Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Joe Jacoby selected Hall of Fame finalist

MarkB452

The Hogs were once considered the best offensive line in football. Now there’s a chance they might land another one of their linemen in the Hall of Fame. After four consecutive years as a semifinalist, and six times overall, former Washington Redskins tackle Joe Jacoby became a finalist Thursday night. The inductees will be announced Feb. 6, the day before the Super Bowl.

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/22976/joe-jacoby-selected-hall-of-fame-finalist

Be sure to give him a big round of applause at the game on Sunday as well.

This is long over do. I hope he makes it, but at least it's going to a vote finally.

Not only was he undrafted in a 12 rd draft (1981), he was brought in as D Line. When Buges pointed that out to coach Gibbs their original plan was to work him out a little then release him during the next cuts as they felt they had what they needed on the Oline. But they could not get Jacoby off the field. He was the first answer to LT! Saw him, Reggie White and Randy White twice a year and pretty much always held his own.

Just a note - Mel Kaufman was another undrafted FA we signed that year. Jeff Bostic was an undrafted FA from the 1980 draft! 

Congrats to Jacoby. Hopefully, he gets in this time.

To me, there are three members of the Hogs that deserve to be in the HoF. Three stalwarts that were there from the beginning, and played in all 4 Super Bowls the Redskins were in during the 1980s/early 90s.

Those are Russ Grimm (already in), Joe Jacoby, and Jeff Bostic.

Jacoby is starting to get the attention he deserves. I don't know if Bostic ever will.

Jake belongs. He belongs in a place of honor. Jacoby was one of the first big tackles and his success and how Gibbs used him changed the definition of what an offensive lineman should look like. He was not only great, but changed the game itself.

How is that not HOF worthy?

NFL.com piece on the finalists has Orlando Pace as an almost sure thing, and Jacoby on the outside looking in. No ****ing way should another OL get in their before Jacoby. Twice as many SBs and 3x as many rings as Pace, and the Redskins broke the SB rushing record TWICE with two different RBs. How does an all decade LT with 3 rings not get in the HOF, especially when he was the only constant player in all 4 SBs.

Jacoby should've been in before the Snyder bought the team and I bet he doesn't get in this time either.

Total bs that Monk didn't get credit for years because all the so called experts that get to vote said our team was all about the oline then only the 2nd best of our linemen get to the HOF anyway.

I think Jacoby is a 50/50 guy for the HOF. Meaning I think there is a decent argument both ways-- he's right on the edge to me. As a fan who loved the guy though I very much hope he gets that call and just as symbolism it would be nice to have at least two of the Hogs in the Hall.

But I gotta correct something--- he didn't "hold his own" with LT. He got beat regularly. It was a big problem in those years for us as LT just wreacked havoc. In Jacoby's defense, NO ONE contained LT. He was, and remains, the best PLAYER I've ever seen in the NFL... Jerry Rice is close and Brady is now in the convo as well. So getting beat by LT is nothing to be ashamed of or held against him from the committee. But I also don't think it's fair to revise history and make it sound like those two played to a draw-- because they didn't.

Jacoby was awesome during a stretch in the mid 80s and then injuries and age hampered him and I thought he became more of a battler and grinder-- gutting it out.

Jim Lachey is still the best OL to play for the Redskins in the modern era. He was ridiculous. But his stay at the top was short; injuries ended his run too early to be considered a HOF'er, but at his best, he was THE best.

I hope #66 gets in. Just a classic personification of the teams of that era. He was like a lumberjack by day and an NFL OL by night--- don't really see those kind of guys anymore where they almost all look like chiseled athletes.

But I gotta correct something--- he didn't "hold his own" with LT. He got beat regularly. It was a big problem in those years for us as LT just wreacked havoc. In Jacoby's defense, NO ONE contained LT. He was, and remains, the best PLAYER I've ever seen in the NFL... Jerry Rice is close and Brady is now in the convo as well. So getting beat by LT is nothing to be ashamed of or held against him from the committee. But I also don't think it's fair to revise history and make it sound like those two played to a draw-- because they didn't.

Yeah, LT changed the game for sure.  Here is a good clip on how he used to play against us.  EVERYWHERE. (EDIT: Anyone who is curious, we won this game 33-17)

I think Jacoby is a 50/50 guy for the HOF. Meaning I think there is a decent argument both ways-- he's right on the edge to me. As a fan who loved the guy though I very much hope he gets that call and just as symbolism it would be nice to have at least two of the Hogs in the Hall.

