Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Broncos, Texans among most vulnerable division winners

I disagree with some of these rankings. TBH, I think the Redskins are one of the more vulnerable teams and certainly shouldn't be considered the safest bet to repeat.

1.) We went worst to first last season, that should always raise a red flag about sustainability. We aren't some perennial juggernaut with a history of consistent 10+ win seasons. We're an upstart that won our division with 9 wins and without ever beating a winning team.

2.) The Cowboys are clearly a more talented team on paper, their previous season was sabotaged by injuries. The ultimate effect is that they just added a ton of high end talent in the draft to what was a 12 win team the previous year.

There is a very real chance that we could be better and play better than we did last season and still not win 9 games again. Or that 9 games isn't enough to win the division.

Immediately before that 12-4 season, they had three seasons of 8-8 and one season of 6-10. They've had one winning season sandwiched by three .500 seasons and two losing seasons.That doesn't exactly scream "sustainable success," either.

As we've learned, "on-paper" is totally meaningless, especially when you have a China Doll for a QB upon whom everything seems to pivot and their Defense still has as many holes as anyone else.

Nick

The ironic part in all this is Gil Brandt is a ginormous Brokeback homer. Maybe he's trying to put the evil eye on the 'Skins or something.

Nick

Either that or his homerism can't get over the fact that the Cowboys have a QB that is one hit away from going down, a D that was not upgraded and totally sucked last year and last year's record that showed where they are exactly without the said QB.

Us on the other hand will depend on being able to stop the run on D and Cousins playing as well (not better mind you) as he did the last 10 games of last year.  If he does he has additional weapons to really make it interesting.

Here is how I'd rank the division winners from most likely to repeat to least likely...

Tier 1-No real legit competition:

New England-I mean come on, doesn't even need to be said.

Carolina-New Orleans and Tampa are still rebuilding. Atlanta gives them trouble but still not good enough to overtake them.

Tier 2-Only one legit opponent:

Washington-Philly is rebuilding, not sold on New York at all. It'll be Dallas-Washington again just like it should always be.

Minnesota-Detroit needs a lot of work and Chicago is getting better but not there yet. GB will give them a fight.

Arizona-They'll drop off some and I think Seattle will return to the Seattle of old.

Tier 3-Two or more legit opponents and team itself isn't that good:

Cincinatti-Lost too much and Pittsburgh is better when healthy. Baltimore will also bounce back.

Houston-Indy will have Luck back, Jacksonville is my sleeper team, and Tennessee is young and improving.

Denver-No QB and that division is brutal with KC and Oakland both looking really good.

Dallas should have a really good offense, but is it going to be better then ours? Their OL is probably better. Run game might be with Elliott. I think we're better at the skill positions now. Reed > Witten at this stage. Bryant individually is better then any of our WRs but I think 1-4 we're deeper. romoSUCKS and Cousins is a wash at this point but romoSUCKS is just so injury prone.

Defense is the big thing. I think Dallas might be more solid on D but they have no playmaking or pass rush ability at all. On the flip side we're probably going to be a very boom or bust D: lots of sacks/turnovers but will give up yards/points on occasion.

Should be a fun season. I think it's gonna be like the old days where the Skins and Boys fight it out. I see a season split this year but for once the home teams winning(we haven't beaten the Cowboys at home since 2012 but ironically have won in Dallas 3 of the last 4 years).

I think our record will be better for a multitude of reasons, but the big 3 are.

1. We have 2 new pro bowlers on defense. ..Norman and Galette

2. Cousins is in his second year as undisputed starter. He will be better.

3. McVay is in his second year. This has been underrated.... He will trust Kirk more and vice versa. Look at our 2nd half last year. There was substantial growth!

For the first time in a long time, we are following a playoff season with progress instead of questions. Enjoy it everyone!

HTTR!!

Nice post Robbob.

It's pretty cool to see the development in this team, coaches and players alike. In my mind, Cousins, Gruden and McVay all showed a tremendous growth last year, and I believe it will continue, albeit maybe with a bit less suddenness.

I believe there's a pretty good chance we see some growth for Coach Barry and his D as well. The additional talent, experience and versatility should (obviously) positively impact/improve both the starting group and the "starters-in-waiting". Of course, this should also give Barry some more (and new) opportunities for success in scheming and play calling.

