Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SWFL's Summer Camp: The official Twitter thread, RVA style, slip and slide included, boogers extra, Cheerleader=counselors

SWFLSkins

6 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

We better be in rebuild mode.  How do you think teams like the Steelers have been good for so long.  They are ALWAYS in rebuild mode.

That's not what most people mean when they talk about a rebuilding team, but I get what you mean and dig the idea of it. 

7 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

We better be in rebuild mode.  How do you think teams like the Steelers have been good for so long.  They are ALWAYS in rebuild mode.

Well they mismanaged their cap pretty badly and that hurt them.  The past few years they've been pretty good because a] franchise QB and b] they've drafted WR's remarkably well in the 3rd round and later on.  Other spots, not so much, but that one they've nailed.

Just now, Darth Tater said:

No they're not. They're good and stay good.

We've sucked, dumped half our roster 2 years ago and won the division.

That's a rebuild. We are a good team and building to be better, like other good teams.

Why would we rebuild after going to the playoffs?

Steelers are good because they have franchise talent at the most important offensive positions. When we have that we will be good too. Ben was drafted in 2004 Bell in 2013 and Brown was in 2010. Our problem has been we have been stuck in QB purgatory for 20 years and only treated it with band aides and head coaching changes this whole time. It's easy to mask defensive issues with talent like that on your team and stick with terrible players like Landry jones for so long. They do have an offensive philosophy that they build around but I would argue us drafting a receiver in this years first was us rebuilding 

Taking mailbag questions; will post this weekend. Tweet away. make them non-cut related. Thanks. As always, please use #jkredskins

#NFL suspends Rob Ninkovich 4 games for substance abuse, suspends 3 other #Patriots for "Screw it. Why not? Whatcha gonna do about it?"

Redskins Twitter when they hear another team has released a player

CrX4u3eUsAAUeXa.jpg

FWIW: Redskins often cut a few players the day before final cuts, but was told earlier today nothing until Saturday. Stay tuned.

Rich Tandler Retweeted ProFootballTalk

Note that a player just having signed, like Cullen Jenkins, does not guarantee a roster spot.

Rich Tandler added,

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk
Panthers cut Stevie Brown, after a magical two days http://wp.me/p14QSB-a6H2 

taking a look at the D... Redskins face tough roster choices at defensive line, safety. read it in BRBN

Adam Caplan Retweeted Matt Kramer

Any player waived today and Saturday can be claimed Sunday at 12:00 pm ET. Practice squad Sunday at 12:00 pm.

Adam Caplan added,

Matt Kramer @MrKCincy
@caplannfl what about players tomorrow? Would seem to also be noon Sunday since teams make practice squads Sunday.

4 hours ago, 98ORAKPO98 said:

Preston Smith will win the DPOY award this season.

I used to be a beat cop a long time ago. And I'd get called out on domestic disputes all the time, hundreds probably over the years.

But there was this one guy, this one piece of ****, that I will never forget. Gordy, he looked like Bo Svenson, you remember him? Walking Tall? You don't remember? Anyway, big boy. 270, 280. But his wife, whatever she was, his lady...was real small. Like a bird. Wrists like little branches.

Anyway, my partner and I got called out there every weekend, and one of us would pull her aside and say "come on, tonight’s the night we press charges." And this wasn’t one of those deep-down he-loves-me set-ups — we get a lot of those — but not this. This girl was scared. She wasn’t going to cross him, no way, no how. Nothing we could do but pass her off to the EMT’s, put him in a car and drive him downtown, throw him in the drunk tank. He sleeps it off, next morning out he goes. Back home.

But one night, my partner’s out sick, and it’s just me. And the call comes in and it’s the usual crap. Broke her nose in the shower kind of thing. So I cuff him, put him in the car and away we go. Only that night, we’re driving into town, and this sideways asshole is in my back seat humming "Danny Boy." And it just rubbed me wrong. So instead of left, I go right, out into nowhere. And I kneel him down, and I put my revolver in his mouth, and I told him, "This is it. This is how it ends."

And he’s crying, going to the bathroom all over himself, swearing to God he’s going to leave her alone. Screaming … as much as you can with a gun in your mouth. And I told him to be quiet. Cause I needed to think about what I was going to do here. And of course he got quiet. Goes still. And real quiet. Like a dog waiting for dinner scraps. And we just stood there for a while, me acting like I’m thinking things over, and Prince Charming kneeling in the dirt with **** in his pants. And after a few minutes I took the gun out of his mouth, and I say, "So help me if you touch her again I will such-and-such and such-and-such and blah blah blah blah blah".

Just trying to do the right thing. But two weeks later he killed her. Of course. Caved her head in with the base of a Waring blender. We got there, there was so much blood you could taste the metal. The moral of the story is: I chose a half measure, when I should have gone all the way. I’ll never make that mistake again. No more half measures, 98ORAKPO98

^^so at some point you were told this story right? And that's just how you've been ever since 

3 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I used to be a beat cop a long time ago. And I'd get called out on domestic disputes all the time, hundreds probably over the years.

But there was this one guy, this one piece of ****, that I will never forget. Gordy, he looked like Bo Svenson, you remember him? Walking Tall? You don't remember? Anyway, big boy. 270, 280. But his wife, whatever she was, his lady...was real small. Like a bird. Wrists like little branches.

