Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mirror: Turkey 'coup': Live updates as explosion and gunfire reported in capitol Ankara

No Excuses

Nice. A NATO member succumbing to extremism too

I don't know. Erdogan is an extremist himself and has stripped the Turks of some basic liberties like freedom of press. 

I had no idea that there was even a rift between the military and the executive leadership so the militaries angle is unclear. 

Lots of images on twitter of tanks in the streets and videos of jets flying overhead.

Erdogan, the current head of state, is an Islamist politician who has been steering the country into dictatorship. If there is a coup I imagine it is by military leaders worried about extremism. Most coups occur in Turkey whenever the military fears the government is abandoning its secularist principles.

This might be a good thing for us if the military reconciles with the Kurds and goes full throttle after ISIL and maybe even Assad. Erdogan has managed to make enemies out of all sides in the neighboring conflicts. I hate that s.o.b.

My only fear would be if this turns out to be a reaction to the recent rapprochement with Israel...then that would mean extremists in the military.

Prime Minister threatens those involved 'will pay the highest price'

Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said those responsible for what he described as an attempted coup by a faction within the military would pay the highest price.

He says they would not be allowed to do anything to interrupt democracy.

“Some people illegally undertook an illegal action outside of the chain of command,” Yildirim said in comments broadcast by private channel NTV.

“The government elected by the people remains in charge. This government will only go when the people say so.”

How popular is Erdogan?

The religious nutters and ultra-conservative/nationalist Turks love him. He's Mike Huckabee and Trump rolled into one. Very religious and very nationalistic/anti-Kurd. He is very unpopular with more secular Turks, but they basically have no voice in Turkey at the moment.

I don't know. Erdogan is an extremist himself and has stripped the Turks of some basic liberties like freedom of press. 

I had no idea that there was even a rift between the military and the executive leadership so the militaries angle is unclear. 

Lots of images on twitter of tanks in the streets and videos of jets flying overhead.

Isn't the military pretty secular in Turkey?

Even given the issues with Erdogan, I don't think a military coup is helpful.

BREAKING NEWS: THE TURKISH STATE TV IS NOW SHUT DOWN.

— Breaking News Feed (@pzf) July 15, 2016

Internet 'blocked' in Turkey

Reports are coming in that the Internet has been closed down in Turkey as a military coup gets underway.

Journalists are urging Turkish people to use alternative means to get out information from the country.

To those in #Turkey please download TOR or use a VPN. Seeing videos of users having their social media go down.

— Tim Pool (@Timcast) July 15, 2016

@06JAnk: Mayor of Ankara calls for “everyone to the streets”: not necessarily good advice. https://t.co/BAYBh6s2Tf” Why?

— Carles Flores (@FloresCarles) July 15, 2016

The mayor of Ankara has reportedly called people out into the streets in defiance of a curfew, suggesting trouble could erupt imminently.

Reports have come in that the Turkish chief of staff has been taken ‘hostage’.

The State news channel reports Hulusi Akar has been taken hostage by the army.

The military has issued a statement saying it has taken over. They say all existing foreign relations will continue.

“The rule of law must remain a priority,” they added.

Isn't the military pretty secular in Turkey?

Even given the issues with Erdogan, I don't think a military coup is helpful.

Yeah they have a history of favoring secular rule and Erdogan finally pissed them off enough I guess. He's been using ISIS as a backdrop to really crackdown on Kurds

Pictures of thick black smoke from buildings in Ankara on Twitter now.

How does this play out with Turkey being a member of NATO? Can their government call upon NATO to protect them if they are in fact taken over by a coup?

I figure nato will mostly sit back and let them figure it out themselves. Especially if there is speculation that the new military government would be more aggressive with battling Isis and cooperating with the US to do so.

Archived