Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sunday Ticket 2016

Bliz

Anyone make the call yet, and how'd you do?

With the season a month away it seemed like a good time to call them and ask for discounts to renew.  But I did not do so well.  They offered me 10% off the Max at first, then 15% off (which would bring it to a little over $300).  I rejected both.  She put me on hold for a while, then came back and said the 15% was the best they could do.  Also threatened that I would "lose" ability to request any credits if I actually cancelled, then called back to reactivate.  So I blinked at that, and maintained status quo.  Didn't accept the offers, didn't cancel it either. 

Maybe next time I'll start with saying I want to cancel directv at the voice prompt to get to a better division of customer service, and not just the Sunday ticket group.

Yeah last year the guy called my bluff and started to cancel it for me.  I finally just paid for it, **** it I have the money.

I've gotten it for free a couple of years though.  Just go in guns blazing and say something along the lines of I don't like how new customers get the package for free and I don't.  I quit.

I think they are on to the game people are playing, now.  I've been reading for 5 years how people do this every year, but it seems less and less successful lately.  I've never tried.  I'm not good at bluffing. I did call to make sure that I got the cheapest version. I don't need Red Zone, I won't watch on my phone, laptop or any other mobile device.  I just want all of the games.  My price is $270 for the season.  I can handle that.

I called originally to make sure I get the Redskins-Cincy London game.  I've heard that it might be a "streaming only" game like the Detroit-Buffalo game was last year.  She stated the schedule on her computer did not go that far.  I'll call back in September, since the game is October 30th.

Since the merger with AT&T (even right before) they are not giving out deals like they used to in the past.  My dad used to get it for free, multiple years in a row, and he didn't have any pay channels, etc.  But was a charter member where he lives (one of the first to have DTV).  I used to be able to pull out some great deals, get it free, hugely discounted, etc.

Past couple of years, the best I can get is they give me discounts off of my current programming.  Since I have the Premier package (with all the pay channels), I usually get a lump sum off for 6-12 months for HBO, Max, Showtime, Starz and the regional sports package.  Sometimes a flat discount of like $5 off my bill for a year.  Which normally negates the cost of the NFL Ticket.  So it's like breaking even.

I've been meaning to get separate subscriptions to HBO Now, then Starz and Showtime through Amazon Prime Instant or Hulu and downgrading my programming to the choice or xtra package.  Even with adding on stand alone subs outside of DTV, I'd save $50 per month.  I don't need the redzone or fantasy stuff for NFL Ticket, so it would cost $270 full price and no discounts since I'd have nothing to discount as far as channels go, which would still be $330/year cheaper than I'm paying now.

If I could do that and talk them into 15% off the price, that would save another $40.  I need to get my **** together lol

This is the first year that they didn't give me much at all. I got $25 off, plus $10 off a month for 6 months. I have premiere too and the lady wouldn't budge. I never threaten to cancel, just tell them the truth, it's allot of money and I spend a s-load with them already.

looks like the era of cheap nfl ticket is over,....

Hate to do it but may have to cancel next year. Got a leelbox. 

And the skins will be on tv at least 6 times this year. So, I am only paying for 10 games, that sux ass. I do love redzone... 

My contract is up in September.  Im hoping this provides me leverage.  Living in the area, I don't truly "need" it. I do like watching Red Zone and they will not provide solely that channel, you must purchase the most expensive package to get it.  Last year, I inquired about getting Red Zone only and they gave me just that channel free without any badgering.  If they aren't willing to come off free NFL ticket and a reduced rate to sign up for 2 more years, I really will go with Comcast who is much cheaper and has RZ as part of the sports package.

Sooner or later it becomes a quality of life issue. How much time do I wish to devote to arguing with DTV vs paying full price? I've negotiated the full ST package for free in past years, only to find the game mix by week two, and no Redzone like they said I would have.  This year I paid full price and don't really care to negotiate bc I'm a month to month contract. I've been with DTV since 2002. They know I'm not leaving. They know ST is the only reason I stay. They got me over a barrel. 

