Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Standing during the Pledge or National Anthem

Burgold

12 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I saw the clip and that is not what trump said.  He was saying people (more specifically players) who don't stand for the anthem maybe shouldn't be in the country.  For the record, I disagree with that statement.  But judge him for what he said.  He didn't call out black players.  He talked about people kneeling.  Didn't some white players kneel?  Didn't at least one rich old white dude kneel?  Know she could have said trump "impleyed black players should leave" but even that would be a reach.  But saying he said black players should leave just isn't true and feeds the bull**** fake news idiots.

Trump gives you SO MUCH ammo to attack him with, there is no need to make up or embellish what he says.

As much as he disgusts me I have to agree. But that is what they wanted to hear even though it was as you said. People want to love him or want to hate him. He's that polarizing and weirdly charismatic to many. And knows exactly what he's doing. Sometimes I wonder if he wants people to hate him? We can't know for certain.

Edited by Zguy28

20 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I saw the clip and that is not what trump said.  He was saying people (more specifically players) who don't stand for the anthem maybe shouldn't be in the country.  For the record, I disagree with that statement.  But judge him for what he said.  He didn't call out black players.  He talked about people kneeling.  Didn't some white players kneel?  Didn't at least one rich old white dude kneel?  Know she could have said trump "impleyed black players should leave" but even that would be a reach.  But saying he said black players should leave just isn't true and feeds the bull**** fake news idiots.

Trump gives you SO MUCH ammo to attack him with, there is no need to make up or embellish what he says.

Good point.  Although I wonder if Trump knows that white players and maybe some owners I think, also kneeled, or if he assumed everyone who kneeled was black.  In any case, you're right.  They shouldn't report it as if he singled out black players.

Edited by visionary
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Corcaigh said:

If the anthem is sacred maybe you shouldn't ask Roseanne Barr or Carl Lewis to sing it.

Honestly... now that I think about it... the people I know that (legitimately) are upset about it, were also quite upset about that. Like... really upset. Didn't Barr sit there and spit while "singing"? I recall quite a bit of outrage over it, but I think it was before things "going viral" so the outrage could have just been localized...

27 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

But saying he said black players should leave just isn't true and feeds the bull**** fake news idiots.

They don't care anymore. They say they do, but they make it clear they don't. They're guilty of the same nonsense they've spent quite a bit of time lambasting others for over the last 2 years.

Twitter as a news platform is a complete and utter joke. It's incredible how many people have fallen into it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

If yall really gonna sit here and give him the benefit of the doubt on this one? Thats so foolish and ridiculous. You know exactly what hes saying. 

I think we can wonder what he meant and worry about the repercussions, but we should try to be accurate about what he said as well.

• Like 2

No one is saying Trump said the word "black people" however it is also common knowledge the issues surrounding why the protests were/are taking place revolve around issues concerning minority communities the most.   Yes, there are a handful of white players who joined in to show support for their teammates and no one is discounting that, but to pretend like this isn't another case of Trump or the GOP at large trying to portray certain people as "the other" and deserving of whatever he makes up on the spot is being intellectually dishonest.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, tshile said:

They don't care anymore. They say they do, but they make it clear they don't. They're guilty of the same nonsense they've spent quite a bit of time lambasting others for over the last 2 years.

Twitter as a news platform is a complete and utter joke. It's incredible how many people have fallen into it.

I guess people have fallen for the "if you can't beat'em, join'em."

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

The media should report what he said and let the readers/viewers make the (extremely obvious) leap to what he meant.  

Or at least let the apologists explain it. ..cause he means what he says and says what he means. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

No one is saying Trump said the word "black people" however it is also common knowledge the issues surrounding why the protests were/are taking place revolve around issues concerning minority communities the most. 

It's also common knowledge that the protest has the support of a ton of white people in this country, and that the people against it are firing shots at the entire group.

We can play this game all day. You either care about the words people are using, or you don't. You either think it's OK to interject your own interpretation of everyone's words into their meaning, or you don't. You either sling mud around or you don't. 

Also - It's one thing to speak about trump, because he is what he is and I don't see anything worth defending there.