Immediately before that 12-4 season, they had three seasons of 8-8 and one season of 6-10. They've had one winning season sandwiched by three .500 seasons and two losing seasons.That doesn't exactly scream "sustainable success," either.

As we've learned, "on-paper" is totally meaningless, especially when you have a China Doll for a QB upon whom everything seems to pivot and their Defense still has as many holes as anyone else.

Nick

They were 8-8 those 3 years, losing the final game each year that would have given them the division and the playoffs with a 9-7 record. The same record we so proudly hang our hat on for last season and one of the best records we've had in 25 years. So let's not act like they weren't right there in the thick of the division title run for the past several years aside from last year when romoSUCKS and Dez were hurt

A huge part of the 12-4 team was Murray and their strong running game behind a dominant OL and now they have that again. romoSUCKS has proven he can run a profific passing attack for about a decade now. It's entirely possible he can't stay healthy but it's also possible that the return of a dominant running game with help him stay healthy.

Even with absolute trash at QB last season they had the 9th rates running game based on DVOA and had a chance to win a bunch of games late.

They are very talented and not as bad on defense as we seem to think.

The Redskins, according to USA Today, were the second most injured team in the league last season, and the Cowboys weren't #1 on that list.

Most injured doesn't mean much if the impact of those players isn't the same. How would we have looked if we had lost both Cousins and Reed for virtually the entire season?

Most injured doesn't mean much if the impact of those players isn't the same. How would we have looked if we had lost both Cousins and Reed for virtually the entire season?  

Depends on who our backup QB would've been. I think McCoy would've done better than any of the back-up QBs the Cowboys tried to bring out.

My point is that the Redskins were not some healthy-as-a-horse team, that at full strength, were only good enough for 9-7, as it is being portrayed by some in the sports media and some on this board.

They had A LOT of injuries too that they had to deal with throughout the season that crippled the team.

They were 8-8 those 3 years, losing the final game each year that would have given them the division and the playoffs with a 9-7 record. The same record we so proudly hang our hat on for last season and one of the best records we've had in 25 years.

Yet our 9-7 was because the NFC East was having a "down year", while the Cowboys could have won the division three years in a row with a 9-7 record...

A huge part of the 12-4 team was Murray and their strong running game behind a dominant OL and now they have that again.

A huge part of it was also the number of turnovers their defense generated in 2014. Go back and check the sizable discrepancy in turnovers generated between 2014 and 2015. Here's a hint: their defense only had 11 turnovers last year. Did they add a bunch of playmakers on defense I'm not aware of? I know their group of cast-offs and bargain basement pickups on defense waaaaaay over-performed in 2014...was a mistake to assume they would do so again in 2015.

They are very talented and not as bad on defense as we seem to think.

See above lol...

We would have done better than the cowboys did, that's for sure. That's because we have better depth, and that's because overall the Redskins are a better coached and better run organization, and have the best GM in the division. You win in September with starters and win in December with depth. I would love to have seen how romoSUCKS and their offense would have done missing their starting LG and Center for almost the entire year, along with both starting ILBs and their entire TE depth behind Witten.

I think this used to be true. It seems ever since Mara engineered the "spirit of the cap" bs his team has fallen in the dumpster. Think about it-- The year before he unjustly screwed the 'skins his team won the Super Bowl. Since then, not only have they not returned, but his team hasn't even managed a winning record.

If there is such a thing as football gods... they were pissed at Mara's corrupt abuse of power.

All of the Competition Committee squads fell on hard times to an extent... for the first time in forever.

1 - The Ravens

2 - The Steelers

3 - The Pats

4 - The Giants

None of ever got in trouble, but we have seen some unprecedented stuff for each.

EDIT:  Of course, the league got to the Ravens with Ray Rice and they lost Ray Lewis and Ed Reed... so some of it was on them.

The Steelers had a couple of players suspended.

The Pats, though they've won a Super Bowl they lost deflate gate... a draft pick and the QB for 4 games.

The Giants have just been a mountain of suck.  OBJ's suspension was awesome.

