Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hypothetical- Internment Camps/Militarized Police- How far does it go, until you stand against it?

Koolblue13

Well right now,as long as President Obama is in office,you're targeted. According to the conspiracy theorists,(Sovereign citizens love this one),he's going disarm the populace,declare martial law,and put all those law abiding,good christian folks into Fema camps,(they're already prepared in places like old WalMarts and such). Then he'll bring in the rest of his Muslim friends,(many already being trained at secret camps in the U.S.),and take over the country. No really. :) (I've got a few folks I keep around on social media who believe this stuff to one degree or another. Good for a laugh).

Oh and Xameil. Ease off. You're teetering on the edge of a rules violation or 2 here.

Sorry...yes Sir ;)

the question is way too open ended.

i'm against violating due process for any citizen, so apply that however you're thinking.

i also don't know what 'stand up against' means. throw rocks? protest? i'll vote against it when given the chance.

i'm not a fan of violence against the government for a few reasons. i'm more likely to just pack up and leave if it gets to that point.

As a non-Latino non-Muslim brown man, I would seriously consider turning every thing I own to cash and leaving the country with it all until the political tides change. Even though I'm American, such a policy would immediately make me a target of hate crimes and I'd do whatever it took to protect myself. I have many Sikh friends who deal with enough nonsense from 'expert' morons who are too stupid to know its a different religion from Islam, and too confident in their stupidity to let anyone explain that to them.

I really have no problems with most Republicans, and honestly most of my background fits their "values" perfectly: Raised in a two-parent household, educated, have a job, never been on gov't assistance programs in my life, etc.  But as long as they choose to cater to a certain ever-shrinking segment of the populace I have no place for them at the ballot box.

The fact that overheated conversations like this even happen is a sad gauge of just how far down the rabbithole some people have their permanent mailing address.

America is not a presidential campaign, it is not the military, America is the populace that gives life to it and its ideals, and dammit, while I am regularly disappointed or even embarrassed by a lot that happens I still have faith that this would never happen here. Instead of eyeing plans to become an ex-pat the whole country might be better served by people accepting responsibility for all we have, so much taken for granted that is denied most people on the planet, and get involved to move the needle in a positive direction.

Americans have more tools, more legal means and resources to stand up against ANY sort of craziness, and I don't mean ARs and stocks of ammo. Use them to your advantage.

the question is way too open ended.

i'm against violating due process for any citizen, so apply that however you're thinking.

i also don't know what 'stand up against' means. throw rocks? protest? i'll vote against it when given the chance.

i'm not a fan of violence against the government for a few reasons. i'm more likely to just pack up and leave if it gets to that point.

I thought about doing a poll, but there's only 40 options.

So, other than vote, if the government tried to put people in camps or used the military as an army against it's own people, you'd vote and leave?

I've resigned myself to my harsh reality as a Puerto Rican Italian guy, and look forward to being fitted for my Fema coffin.

Hopefully they give me one with a small opening somewhere so my soul can reach the afterlife.

You have a soul?

Well, we already have militarized police...

Change will come in the guise of safety. If you don't like it then you're unamerican.

How to fight it? Stop idolizing the military as something to look up to. Realize that military action both domestically and abroad should be the very last resort, not the first.

The military is just another political tool. 

I always love when people praise the military, but really ask anyone who has served and they complain about how dysfunctional and inefficient it is. 

Dont' get me wrong, thankful for their service, but we mythologize it as needed. 

I thought about doing a poll, but there's only 40 options.

So, other than vote, if the government tried to put people in camps or used the military as an army against it's own people, you'd vote and leave?

If they're citizens, yes, absolutely. The moment the government stops abiding by its constitution in such a way is the moment this is no longer what it's supposed to be.

I care too much about my family and value living too much to take up arms against our government. Coupled with the fact that I think we have the government we deserve (based on how we educate ourselves and vote), yeah I'll vote so long as there's an option and leave when it gets too bad.