This is the second year in a row that I've been able to get Sunday Ticket for free and a bunch of other discounts.  Last year was the first time I ever called to do it so maybe that plays a factor?

I say I'm calling to cancel right off the bat and they transfer me to customer retention. When they ask why I'm cancelling I tell them that I have had DirecTV for 10 years now and have never had a problem/issue but with Apple TV and Netflix/HBO Now/etc I can get pretty much everything I want to watch at a much cheaper price. They usually ask what I will miss with DirecTV or if there is anything they could do to keep me and I tell them that the only reason I got DirecTV to begin with is for Sunday Ticket. They usually try to offer a discount and I decline, then they will put me on hold to "see what they can do." Then they will come back on and offer Sunday Ticket for free with a bunch of other discounts.

This year they lowered my bill to $60 per month with HBO and Sunday Ticket. I think you just have to be 100% willing to cancel if they don't give you what you are looking for. The guy I spoke with last year flat out told me to call back every August and they would give me discounts to keep me.  

11 minutes ago, Jaron said:

This is the second year in a row that I've been able to get Sunday Ticket for free and a bunch of other discounts.  Last year was the first time I ever called to do it so maybe that plays a factor?

I say I'm calling to cancel right off the bat and they transfer me to customer retention. When they ask why I'm cancelling I tell them that I have had DirecTV for 10 years now and have never had a problem/issue but with Apple TV and Netflix/HBO Now/etc I can get pretty much everything I want to watch at a much cheaper price. They usually ask what I will miss with DirecTV or if there is anything they could do to keep me and I tell them that the only reason I got DirecTV to begin with is for Sunday Ticket. They usually try to offer a discount and I decline, then they will put me on hold to "see what they can do." Then they will come back on and offer Sunday Ticket for free with a bunch of other discounts.

This year they lowered my bill to $60 per month with HBO and Sunday Ticket. I think you just have to be 100% willing to cancel if they don't give you what you are looking for. The guy I spoke with last year flat out told me to call back every August and they would give me discounts to keep me.  

You know you don't have to threaten to cancel to get the discounts right?  Which will cancel out the price of the ST anyhow.  What plan do you have through them (Choice, Xtra, etc.)?  And when you say $60 per month is that only the plan, w/HBO and ST?  You still have the other fees that apply (per TV fee, DVR rental, taxes, etc.)?  

2 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

You know you don't have to threaten to cancel to get the discounts right?  Which will cancel out the price of the ST anyhow.  What plan do you have through them (Choice, Xtra, etc.)?  And when you say $60 per month is that only the plan, w/HBO and ST?  You still have the other fees that apply (per TV fee, DVR rental, taxes, etc.)?  

It's not so much a threat as I've been leaning towards cutting the cord for a while now. I actually was going to cancel last year until the guy offered free Sunday Ticket and some other discounts to go along with it.  The first time they don't offer free Sunday Ticket I will cancel. The plan I have with them is Choice and my total bill is $60.16 which includes Choice, HBO, Ticket and all fees.

This will be my first season in over 12 years without DirecTV and the Sunday Ticket.  I've had it free and discounted many times and usually DTV is cool about helping you out if you're cool back to them.

With that being said, I'm really glad to have Xfinity this year because I will just have the Red Zone Channel.  Over the past few years, if I'm not watching the Skins game, I am glued to RZC.  They don't really miss anything so I haven't watched the random games in quite some time.  I wish DTV gave the option just to have the RZC and not the whole package.

I still think DirecTV is the best tv service available. 

27 minutes ago, Jaron said:

It's not so much a threat as I've been leaning towards cutting the cord for a while now. I actually was going to cancel last year until the guy offered free Sunday Ticket and some other discounts to go along with it.  The first time they don't offer free Sunday Ticket I will cancel. The plan I have with them is Choice and my total bill is $60.16 which includes Choice, HBO, Ticket and all fees.

Yeah, I don't know if they will give me the discount for choice if I switch to that from the premium package.  I've been meaning to downgrade and pick up HBO, Showtime and Starz from the streaming services.  Probably just need to suck it up and pull the trigger and deal with it this year. 