They were 8-8 those 3 years, losing the final game each year that would have given them the division and the playoffs with a 9-7 record. The same record we so proudly hang our hat on for last season and one of the best records we've had in 25 years. So let's not act like they weren't right there in the thick of the division title run for the past several years aside from last year when romoSUCKS and Dez were hurt

What's the saying again about my Aunt having balls? You can look at things subjunctively all you want, but they played out how they played out. As far as injuries go, your main worth is being on the field, not in triage. If their team is that reliant on two guys to prevent an 8-game swing, maybe they're just not as scary as people want to think.

A huge part of the 12-4 team was Murray and their strong running game behind a dominant OL and now they have that again. romoSUCKS has proven he can run a profific passing attack for about a decade now. It's entirely possible he can't stay healthy but it's also possible that the return of a dominant running game with help him stay healthy.

Even with absolute trash at QB last season they had the 9th rates running game based on DVOA and had a chance to win a bunch of games late.

We don't know that they have that again. No one does. A thousand different things can happen. One outcome is a dominant run game, sure, but no one really knows. Even with having a good all-around run game last year and being in games late (most teams are ultimately in games late in today's NFL), they still finished 4-12 and had an 8-game swing, apparently all because of two guys.

Nick

I think we can all agree that the Eagles are going to be garbage, probably win 4 games, tripping over their clown shoes.

Giants, we know how signing a couple high end FAs and getting a new coach, who can't pick his staff goes, so maybe 6-8 wins.

If romoSUCKS somehow stays healthy, with EE now, that offense should win a lot of games, so I'd say between 9 and 12.

We won 9 and improved all around. Our schedule is tougher, but so are we. If our offense picks up where it left off and our guys who are coming back from injury stay healthy, should be between 9-12 wins.

I don't think it's fair to discount our injuries, if you're planning on another teams.

This puts us and the boys at the top fighting for the division and that's a good thing. I like it like that.

I agree we likely will win the NFC East again

The Cowboys unless they intend to play Defense simply by holding the football and keeping it away from the other team has no pass rush, no comers who are any good, and it's best player is often injured Sean Lee on that side of the ball. Add in the aging and often injured Tony R and an overpaid diva WR and there best chance of winning will be to rush the football 50 times a game and I can't see Jerry allowing that. They had a terrible draft and a quite free agency as well. 8 and 8 is the ceiling on that team and only if they change the offense completely

The Giants just made the mistake everyone has and failed with by throwing too much money at free agency and it doesn't work. While I like the new reciever they drafted this teams a mess and something tells me that mister never gets injured will miss some games this season as well. Still with no running back, and a weak pass rush I think they aren't going to win the East either. 8 and 8 ceiling for them as well and I'm being generous

The team I predict who will end in last place are the Eagles. They had the worst offseason and draft of all the teams in the division. They are relying too much on the injury prone Ryan Mathews and that teams built for an offense no longer in town. 6 wins ceiling for them this year and I expect them to fire there coach this upcoming offseason and reboot again

Also it's silly to me to think that when NFL QBs have a soft spot injury that opposing teams won't target the injury prone area on the players body. That's the way NFL players think so expecting romoSUCKS to last 16 games to me is silly and I'm not talking bounties rather just the way it is like how the Capitals knew if they shot high the Penguins goal tender was more likely to miss blocking the shot. One more hit and his career is over and then what does Dallas do?

Also about Carolina they just lost the Super Bowl and if you see how the previous years losers did the next season shows a track record of down seasons following that. It's like the Madden curse yet rarely discussed but will not be surprised to see them struggle this year

I disagree with some of these rankings. TBH, I think the Redskins are one of the more vulnerable teams and certainly shouldn't be considered the safest bet to repeat.

1.) We went worst to first last season, that should always raise a red flag about sustainability. We aren't some perennial juggernaut with a history of consistent 10+ win seasons. We're an upstart that won our division with 9 wins and without ever beating a winning team.

2.) The Cowboys are clearly a more talented team on paper, their previous season was sabotaged by injuries. The ultimate effect is that they just added a ton of high end talent in the draft to what was a 12 win team the previous year.

There is a very real chance that we could be better and play better than we did last season and still not win 9 games again. Or that 9 games isn't enough to win the division.