But what they've done is then apply that to everyone who disagrees with them.

Because it's really easy to just wipe away the opposition and pay them no mind when you can just point and scream "racist!" as is done so often now.

Edited by tshile

1 minute ago, tshile said:

It's also common knowledge that the protest has the support of a ton of white people in this country, and that the people against it are firing shots at the entire group.

We can play this game all day. You either care about the words people are using, or you don't. You either think it's OK to interject your own interpretation of everyone's words into their meaning, or you don't. You either sling mud around or you don't. 

I mean, seriously. You really dont think its obvious Trump is talking about black people when he said they maybe should be in the country? 

• Like 1

Just now, tshile said:

Yes I understand that, but when you turn on the news what is the narrative, who are depicted as "anti-cop thugs" on the TV every night. 

Just now, Llevron said:

I mean, seriously. You really dont think its obvious Trump is talking about black people when he said they maybe should be in the country? 

Honestly? No I think he's speaking about anyone who supports it.

And if you're curious, yes I think Trump is racist. I just think his attack is at the entire group, because that's pretty much what everything is these days. Topic -> Divide into two groups -> attack each other.

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

Yes I understand that, but when you turn on the news what is the narrative, who are depicted as "anti-cop thugs" on the TV every night. 

the people rioting in the streets burning down their cities

which i recall plenty of white people being on the screen.

Just now, Llevron said:

70% black league, and an issue that affects minorities, primarily young black men, who represent that 70%. Lol

19 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

No one is saying Trump said the word "black people" 

Actually the tweet I was referring to specifically used those words.

For the people saying it is obvious Trump meant black people (and I'm not saying that assumption is without merit), do you agree that is not what Trump actually said?  And if you agree with that, do you think the media should report what was said verbatim or should the media take what is said and impart their opinion of the meaning?  (psstttt.........The latter is called Fox News.)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Actually the tweet I was referring to specifically used those words.

For the people saying it is obvious Trump meant black people (and I'm not saying that assumption is without merit), do you agree that is not what Trump actually said?  And if you agree with that, do you think the media should report what was said verbatim or should the media take what is said and impart their opinion of the meaning?  (psstttt.........The latter is called Fox News.)

Ok, hold on.  I don't know if she's a reporter.  I think (checking her page) she actually works for Move On...so not exactly an unbiased source.  I just thought she had an interesting take at first glance.  So maybe it's my bad for posting her tweet.  I don't know that I've seen the media misrepresenting Trump on this yet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, visionary said:

Ok, hold on.  I don't know if she's a reporter.  I think (checking her page) she actually works for Move On...so not exactly an unbiased source.  I just thought she had an interesting take at first glance.  So maybe it's my bad for posting her tweet.  I don't know that I've seen the media misrepresenting Trump on this yet.

The bottom paragraph in my post wasn't so much referring to your tweet in particular.  More a thought on people seeming to excuse a distorition because it fit with their preconceived notions.  I was wondering what standard they would use for the media.

PS....I always thought the things you post were from them media though.  I don't use twitter much and you have mostly become my main source of news.  Thanks!

33 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

No one is saying Trump said the word "black people" however it is also common knowledge the issues surrounding why the protests were/are taking place revolve around issues concerning minority communities the most.   Yes, there are a handful of white players who joined in to show support for their teammates and no one is discounting that, but to pretend like this isn't another case of Trump or the GOP at large trying to portray certain people as "the other" and deserving of whatever he makes up on the spot is being intellectually dishonest.

I have no issue with anyone that has that particular read on it, because Trump made his own bed and I'm not going to feel bad about him having to sleep in it.  However, long before NFL players decided to protest during the anthem there was flag burning, hippies, anti war protestors, and communists.  These groups were not predominately made up of minorities or about minority issues and yet the right wing had a very strong angry reaction to all of those groups similar to what we're seeing directed at NFL anthem protestors.  It's really not unreasonable to think that they may just be extremely touchy about their patriotism/nationalism. 

Then again there is no way of knowing how many of these touchy nationalists are also racist. 

• Like 4