47 minutes ago, CBass1724 said:

I wish DTV gave the option just to have the RZC and not the whole package.

It's not an option that they sell, but they gave it to me free last year when I told them it was more important to me than the actual games.  I advised them that Comcast includes it as part of their sports package and I'd be willing to move carriers simply for that reason. 

I ended up with the ticket free this year but that's because when I bought my house and called to get my service moved they gave me the max pack for free as a show of appreciation for moving the service with me.  I didn't even inquire or anything it was just part of the deal.  I haven't had 

In the past when I have called, I was never able to get "NFL Sunday Ticket free" but they have given me enough discounts elsewhere to offset at least 50% of the cost (sometimes more).  I never even had to threaten to cancel, I would just basically tell them the truth, that I enjoy the service but times are tough and the price of programming keeps going up and that you can't afford to the NFL ticket AND the programming package.  A little-known (well, maybe not little know) secret is that all the 1st level support reps have automatic built-in promos/discounts/rebates they can offer right off the bat with little "hustling" involved.  The stuff like $10 off this for 6 months, $5 off that, etc etc.....you can get those simply for making a phone call, I know it doesn't seem like a ton, but it still adds up over the course of a year to get discounts, although I am not surprised to hear they are clamping down more since the merger with AT&T.

I was looking at my bill last month and noticed it listed Sunday Ticket as $0.00.

I called to make sure i was getting it for free and for whatever reason i am.

My buddy called and he said their best offer was 20% off and if he rejected he would be put on a list and not be offered another discount. They are playing hardball for sure this year. 

20 minutes ago, S.T.real,lights,out said:

I was looking at my bill last month and noticed it listed Sunday Ticket as $0.00.

I called to make sure i was getting it for free and for whatever reason i am.

My buddy called and he said their best offer was 20% off and if he rejected he would be put on a list and not be offered another discount. They are playing hardball for sure this year. 

Why/how are you getting it for free?

Edit:  It's listed as $0.00 on my bill too, but if you read the fine print below it says that it will start billing you the $44.99 per month (6 installments) in an upcoming bill, which they start doing so on your first bill in August.  You sure the rep you spoke with knew what they were talking about?   I've had them tell me stuff like that before in the past, free upgrade to the max version, only to be billed for it on the next bill and have to call back to argue about it.

Edit #2:  They actually told him if he rejected an offer he would never get another discount?  Pffft, I'd have immediately asked for a supervisor and reported that idiot.  I seriously doubt they are going to blackball anyone cause they don't accept a discount on a service they are paying for.  That logic makes no sense on DTV's part.

So after 30 mins i did a little better..but it took a while. I moved in April and i am 100% sure they gave me NFL ticket for free when I did. They said they didnt...

So I have them pulling the actual call to listen to it- in the meantime -they offered me 50% of the NFL max plan

Once you subscribe to NFL Ticket, I believe it will show up on your bill as a line item the entire year just to indicate you subscribe. It will be listed as $0.00 until August when they start billing for it.

Also, so many people out there pay full price for NFL ticket that eventually they will stop offering discounts and risk letting people cancel it.  The fact that it is exclusive to Direct TV is a big cause for this and always has been.  If it was open to every carrier then they would likely start lowering the price to use as leverage to draw new customers to switch and/or convince existing customers to stay.  People in mass amounts will have to simply start cancelling it before there is any movement on the price.  I still am holding out that one day they will let you pay a lower price to receives games from 1 specific team.  If I could pay $100 or so to just get all the 'Skins games, and then go with whatever the local networks choose beyond that? I'd be set.

Tell them you are loyal customer but just can not afford it and you'd like to stick with them but it would have to be thrown in... Worked for me yesterday. I got the Sunday Ticket plus GamePass for preseason, as well as an additional $35 off a month for the next 6 months from the total bill.

How did u get game pass?

4 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Tell them you are loyal customer but just can not afford it and you'd like to stick with them but it would have to be thrown in... Worked for me yesterday. I got the Sunday Ticket plus GamePass for preseason, as well as an additional $35 off a month for the next 6 months from the total bill.

Archived