You know, the scary part is, things like the NDAA already set the stage for this. Just in a less public way.

When the government stops allowing for due process for its citizens there's a problem.

If they're citizens, yes, absolutely. The moment the government stops abiding by its constitution in such a way is the moment this is no longer what it's supposed to be.

The problem is that we've already crossed that line.  After 9/11 we suspended due process for many people with the rationalization that "the bill of rights only applies to citizens." (Well ok, are those rights really God-given then, as some claim?)

Then when we caught an American citizen who joined Al Queda, we expanded that, saying that, "Anyone who joins Al Queda clearly renounced his citizenship by default," even though that's not a thing. You have to inform the American Consulate to stop being American.

This isn't a partisan issue.  We've played pretty loose with due process for citizens during the Bush and Obama presidencies.  If violating the rights of citizens is your line, then we're already there.

The problem is that we've already crossed that line.  After 9/11 we suspended due process for many people with the rationalization that "the bill of rights only applies to citizens." (Well ok, are those rights really God-given then, as some claim?)

Then when we caught an American citizen who joined Al Queda, we expanded that, saying that, "Anyone who joins Al Queda clearly renounced his citizenship by default," even though that's not a thing. You have to inform the American Consulate to stop being American.

This isn't a partisan issue.  We've played pretty loose with due process for citizens during the Bush and Obama presidencies.  If violating the rights of citizens is your line, then we're already there.

I know. I'm aware of those issues.

Like I said, we're closer to this than people thing, but we're not quite there. At least, as far as we know. Who knows how many citizens have been rounded up under the NDAA that we don't know about; the nature of the legislation makes it damn near impossible for us to hear about it.

Look at Gitmo - not citizens, but definitely a bunch of people rounded up and kept locked up for a long period of time. Majority of them without charges.

So we've come full circle on FEMA camps. The right was convinced Obama would do it, and now the left is certain Trump will.

If this stuff gets any crazier I might have to move to Chile for a while. I could teach English and learn to fear earthquakes while my cousins drives my wife crazy.

You said you and your family...I just assumed that someone as self centered as you only considers yourself as family

I'm sorry that you have nobody you care about or cares about you. Maybe one day you won't be as lonely and you'll understand where I'm coming from. Meanwhile I've got my priorities straight and don't let myself be bothered by ignorant comments by internet trolls.

If the US Government went to the Dark Side, there would be nowhere to run to, nowhere to hide. There would be nothing to stop Russia from doing what they want to do in Europe, and nothing to stop China from doing what they want to do in Asia.

Going to be careful what I say in this thread, and honestly so should others. It's a full on justification for the second amendment, and I don't want to see this thread turn into something that would attract the wrong kind of attention.

To be clear, I absolutely have a line, and history helps justify it.

So we've come full circle on FEMA camps. The right was convinced Obama would do it, and now the left is certain Trump will.

“This is a president highly respected by all; he did the same thing,” Mr. Trump said. The nation was at war in the 1940s, he said, and it is now “at war with radical Islam.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/09/us/politics/donald-trump-muslims.html

Why is it crazy to be concerned that Trump might do something he actually seems to speak positively of?

I'm sorry that you have nobody you care about or cares about you. Maybe one day you won't be as lonely and you'll understand where I'm coming from. Meanwhile I've got my priorities straight and don't let myself be bothered by ignorant comments by internet trolls.

Well seeing as tho I got warned for insults that are the same as you just spewed at me....I'd be careful what you write.

If the US Government went to the Dark Side, there would be nowhere to run to, nowhere to hide. There would be nothing to stop Russia from doing what they want to do in Europe, and nothing to stop China from doing what they want to do in Asia.

Going to be careful what I say in this thread, and honestly so should others. It's a full on justification for the second amendment, and I don't want to see this thread turn into something that would attract the wrong kind of attention.

To be clear, I absolutely have a line, and history helps justify it.

The bold part is 100% true.

The rest sounds like tin foil hat stuff.  But I also absolutely agree with it.

Archived