Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mirror: Turkey 'coup': Live updates as explosion and gunfire reported in capitol Ankara

No Excuses

If we had some involvement in this, things could get very dangerous.

Well, you know that someone will accuse us of being involved. Someone always does. (Unfortunately, I have the impression that they're usually right.)

I should add that coups are generally a disaster and despite what one thinks of the current regime, this course of action is going to have terrible consequences for the region

I have a very uneasy feeling that ISIS is going to find a common ground with the nutters who are/were defenders of Erdogan.

Turkey had this weird thing going on where the religious extremists and ultra nationalists were aligned together behind Erdogan. They are now going to be pissed about a secular force taking over. The nationalism will go flying out the window at any point.

I don't know much about this, so I'm going on what the notoriously unreliable news media is reporting.

Apparently the Turkish government has been controlling the press, imprisoning journalists, shutting down communications, etc. The military is saying this coup attempt is about restoring democracy. Also they feel like their government is seriously threatening national security due to failures with Russia and ISIS. Sounds like they have a point.

On the other hand the government is supposedly democratically elected, so it seems odd to say this is about democracy. Martial law isn't a good look.

I'm wondering if the coup has been bloodless, haven't heard. I certainly hope it doesn't turn violent.

I disagree. The military coup in Egypt was a great thing.

Democracy cannot be entrusted to the ignorant extremist populations that are the majority throughout the Muslim world. They will immediately install a fundamentalist tyrannical religious regime

Their best hope as a region is secular dictatorships or monarchies.

Could this be the country that steps up to be our next war? New potus, new people to bomb, right?

No.

The military will probably install a pro Western secular regime. The problem is that when they have elections, the rural-right wing people vote heavily for religious extremists and hardliners. These people constantly live in fear that Turkey is turning away from Islam and come out voting in heavy numbers.

Istanbul, Ankara are secular cities but the people forget to vote and don't enthusiastically participate in the democratic system.

The military follows the principles of Ataturk who wanted a secular, pro-science government purged of religious influence.

Sounds familiar doesn't it?

Democracy cannot be entrusted to the ignorant extremist populations that are the majority throughout the Muslim world. They will immediately install a fundamentalist tyrannical religious regime

Again, don't really know much about the region, but my impression was that Egypt is an unfriendly place for Americans. That the military coup there didn't do anything to help us there (in regards to anti-extremism).

I never thought that a government overthrown by the military industrial complex would be anything other than trouble for the region and the world.

It's very possible that my perceptions are completely wrong.

No.

The military will probably install a pro Western secular regime. The problem is that when they have elections, the rural-right wing people vote heavily for religious extremists and hardliners. Istanbul, Ankara are secular cities but the people forget to vote and don't enthusiastically participate in the democratic system.

The military follows the principles of Ataturk who wanted a secular, pro-science government purged of religious influence.

Sounds familiar doesn't it?

Yes, sounds very familiar. What we saw in all of the Arab Spring countries, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc

Middle East is a better place with secular dictators.

Nah not so much. False stability like most of these dictatorships bring just builds up resentment and creates tons of rivalries and issues that occasionally are distracted from by foreign wars or blaming other countries and cause utter chaos when they eventually fall apart.

Also Egypt has gotten much worse under Sisi.

Moëz BHAR @moezbhar

#BREAKING: Heavy gunfire at Turkish Presidential Palace

5:47 PM - 15 Jul 2016

The 'Nimr' Tiger @Souria4Syrians

Turkish Army shot pro-Erdogan fanatic who ran at army positions screaming "Allahu Akbar"

5:34 PM - 15 Jul 2016

Kyle Griffin @kylegriffin1

Senior US military source tells NBC News that Erdogan, refused landing rights in Istanbul, is reported to be seeking asylum in Germany.

5:26 PM - 15 Jul 2016

Claims from Turkish sources on air that head of Turkish military has been killed and that the heads of the Turkish Air Force and Land Forces are behind the coup.

Archived