Anyway, my partner and I got called out there every weekend, and one of us would pull her aside and say "come on, tonight’s the night we press charges." And this wasn’t one of those deep-down he-loves-me set-ups — we get a lot of those — but not this. This girl was scared. She wasn’t going to cross him, no way, no how. Nothing we could do but pass her off to the EMT’s, put him in a car and drive him downtown, throw him in the drunk tank. He sleeps it off, next morning out he goes. Back home.

But one night, my partner’s out sick, and it’s just me. And the call comes in and it’s the usual crap. Broke her nose in the shower kind of thing. So I cuff him, put him in the car and away we go. Only that night, we’re driving into town, and this sideways asshole is in my back seat humming "Danny Boy." And it just rubbed me wrong. So instead of left, I go right, out into nowhere. And I kneel him down, and I put my revolver in his mouth, and I told him, "This is it. This is how it ends."

And he’s crying, going to the bathroom all over himself, swearing to God he’s going to leave her alone. Screaming … as much as you can with a gun in your mouth. And I told him to be quiet. Cause I needed to think about what I was going to do here. And of course he got quiet. Goes still. And real quiet. Like a dog waiting for dinner scraps. And we just stood there for a while, me acting like I’m thinking things over, and Prince Charming kneeling in the dirt with **** in his pants. And after a few minutes I took the gun out of his mouth, and I say, "So help me if you touch her again I will such-and-such and such-and-such and blah blah blah blah blah".

Just trying to do the right thing. But two weeks later he killed her. Of course. Caved her head in with the base of a Waring blender. We got there, there was so much blood you could taste the metal. The moral of the story is: I chose a half measure, when I should have gone all the way. I’ll never make that mistake again. No more half measures, 98ORAKPO98

^^so at some point you were told this story right? And that's just how you've been ever since 

Wow that's a crazy story man. Did you quit being a cop because it was just too stressful for you?

This article posted by Hap in BRBN was simply excellent, so I thought I'd shine a little light on it here. Some of my favorite parts: 

The plays that he would approach differently in the Redskins‘ loss to the Green Bay Packers in the wild-card round of the playoffs are still fresh in his mind. One that perturbed him most occurred in the second quarter after running back Chris Thompson broke loose for a 25-yard gain with Washington holding an 11-7 lead.

The next play McVay called for a pass in an empty formation and left Kirk Cousins with no protection in the backfield. Outside linebacker Mike Neal blew past right tackle Morgan Moses and forced Cousins to fumble. The Packers scored 10 points before halftime after the Redskins lost a precious opportunity to expand their lead.

“I had seen Morgan was a little banged up,” McVay recalled. “[The] formation obviously triggers you’re throwing the football so guys are really teeing off on us. I felt like just getting a feel and flow for the game, that was something I wish I would’ve done differently regardless of what the outcome was.

“Knowing what I was able to process after we picked up the first down, knowing a lineman was banged up, giving them an empty set, a known passing situation to the defense, isn’t the best thing I could’ve done to help our players have success.”

Redskins players have come to respect that kind of accountability in a coach who’s still younger than some of his players.

..........…………

Veteran tight end Logan Paulsen signed with the Redskins as an undrafted free agent the same year McVay was hired by Mike Shanahan in 2010 as a quality control coach.

Paulsen worked particularly closely with McVay when he was promoted to coach the tight ends toward the end of that first season, a position he held until he was promoted to offensive coordinator in 2014.

Sean has always been a guy that was super impressive since the beginning, just his understanding and mastery of the offensive system,” Paulsen said.

“Always took a lot of responsibility for his craft and his job so if you screwed something up as a tight end, he took it on him as not coaching you correctly. It’s always nice to play for a guy who’s willing to put it out there for you as a player.”

The first team meetings of an NFL season are often the most telling about what is going to follow. They can set the tone for what players are about to buy into from a coach or coordinator. So when the Redskins reported for the start of organized team activities in the spring and McVay led the first offensive meeting, Paulsen’s focus sharpened when he heard the offensive coordinator cite the principles of famed UCLA basketball coach John Wooden’s Pyramid of Success.

“First time you’re up there you’re maybe a little nervous,” said Paulsen, who attended UCLA and is well familiar with Wooden’s esteemed principles. “He was very clear with his message this time, very organized. You could tell he had read up on some stuff. You could hear a pin drop in the room and that’s really underrated. When guys are willing to listen, that’s how you command a room.”

There is no doubt this season that McVayhas the attention of the Redskins.

A lot more to read, so please be sure to click on the link. Good stuff. 

Interesting item from Tandler's blog posted in BRBN.

—I’m more bullish on Matt Jones’ chances of becoming a solid running back than most. I get the knocks on him, with his NFL-low average of 3.4 yards per carry. But that stat requires some context. Alfred Morris, who ran behind the same line last year, had an average of 3.7 yards per carry. That is by far the worst of his career. His worst before that was 4.1 per carry in 2014. It’s probably not a coincidence that both backs struggled behind that offensive line (and the tight ends might as well be thrown under the same bus here). If the line gets its act together in run blocking Jones can produce. If they don’t Adrian Peterson couldn’t produce behind them.

16 minutes ago, HapHaszard said:

Interesting item from Tandler's blog posted in BRBN.

If they don’t Adrian Peterson couldn’t produce behind them.

I'm not saying the line run blocked well, because they didn't, but we all watched this group of backs miss opportunities to cut inside all season long. I'd guess Morris had a slightly better average, because he puts his pads low and falls forward, unlike Jones.

Archived