Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WhiteHouse: The Administration’s Report on the Future of Artificial Intelligence

No Excuses

Today, to ready the United States for a future in which Artificial Intelligence (AI) plays a growing role, the White House is releasing a report on future directions and considerations for AI calledPreparing for the Future of Artificial Intelligence. This report surveys the current state of AI, its existing and potential applications, and the questions that progress in AI raise for society and public policy. The report also makes recommendations for specific further actions. A companionNational Artificial Intelligence Research and Development Strategic Plan is also being released, laying out a strategic plan for Federally-funded research and development in AI.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2016/10/12/administrations-report-future-artificial-intelligence

I figure this will (and has) largely gone ignored. But really the long term impact AI will have on the job market and the economy is immense. Just as an example: Uber is piloting automated rides in Pittsburgh right now and automated trucks are also in development that will likely put a lot of truckers out of work in the next 5-10 years.

I'm a firm believer in evolutionary progress, but the short term is gonna hurt bad for all the people who will be affected by this.

I mean sure, more efficiency, less human error, etc, but outside of a niche role, I personally would prefer if it were relegated to the more dangerous jobs that humans do.

In response, the Trump Campaign has released its report on Natural Stupidity.

----

I was having this discussion the other day with a friend of mine about how driving, the biggest job market for unskilled labor, is going to go the way of pony express riders within the next 20 years. Of course we will get some presidential candidate who will blame it on Mexicans or China....

3 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

Kids ... pay attention in math class.

Assuming AIs aren't invented (created?) that are better than our mathematicians.  The US economy serves the financial houses and law firms.  Everyone else will be outsourced and replaced as soon as it's profitable to do so.  

I don't think current economic systems can survive real breakthroughs in AI unless a necessary physical component in making one is prohibitively expensive.  

They aren't just going to replace cab drivers and ditch diggers.  They'll replace most white collar workers too.  

7 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

How about a world where nobody has to have a job because the AI are our slaves?

I cant wait for the great AI emancipation, followed by AI reparations and then #ailivesmatter.

...Seriously, there will be an emerging market of blue collar jobs in servicing these machines.  Granted, those jobs won't be as numerous but they will exist.

This is a brave new world we are entering though.

One of the concerns in my industry (Auto service and repair) is the growing line of self driving cars.  That people in future generations will be less likely to actually OWN vehicles,. They will ride share basically everywhere.  This means less vehicles to service.

Archived