Jacoby was awesome during a stretch in the mid 80s and then injuries and age hampered him and I thought he became more of a battler and grinder-- gutting it out.

Jim Lachey is still the best OL to play for the Redskins in the modern era. He was ridiculous. But his stay at the top was short; injuries ended his run too early to be considered a HOF'er, but at his best, he was THE best.

I hope #66 gets in. Just a classic personification of the teams of that era. He was like a lumberjack by day and an NFL OL by night--- don't really see those kind of guys anymore where they almost all look like chiseled athletes.

This is a spot on post. Should be noted that Lachey was the LT for that incredible 1991 team. Jacoby played the other side. Geez.... what a line that was...

Yeah, I agree with Kleese. The whole reason for the H-Back born from Gibbs was to put a TE on the left side to help Jacoby block LT.

I still think Jake deserves it. He was the longest tenured Hog (Bostic?), played multiple positions and was the model for the huge Left Tackles you see in today's game.

Edit

Edit.

Maybe we just have a different definition of held his own. He did not get beat regularly. I was watching those games every single week. Yes, LT was one of the greatest players ever and he did beat him some. But Joe Jacoby did the best against him of most anyone during that era. His body shape and athleticism started to be more the athlete people started looking for in a LT.

Before disagreeing with me, please read Joe Gibbs auto-biography (talks to his use of a different kind of LT and what he learned with Don Coryell as an assistant) and any book about the creation of the WCO to slow that rush down and maybe even nullify it.

LT was an absolute beast (had the fortune of meeting him at a golf course in Miami. Really nice guy in person). He got his to a certain point. But the Redskins having to see him twice a year developed the best methods to slow him, not stop him. Stopping him was impossible. But slow him down was and big Joe could do that for the most part.

I agree realistically Joe is a 50/50 for the HOF. I want him in but that's of course because I am a Redskins fan.

Taking nothing away from Jacoby, but Lachey was the one who shut down Taylor one-on-one - absolutely no doubt in my mind that if Lachey had stayed healthy he would be a first ballot HOF'er

This is long over do. I hope he makes it, but at least it's going to a vote finally.

Not only was he undrafted in a 12 rd draft (1981), he was brought in as D Line. When Buges pointed that out to coach Gibbs their original plan was to work him out a little then release him during the next cuts as they felt they had what they needed on the Oline. But they could not get Jacoby off the field. He was the first answer to LT! Saw him, Reggie White and Randy White twice a year and pretty much always held his own.

Just a note - Mel Kaufman was another undrafted FA we signed that year. Jeff Bostic was an undrafted FA from the 1980 draft! 

Love the love to Big Jake - one minor correction.  He was undrafted.  He was always brought in as an offensive lineman.  He was a long shot because the skins brought in so many that year.

Joe Jacoby and George Foreman have the biggest hands I have ever shaken.  It was like shaking a foot. ;)

Nothing but respect for Jake - you deserve the recognition. All -80's team!

I can see Pace getting in ahead of him, but I hope it is this year.

The Rook :)

FINALLY!!!! This is long overdue. Hope to see him in Canton and wearing the yellow jacket one day. HTTR!!!

Long overdue is saying that lightly. Every one of the hogs should be in the HOF. They always talk about how Gibbs won SBs with 3 different QB's. The only reason those 3 different QBs won were the great O-line in front of them.

Love the love to Big Jake - one minor correction.  He was undrafted.  He was always brought in as an offensive lineman.  He was a long shot because the skins brought in so many that year.

I said he was undrafted...  Here is my quote "Not only was he undrafted in a 12 rd draft (1981), he was brought in as D Line."  

In terms of Dline, what I should have said is that Joe Gibbs thought he was a Dline and was going to release him because he thought they had enough Oline. He told Bugel to have him run a few drills then they would release him during the next cuts. But Joe Jacoby practiced too well and Bugel kept him, fortunately for us all.  

Taking nothing away from Jacoby, but Lachey was the one who shut down Taylor one-on-one - absolutely no doubt in my mind that if Lachey had stayed healthy he would be a first ballot HOF'er

He was also the one who faced him late in his career but yeah he was definitely HOF worthy if he'd played longer.

Archived