment even if done for a good cause.  (I can't listen to it right now, so I don't know what they said.)

Why do they deserve special treatment?

Their decisions abuse people from a distance and yet are supposedly immune from confrontation. No way.

No one else is holding them to account.

I remember a few years ago, maybe more recently than that, the right was complaining that fans at a baseball game booed a politician. They said, keep sports pure, no politics. I argued against that, saying that when does a citizen get a chance to directly express their opinion. Isn't it an important right that we the people get that opportunity.

So, I really don't find fault with a citizen playing this tape or telling a politician what they think about them or their policies. There are lines. Violence is not acceptable. Threats are not acceptable. Etc. That said, if you see a politician and elect not to speak you are making a choice and that's okay, but you may be shirking your duty as a citizen. This democratic experiment needs politicians to hear from more than toadies, lobbyists, fellow politicians, and the billionaire class else they lose touch with their job. How can they represent us if they never hear or see us?

Now, it can backfire which is why discourse and reasoned debate is considered higher than shouting and insulting, but I'm not telling anyone to shelve their First Amendment freedoms so a politician can be left in peace.

19 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Why do they deserve special treatment?

Their decisions abuse people from a distance and yet are supposedly immune from confrontation. No way.

No one else is holding them to account.

So I can't expect any complaints from you on people berating/harassing the press?

Or are they immune?

33 minutes ago, visionary said:

I don't know...harassment is still harassment even if done for a good cause.  (I can't listen to it right now, so I don't know what they said.)

They didnt really say anything out of control. 

How can you sleep at night

Why are you doing this

Stuff like that. They were a little emotional for my tastes but I can understand it in this case I guess. 

3 minutes ago, twa said:

So I can't expect any complaints from you on people berating/harassing the press?

Or are they immune?

You mean like Trumplodytes have done for two years+ at his campaign rallies? 

BTW, from what we’ve seen so far of these confrontations they fall far from the President calling members of the press “enemies of the people”.

Just now, AsburySkinsFan said:

BTW, from what we’ve seen so far of these confrontations they fall far from the President calling members of the press “enemies of the people”.

lynchingtshirt.png?itok=t18mw_nS

1 minute ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

yes like those, maybe at their house or where they eat or play though.

You OK with that?

I really can't believe that the story of the day where the line is with respect to interactions with public servants and whether it is okay to interrupt their meal, and not the multiple thousands of children that have been forcibly separated from their families and stuck into cages by the American federal government in 2018.  

Archived