Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump and his cabinet/buffoonery- Get your bunkers ready!

brandymac27

On 3/30/2018 at 1:42 PM, Larry said:

Still, the impression I have is that the people who actually use the VA, right now, think it's at least better than everybody else, right now. 

Its not.

2 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

The way to stop it is first vote Trump and Republicans out. Second is to pass serious campaign finance reform, and third is to pass and ratify an amendment to overturn Citizens United.

1.  Sure hope so.

2. No chance.

3. No chance.

As important as gun control is, I wish the same effort and outrage from that was instead focused on 2 and 3.  Far more important in the long run IMO.

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Its not.

Well, sure can't argue with a well supported, well reasoned, argument like that.  :)

Here's three links from the first page of a Google search for "va patient satisfaction percentage".  (In the order they're listed.)  

WaPo (2014): VA hospitals on par with private sector for patient satisfaction 

Former military service members using Department of Veterans Affairs hospitals are just as happy with their care as patients using private medical clinics, according to a leading customer-satisfaction survey.

The American Customer Satisfaction Index for 2013 shows that the VA health network, which serves more than 8 million veterans, achieved marks equal to or better than those in the private sector.

The health system earned overall satisfaction indexes of 84 for inpatient care and 82 for outpatient services, while the U.S. hospital industry earned scores of 80 and 83 in those categories, respectively.

(Which, I will point out, does not support my claim that they found it better, either.  More like a tie.)  

And this one makes it more of a mixed report.  

Reuters (2017): VA may top other hospitals in quality but not patient satisfaction

Veterans Affairs (VA) hospitals in the U.S. may deliver higher quality care than other medical centers but still get lower marks on patient satisfaction, a new study suggests.

Researchers examined data for 129 VA and 4,010 non-VA hospitals nationwide and found the VA had lower rates of six complications tied to quality: pressure ulcers, deaths of surgical patients with serious treatable conditions, care-related lung injuries, clots in the vein in surgical patients, catheter-related bloodstream infections, post-operative bloodstream infections and post-operative surgical wound ruptures. Rates of other complications tied to quality were similar at VA and non-VA hospitals.

For some common medical problems, the VA also had lower mortality rates and lower rates of repeat hospitalizations than other hospitals, the study found.

But when it came to several measures of patient satisfaction like doctors’ and nurses’ communication skills and pain management, the VA lagged behind.

“The VA certainly looks good on many of these measures, but they definitely have room for improvement regarding the patient experience,” said senior study author Dr. Karl Bilimoria, director of the Surgical Outcomes and Quality Improvement Center at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago.

“Patients at VA hospitals were less likely to recommend VA hospitals to friends or family than patients at non-VA hospitals,” Bilimoria said by email.

Here's a peer-reviewed journal from 2017:  (American Journal of Managed Care)

Patient Ratings of Veterans Affairs and Affiliated Hospitals

Conclusions: VA hospitals had higher patient ratings than their non-VA affiliated hospitals, a finding not explained by bed size or teaching status.

Although I note:  I'm not quite sure what they mean by "affiliated hospitals".  Do they mean "all non-VA hospitals"?  Or "Hospitals which are affiliated with the VA, but aren't completely run by the VA"?  So that study may not mean what I think it means.  

Also note:  The peer-reviewed study compares how well the hospitals were rated on Yelp.  So what we have here might be a scientific analysis of garbage data.  

@Larry well while I dont have a survey backing me up, I do have a sister who works for the VA, several siblings and other family members who are disabled veterans, and myself.  While I am still active duty, I do deal with VA when DOD sends me there and also for other matters since I am nearing retirement.  All the experiences I have heard are very negative.  The only reason I can think of why veterans are somewhat favorable to the VA is because they compare it to the total **** show that is DOD healthcare.  I once got diagnosed with Lou Gherigs disease (turned out to just be a kidney stone).  I also currently have a bulging disk in my neck that causes random numbness and migraines.  Took over a month to get MRI scheduled.

Though I should admit I dont have much recent experience in civilian healthcare so maybe it is just as bad.  Really hope not though. 

1 hour ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

Well edited video showing how Sinclair pushes its message through local media outlets:

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/how-americas-largest-local-tv-owner-turned-its-news-anc-1824233490/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Had to tell my people to stop watching news from certain stations after seeing the John Oliver segment on Sinclair.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stations_owned_or_operated_by_Sinclair_Broadcast_Group#By_state_and_market

Wikipedia coming through with a list. Didn't know ABC 7 was bought up by them.

Archived