Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Discussions of a less heavily criticized OL

CommDownMan

I thought the consensus was that Lichtensteiger was pretty poor as a zone blocking guard for us... asking him to play guard in a man blocking scheme seems like a bad idea.

Of course it could be the inverse for LeRibeus - he didn't play well at guard in our zone scheme, but maybe he'd be better with the scheme change.

you know, I kind of wish we'd switch Scherff to LG and put the competition at RG. Scherff played LT in college and all the guys competing at LG played on the right side before coming here

Scherff and Moses spent an entire season building chemistry on that side and growing together, I don't think you want to throw that away for an unknown.

I wonder whether any thought has been given to trying Ty Nsekhe at LG.  He's been really good for us when he's filled in for Trent, notably denying Greg Hardy a lot of money in that week 17 game last season.  It's usually a lot easier for a tackle to make the transition to guard than it is the other way around, as Scherff proved for us, and studs like Kelechi Osemele have proven around the NFL. 

I've been really impressed with Nsekhe every time I've seen him play, and if he can improve our starting line-up, I wouldn't hesitate to put him in at guard, even if it leaves a hole for us at back-up/swing tackle.  The only negative to the move would be that he's already 30 years old and I would prefer to have a young line that can grow together.  Still, I would at least try him out there for a few weeks to see what I have and give myself more options for this OL line-up.

Just had an amazing thought. If Reiter can make it or if Kwandijo claim guard or either Long or Reiter can claim center... then the Redskins o line will be all home grown and drafted. How long has it been since we could say that?

Interesting that Rib (on the stat sheet) improved to close out the year.  He passed my eye test as a C in the RH Grade book, where a C MUST keep Kirk's jersey clean as priority 1. Our passing offense last year was awesome and it starts with a pocket. We all saw it, and we won games with no run game at all. 

I stick to my guns, and questions coaches own conventional wisdom in preaching continuity on the OL is a high priority, and facepalm yanking Rib for our playoff game.

As noted previously, we saw Kory and Kirk calling out protections at the same time vs GB. Our pass pro was horrible that game. I cannot say Rib in at C would have changed that, and yes he got roughed up in a few snaps at LG, but he would have kept his yap shut at least, and Kirk would have confidence in the pocket. 

Again, its coaches that do not change OL like DL, game in and game out, league wide, year after year. We needed our passing game to beat GB, and risked it to fix the run game. But the run game was ice cold for 3 months, and Kory was not going to change that. Lauvao was the cog there and it was easy to see our run game vanish the moment he got hurt.  Kory was rusty, and it showed, even evidenced by 2 rare poor snaps.

We need an open comp at LG and C. Cally has done good work (salvaging Lauvao, Rib, Long) and that may be key to our have the guys competing again with Cally pulling the strings. 

Just going to take a shot at the starting OL.  If anything I can always look back and laugh in week 1.

T. Williams     Long           Litch     Sherriff     Moses

Nsekhe          Kouandjio   Ribs     Ribs          Coefield

This is contingent on Lauvao not being on the team as I have previously surmised.  I also watched a few highlights of the run blocking last year and it is very obvious that Lauvao and Litch were the cogs in the run game.  Litch had a great block on the long Matt Jones run against the Rams that is the reason he scored.  

Also looked at what they did last year with the depth chart.  They kept a back-up at each position so this affords us a little wiggle room with a roster spot as well.   

From a Hog's Haven article on Long:

Long has the size, mentality, physicality and intelligence to excel at center for our Redskins. He's better in tight spaces than he is on an island, and his base is very strong, making him an excellent fit at center. His massive hands can easily grip the ball in wet and dry conditions, and his experience in both college and the pros in making line calls(something he did a lot at Nebraska) should help make for an easy transition to the position.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2016/5/20/11719390/built-fed-ex-tough-spencer-long

My 'way too early' projection:

Williams  -  Kouandijo  -  Long  -  Scherff  -  Moses

Nseke      Lauvao(PUP)  Reiter     Ribs       Cofield

- If Reiter shows well then I don't think that Licht makes the squad

- I expect Lauvao to start year on PUP but be activated by mid year

- Gives us a much bigger starting OL

- Most of the OL is young and will continue to get stronger under Callahan's coaching

Williams - Kouandijo - Long - Scherff - Moses

Nseke Lauvao(PUP) Reiter Ribs Cofield

- Most of the OL is young and will continue to get stronger under Callahan's coaching

this is about what I'm thinking too.

Who doesn't want Long at C after reading that great excerpt! The power of the press....

I thought Long got an early look at C last year.... if he is a natural fit there, why did they instead turn towards Rib? Maybe because Long was a better guard, and basically both were a push at C.  

I think all fans can agree that it's nice to finally have a OLC that can graduate draft picks/projects into starters.  My lord were we bad in that dept under previous regimes. 

I dont care about that. I want efficient, strong and dominant

Well yeah. We all do. You want it to last though, right? So less expensive youth will help that, right? Getting the bigger guys on the line in place of Lichtensteiger gives us a chance at more power (due to more size), and getting these young guys coached up and playing together regularly will help the consistency, cohesion and efficiency. All ties together IMO.

How important is continuity from one year to next on the Oline??

Let's say Skins elect to go with same starters to start last season, what kind of impact would this have versus an Oline with a "new" LG and C ??

Who doesn't want Long at C after reading that great excerpt! The power of the press....

I thought Long got an early look at C last year.... if he is a natural fit there, why did they instead turn towards Rib? Maybe because Long was a better guard, and basically both were a push at C.  

I think all fans can agree that it's nice to finally have a OLC that can graduate draft picks/projects into starters.  My lord were we bad in that dept under previous regimes. 

LeRib had been getting practice snaps at center for  while while Long hadn't

Williams - Kouandijo - Long - Scherff - Moses

Nseke Lauvao(PUP) Reiter Ribs Cofield

I think this is close to everyone's hope. I'd love it if things turn out like this. My guess is that they won't, that the young guys are not there yet. But here's to hoping. :)

Reading this thread you can tell everyone is HYPED about the possibilities of our offensive front.  We all haven't felt this collectively optimistic in a long ****ing time!

Arie K in preseason last year exploded on tape for me.  He was driving guys from hash-marks to sidelines w/ Kerrigan-level motor but seemingly more athletic upside.  (I'm with Murph above me, this kid is our LG this year- book it.)

I think McRibs at center gave us a better chance against GB than Licht and I'd like to see him continue to grow as our starter.  Callahan may be the best positional coach in our franchise history-- we have some good things brewing right now.

Archived