Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Qandeel Baloch murder by brother

Springfield

https://www.google.com/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/people/qandeel-baloch-death-brother-admits-murder-twitter-instagram-celebrity-pakistan-a7141761.html%3famp?client=safari#

The brother of social media celebrity Qandeel Baloch has admitted to drugging and strangling her in the name of “honour”.

Qandeel was killed on Friday night at her family’s home near Multan, a large city in the Punjab province.

Her younger brother, Waseem Baloch, 25, went on the run and was arrested late Saturday.

The brother of social media celebrity Qandeel Baloch has admitted to drugging and strangling her in the name of “honour”.

Qandeel was killed on Friday night at her family’s home near Multan, a large city in the Punjab province.

Her younger brother, Waseem Baloch, 25, went on the run and was arrested late Saturday.

Speaking at a police press conference early on Sunday, The Express Tribune, a Pakistani English news publication, quoted Waseem as saying: “Girls are born only to stay at home and to bring honour to the family by following family traditions but Qandeel had never done that”.

“I am a drug addict but I was in my senses when I murdered her and I accept it with pride,” Wasseem added. “Now everybody will remember me with honour that I have provided relief to my parents and brothers who were suffering for the last two decades because of her.”

I find this story provocatively interesting. As I understand, Qandeel amounted to the equivalent of Kim Kardashian in her culture. She was the primary breadwinner in her family.

She was murdered for being exactly that. What is more concerning is that there is apparently a large number of people who support the actions of her brother, that he is a man of honor. Essentially, he did this because it is the culturally sanctimonious thing to do. Tag that to the views held by (likely) the exact same people in that region that are anti-western. Very worrisome.

Unfortunately I was watching something like this on ID yesterday that left me pissed for a couple hours.

Some girl and her sister were murdered by their Egyptian father for actually having the nerve to have a boyfriend and not obey her fathers demands to stay away and be married off to some old ass man in Egypt.

And the mother was complicit. Initially took the kids away when the father found out about the girls relationship with a boy at her school and told them to "enjoy their last meal" before he was to kill them later, then brought them back under the "promise" that they would both be forgiven.

They were both shot dead (the girl was gonna run off with her boyfriend in 6 months which would have been their graduation) and apparently the dude is on the FBI's most wanted list.

What. The. **** is wrong with people.

Was just watching a movie on Netflix with the GF (one of the actors used to stay in her house back in Ethiopia growing up) about the culture out in the rural areas of abducting your bride. So they kidnap this 14 year old girl and she ends up stealing a rifle from them and killing the man who was to marry her (the actor GF knows). Rest of the movie is about the legal procedures surrounding it, where everyone is trying to have her executed. Thankfully it has a "happy" ending and she's just exiled from her village and gets to live in a group home. (And these are Orthodox Christians ftr). Old ways are just hard to die I guess

I just don't understand how these people can murder their own flesh and blood like that. Frankly I don't want to.

It's the culture.

It's hard to grasp that in the 21st century; there are plenty of places in the world that stuck culturally 100 years, 200 years, 500 years or greater in the past.   Just look at the things that happen in the more remote villages of countries like Pakistan, India, etc....

Even in the U.S., you will find people holding on traditions that modern society find abhorrent and primitive.

I just don't understand how these people can murder their own flesh and blood like that. Frankly I don't want to.

These people are our enemies, or so I would assume. I think it's important to have an understanding of that which we are at war with.

Like someone else said, it all boils down to culture.  There will always be rebels, but even they are largely defined by a culture if they are left to soak in it for long enough and from an early age.  This is not to say that it isn't a horrifying evil thing, it is just a means of explaining how such a thing can be and why it can garner support. 

We should really stop referring to this stuff as honor killing.  Seems too respectful. 

Read an article about two weeks ago involving Honour killings in Pakistan.

The rough thing is the people and politicians that have tried to stand up to this and getting killed as well. I can see in a generation or two this starting to slow down (this social media generation seems less tolerant of this custom), but this is very much alive an well in 2016.

I already have an interesting perspective on family from life and other's experiences. To say this compounds it is an understatement.

Yesterday, I made O (my son)  cry. He complained this morning that we treated him like a slave. So I showed him what modern day slavery looks like, first with two international stories and then one U.S. story (all stories pg). When I said he could have biological family that came as slaves, the tears flowed (probably not true to the best of our knowledge). How else should we teach our kids perspective from high stop our ivory towers they know as "home?"

Like someone else said, it all boils down to culture.  There will always be rebels, but even they are largely defined by a culture if they are left to soak in it for long enough and from an early age.  This is not to say that it isn't a horrifying evil thing, it is just a means of explaining how such a thing can be and why it can garner support. 

We should really stop referring to this stuff as honor killing.  Seems too respectful. 

Agree.

The concept is so abhorrent I practically throw up anytime I read these stories. 

The documentary "A girl in the river: The price of forgiveness" by Sharmeen Obaind-Chinoy made it impossible for both my wife and I to sleep for a few nights after.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/26/entertainment/oscars-pakistan/

I can't emphasize just how backwards many parts of rural Pakistan are. The level of ignorance is unfathomable coming from the world all of us on a message board grow up in.

I'm usually fairly tolerant of other cultures where it deviates from my own perspective, but in this instance, all I can think of is, "**** your culture".

It's really disgusting these people can justify to themselves or others that killing your family member in cold blood was the right thing to do. These cold-blooded assholes are stuck in the middle ages socially, and it needs to change.

I can't emphasize just how backwards many parts of rural Pakistan are. The level of ignorance is unfathomable coming from the world all of us on a message board grow up in.

It's also impossible to overemphasize how much malignant influence the Wahhabist clerics have had there in the past 50 years.   More than anywhere else in the world, I think, more than even Saudi Arabia itself.

The worst thing to happen to post-WW2 civilization may be salafist clerics exiled from Egypt being given free reign and finances to establish and subsequently export the Saudi educational system. Combined with the abject failure of Nasserism, which left poverty and an ideological vacuum in its wake, the Arab world was ripe for seduction by religious fanaticism.

In Pakistan, the military's over reliance on Saudi dollars and Pashto support produced an even more toxic combination, as Predicto noted. Pakistan was initially better placed to succeed than India. Perhaps if Waziristan had remained a part of Afghanistan, and if the military hadn't staged a coup, stories like this one would not be so commonplace.

Archived