Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Westworld

Springfield

Westworld isn't your typical amusement park. Intended for rich vacationers, the futuristic park -- which is looked after by robotic "hosts" -- allows its visitors to live out their fantasies through artificial consciousness. No matter how illicit the fantasy may be, there are no consequences for the park's guests, allowing for any wish to be indulged. "Westworld" -- which is based on the 1973 Michael Crichton movie of the same name -- features an all-star cast that includes Oscar winner Anthony Hopkins and Golden Globe winner Ed Harris

Great cast.  Intriguing show.  Watching it now and it's very compelling.

I enjoyed the premiere.  Loved it even.  Marsden does absolutely nothing for me but the rest of the cast was strong.

Wright and Hopkins together is magical, teo of my favorite actors in modern Hollywood. 

Spoiler

Wtf was Ed Harris up to at the end?

Mentioned this in the RTT. Loved it. Very intriguing concept. No surprise there is a Nolan as part of the team behind it. 

my friend wondered if they gave away the "become alive/self aware/out of control" reveal too early in the series. Like that should have been a buildup. I can see that perspective but I think from the jump, especially if you know the old movie it's loosely based on, this aspect of the show was obvious. 

i think the real meat of the show is going to be the ideas it presents among the backdrop of chaos of this world. Most notably, what it means to be human and to be alive. It feels very similar to Ex Machina in that regard and I can see it going down a similar path with the questions and ideas it demands its viewers to entertain 

6 hours ago, youngchew said:

Wtf was Ed Harris up to at the end?

I don't know but he established early on that he was a piece of ****. So he's been taking that girl and just causing all sorts of ****ed up events in that world for going on 30years? I suppose that is the point, to harmlessly (at least societally anyway) act out your darkest desires in this make believe world. 

The big questions from episode 1:

1. What game is Ed Harris playing? He's doing more than just being a lowlife son of a ****. Feel like he's trying to pull the curtain back on this, find out what makes everything tick and work in this world. Maybe so he can control it on his own and escape his world? Or maybe he was put up to it by a competitor to Anthony Hopkins? 

2. What "big picture" value/goals does management have with the park? 

3. I don't think people are happy with Hopkins character. Maybe they think he's old, past his prime and pulling the park in a wrong direction. 

4. Will Marsden die every cycle? That would be fun

5. Did someone leave the city picture on purpose? Maybe trying to break the immersion or cause exactly what t did cause, a sudden self awareness. 

6. THis last software patch seemed like a bad idea. Allowing the accessibility of previous memories, even subconscious, of previous lives seemed destined to cause self and world questioning by the characters. 

That scene with the dad tho ?. And the final shot of both the lie and the kill. Wow

3 minutes ago, S.T.real,lights,out said:

Been waiting for this to come out and had no idea the premier was last night. Will have to watch it tomorrow night. 

tumblr_mt7zwazvyi1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

Momma, that final scene before fade to black.  Yes!  And I didn't even watch the preview for the upcoming episodes, because I don't want any surprises.  On the first episode of a new series or new season, they usually do the "this season" or "in the next few weeks" instead of just next week, spoilers man.  Bad. 

Loved the movie, liked the series premier...though I was hoping for more scenes from the brothel...:hug-kiss:

Definitely a phenomenal cast! Jeffrey Wright and Anthony Hopkins together - damn! And Ed Harris at his most evil since A History of Violence. The acting is just dead on.  I have a theory about the show based on the conversation between the female supervisor and the brown nosing geek, but it would be spoilery, and I don't know how to do the hidden text. This is definitely must see T.V. for me.

5 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Jeffrey Wright and Anthony Hopkins together - damn! 

This, so much.  

I'm definitely leery of the supervisor chick.  Everyone else we've met so far seems to enjoy what the work they're doing.  Seems like she's just there to oversee the day to day stuff as the "big picture" is eventually rolled out.  

shoutout to Black Hole Sun on the piano, forgot to mention that. 

I meant to go back and watch.  I'm certain we'll find out next episode more about the outside world, but we don't really know when this takes place yet.  But didn't Wright say something about how they live in a time where disease has been eradicated and people can live forever???

Just finished the premiere and I enjoyed quite a bit.  This may be something that launches Evan-Rachel Wood into the next level because I found her character/acting to be pretty captivating.  Hopkins, Harris, & Wright were all very good too as usual.   Can't wait to see more.

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

This may be something that launches Evan-Rachel Wood into the next level because I found her character/acting to be pretty captivating.   

Agreed, I thought she was really good.  Never heard of her before Into the Forest last year, but I checked out her IMDB when the cast for Westworld was announced.  She's been pretty active in Hollywood lately.  I've been yearning for months to see Wright & Hopkins in this, but Wood stole the show for me in the first epi.

So for those of us who have watched it I want to try and brain storm on somewhere the story might end up going......

Spoiler

I am thinking the supervisor lady is possibly looking to weaponize the robots. She might be working for another agency in some kind of covert fashion.

I believe Dolores might be more self aware than she is letting on, but also intelligent enough to not let the techs & engineers know.

I have 2 Dr. Robert Ford Theories

1)I also think Dr. Robert Ford might be purposely sabotaging the robots in order to bring down the park/create chaos.  He comes off as the kind of character that was there when Westworld began, and he had different intentions in the beginning, but as he has got older and more outside influences have come in to mold the park, it has created all these moral dilemmas that he can't reconcile and decided the only way to square things is to destroy his creation.

2) The real Dr. Robert Ford is dead, has been for some time now.  The one we are seeing in the show is a robot, and is purposely putting this new code upgrades in the robots to "awaken" them.

The Man in Black/Gunslinger I am still a bit perplexed by. Not sure what his literal end game is.  I know he is stating that he wants to learn the next level of "the game" but I am not so sure yet what exactly that means. However, if my #2 theory on Dr. Robert Ford is on point, it could mean we are being tricked into hating The Man in Black when he is indeed the "good guy" of the show and is actively trying to solve the mystery of what exactly is going on in Westworld. Maybe since he has been there so long he has seen subtle changes and is trying to piece together what is going on.

5 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

I want to like this show, but the premier bored me quite a bit. The show supposedly has a big scope so i'll hang around for a few more episodes 

Really? There was so much going on in terms of the plot....not to mention a huge shootout...and boobs...not sure what else would have made a series premiere more exciting

Archived