Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Standing during the Pledge or National Anthem

Burgold

49 minutes ago, KingGibbs said:

Feel good story and God bless him for appreciating one of the many things our flag represents. (Bang)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/09/13/clutching-his-tiny-american-flag-redskins-lineman-becomes-a-u-s-citizen/?tid=sm_fb

great story.

I just got my citizenship a few months ago. that little flag he's holding, I keep it in my car hanging from the passengers side visor.

its a perspective not everyone can appreciate.

• Like 2

What do you think the overlap is between the population who are critical of Kaepernick for 'disrespecting' the flag/anthem, and the population who booed POTUS during the unfurling of the flag and the prerecorded announcement commemorating 9/11.

CsFpKZmXEAQfTyu.jpg:large

Edited by Corcaigh

46 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

What do you think the overlap is between the population who are critical of Kaepernick for 'disrespecting' the flag/anthem, and the population who booed POTUS during the unfurling of the flag and the prerecorded announcement commemorating 9/11.

CsFpKZmXEAQfTyu.jpg:large

I posted this earlier, and one poster decided to ignore this point and argue that not everyone who boos the president is racist. (which I never said)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I posted this earlier, and one poster decided to ignore this point and argue that not everyone who boos the president is racist. (which I never said)

Hey now, 1st Amendment and all that... :)

Now if only we can get that same crowd to acknowledge that kneeling/sitting doesn't mean you hate your country or don't respect our troops 

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

*insert kermit drinking tea meme*

Edited by RonArtest15

SLATE:Colin Kaepernick’s Protest Is Working

Interesting part:

Just as important, Kaepernick has made his fellow Americans think about what they’re standing for, and why. It wasn’t typical for NFL players to stand for the national anthem until 2009—before then, it was customary for players to stay in the locker room as the anthem played.*

Players did not have to be on the field during the anthem, but it changed in 2009. This is what an effective protest looks like. Those issues are now being talked about. Athletes from professional down to high school are taking stands. ANd even team owners are speaking out.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin
  • Like 4

screen-shot-2016-09-14-at-10-36-29-am.pn

"Every time an athlete or celebrity gets into a scandal, there’s an endless amount of people saying, ‘Hey! People look up to you! You’re not just an athlete, you’re a role model! Use your fame to make a difference! But then as soon as one of those athletes stands up and says, ‘Hey, I believe in something,’ people say, ‘Hey, shut up! We don’t pay you to think! Just play your silly game! Move on! Who do you think you are, a role model!"

• Like 7

On 9/14/2016 at 7:20 AM, Bang said:

if all the anthem is to you is a paean to the military,,that's a shame. Such a narrow view of our country is hard for me to fathom. The over-militaristic and ultra nationalist path we're on will not end well. Historically, it never does.

this country is so much more, and as a "NATIONAL" anthem it represents all of the facets that make us who and what we are.

~Bang

What kinda libruhl pinko commie are you anyway fella? Get with the program! Freedum ain't free ya know. 

On 9/14/2016 at 7:50 AM, MattFancy said:

Hope you do it at home when you're watching TV and it's on

A great mental picture that is. :ols:

This is from the Cowboys/Skins fight thread...

An officer on a bike pulls up and it this point I'm angry and disgusted.  I went right up to the cop and said, "THAT guy right there is drunk as ****, he's driving THIS car right here, AND I have a 30 second video of him assaulting two different women."  The cop looks at me right in the face as I'm pulling out my phone and goes, "I do no want to see any videos.  Do not show me any videos."  And I was like, "Officer, are you being serious?  I witnessed an assault and the guy is literally right there."  He turned his back his back to me and started talking with a nasty old woman who was yelling at me "You a snitch!  He didn't punch nobody!"

This is EXACTLY why you have people not standing for the anthem.  Unbelievable, but believable....if that makes sense.  SMH. 

• Like 1

http://www.spin.com/2016/09/remember-when-jimi-hendrix-protested-the-national-anthem-on-a-national-stage/

Remember When Jimi Hendrix Protested the National Anthem on a National Stage?

White baby boomers, who benefitted so much from the same power structures that radicals of the 1960s stood against, were nonetheless seduced by the decade’s music and culture, by the spirit and aesthetics of rebellion, if not by its actual ideas. Leave the politics, take the guitar solos. As boomers grew up and began telling the stories of the ’60s, Hendrix’s “Banner” performance, like much of the era’s anti-war activism, was both lionized and neutered in the American imagination. The bloody failure of the war in Vietnam is remembered as a forgone conclusion; its protesters as benevolent flower children who simply arrived a few years early to the idea that America’s involvement was futile, and ushered the rest of society along with their groovy tunes and fashionable sunglasses. But in reality, protesting the war was a bold and often dangerous decision, physically or politically. (Sometimes you were killed for it.) According to the rock historian Lauren Onkey, Hendrix and his band were threatened with violence if they played “The Star Spangled Banner” during a tour stop in Dallas.

On 9/20/2016 at 9:33 AM, RonArtest15 said:

This is from the Cowboys/Skins fight thread...

This is EXACTLY why you have people not standing for the anthem.  Unbelievable, but believable....if that makes sense.  SMH. 

The country where poor disgusting trash like that can afford the many $hundreds it takes to attend an NFL game?

Though it's cool we're going with anecdotes now, I guess.  I have a few.  Anyone want to hear one?  

• Like 1