No way in hell are the Cowboys more talented..Their defense is full of trash players except for Sean Lee

Skins need to prove they can handle being the favorite before I can react positively to articles like this.  Cousins plays like he did toward the end of last year, absolutely this is the best team in the division.  I feel Dallas is more of a threat then the Giants are because I can see them going back to leaning on the run game to protect romoSUCKS like they did that year Murray went off.

No way in hell are the Cowboys more talented..Their defense is full of trash players except for Sean Lee

Their defense was better than ours last season with mostly the same trash players.

I guess we can all just hope that Tony R gets hurt. When healthy he's great and always leads a prolific offense. Most of his career he did so, even without a running game. Then they built the OL and relied on the ground game more and they went 12-4. Now they have the same yet more experienced OL and an arguably better running back. So yeah.

Otherwise, I'm not sure why people choose to ignore their talent and that they are likely the biggest challenge to us and legit favorites for the division and a playoff run.

Also it's silly to me to think that when NFL QBs have a soft spot injury that opposing teams won't target the injury prone area on the players body. That's the way NFL players think so expecting romoSUCKS to last 16 games to me is silly and I'm not talking bounties rather just the way it is like how the Capitals knew if they shot high the Penguins goal tender was more likely to miss blocking the shot. One more hit and his career is over and then what does Dallas do?

Also about Carolina they just lost the Super Bowl and if you see how the previous years losers did the next season shows a track record of down seasons following that. It's like the Madden curse yet rarely discussed but will not be surprised to see them struggle this year

Players that play with the intent to hurt anyone on the field shouldn't be allowed to play again.

I love players that play tough to say 'hi there! '. You need guys like that. But guys going on to injure another player? No way.

Injuries may happen, I just don't wish any to anyone. Whichever team they play for.

Their defense was better than ours last season with mostly the same trash players.

I guess we can all just hope that Tony R gets hurt. When healthy he's great and always leads a prolific offense. Most of his career he did so, even without a running game. Then they built the OL and relied on the ground game more and they went 12-4. Now they have the same yet more experienced OL and an arguably better running back. So yeah.

Otherwise, I'm not sure why people choose to ignore their talent and that they are likely the biggest challenge to us and legit favorites for the division and a playoff run.

Dallas had a terrible defense last year without a huge number of injuries. Ours had a huge number of injuries. At one point we had 11 guys on IR. Injuries crippled us in multiple positions and we still managed a winning record. Right now, the cowboys go as Tony romoSUCKS goes, and we're talking about a 36 year old QB that has bad injury history. And Dallas has drafted poorly recently.

Even if we regress (we have some holes, no doubt) and they manage to win the division, it wont' be with a 12-4 record, and they will do nothing in the playoffs. They are an 8-8 team, like they have been for years and when they do make the playoffs, they are one and done. They are not a great team. They are average, getting old at QB and thin in regards to depth. Honestly, we're the only team that isn't a complete cluster**** in the division right now, for once. The Eagles and Giants are in shambles, and the 'Boys are average, and 1 play away from being terrible.

Just out of curiosity, why do you say the Giants are in shambles?

Seems to me that since they kept their DC, presumably McAdoo keeps his offense intact, and they were really unhealthy last year... they should be a threat this year.

Seems to me that since they kept their DC, presumably McAdoo keeps his offense intact, and they were really unhealthy last year... they should be a threat this year.

Seriously? Ok.....

They have a ton of holes, both on offense and defense. They have no running game and didn't address that in FA or the draft. Their defense was a disaster, and they spent a ton of money on guys that are decent players, but not difference makers. Redskins fans ought to know how well that works. I also think their best player kinda got exposed about how to beat him (OBJ) and he's going to have to face Mr. Norman twice a year now. The Giants have been very average at best for several years now, and this year in a desperate move they tried the old Redskins Way ( that never worked) in trying to win the offseason SB. And the one guy that kept that team together, is gone now (Coughlin). On top of that Eli had his best year as a pro, and it got them 6-10.

I see them as a 4-12 to 6-10 team.

1st time coach

Spending like mad on free agency rarely works

Draft was iffy

They've been on a downward path for three years

Running game needs significant improvement

So does their TE unit

Archived