Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

@visionary appreciate your updates and contributions, not sure what you’re confused about though?  Nothing I said was incorrect based off what has been presented by the other poster and the articles you posted.  

Yes its sickening a young girl died but you cannot say what caused it at this point which seems like what is happening (based off of what has been posted and said so far)

and money grabbing by some isn’t a sign of wanting to live the American dream and truly become an American citizen.  If things are truly that bad and someone wants to leave for a better future then they wouldn’t accept a small amount of money to resort back to what they struggled to get out of.

but please, open for discussion on where this is confusing and I can try to explain more

Edited by steve09ru

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6494635/Migrant-girl-7-dies-dehydration-shock-custody-Border-Patrol-father.html

A 7-year-old girl who crossed the U.S.-Mexico border with her father last week died after being taken into the custody of the U.S. Border Patrol, federal immigration authorities confirmed Thursday.

The Washington Post reports the girl died of dehydration and shock more than eight hours after she was arrested by agents near Lordsburg, New Mexico. 

The girl was from Guatemala and was traveling with a group of 163 people who approached agents to turn themselves in on December 6.

It’s unknown what happened to the girl during the eight hours before she started having seizures and was flown to an El Paso hospital.

In a statement, Customs and Border Protection said the girl had not eaten or consumed water in several days.

Processing 163 immigrants in one night could have posed challenges for the agency, whose detention facilities are meant to be temporary and don’t usually fit that many people.

When a Border Patrol agent arrests someone, that person gets processed at a facility but usually spends no more than 72 hours in custody before they are either transferred to Immigration and Customs Enforcement or, if they’re Mexican, quickly deported home.

The girl’s death raises questions about whether border agents knew she was ill and whether she was fed anything or given anything to drink during the eight-plus hours she was in custody.

Immigrants, attorneys and activists have long raised issues with the conditions of Border Patrol holding cells. 

In Tucson, an ongoing lawsuit claims holding cells are filthy, extremely cold and lacking basic necessities such as blankets. 

A judge overseeing that lawsuit has ordered the agency’s Tucson Sector, which patrols much of the Arizona-Mexico border, to provide blankets and mats to sleep on and to continually turn over surveillance footage from inside the cells.

Edited by visionary

I’m sorry, were we just going to let the Tucker Carlson thing slide?

“Immigrants make us poorer and dirtier and more divided.”

The unfortunate side effect of the freedom of the expression is that racebaiting assholes like this get to spout their bull**** without consequence. And in fact will receive greater support from their horde.

Thankfully Pac Life has pulled sponsorship...it’s just sad that it took this long, and sadder yet that other companies still invest in the racists at Faux News.

• Thanks 2

On 12/13/2018 at 8:34 PM, bcl05 said:

This is murder.  She needed IV fluids.  Immediately.  Any ambulance/EMT could have saved her life.  Waiting 8 hours before calling for medical help?  

Shame on us.  Disgraceful.  I pray for accountability but have little hope.

Do you feel the same way today as you did when you posted this? 

19 hours ago, grego said:

Do you feel the same way today as you did when you posted this? 

I would soften my stance.   There are some extenuating circumstances in this particular case that were not clear in the initial reporting.  But not completely.  Fundamentally, as soon as a child is in custody of the US government, she is our responsibility.  She was obviously sick, even if not reported as such by her family, and we should have professionals able to recognize signs of septic shock/dehydration.  They are not subtle and every minute counts.   These migrants are desperate people who are incredibly vulnerable.  Food and safe water are hard to come by on the journey, so our teams should be primed to recognize people who are dehydrated and sick.  I think it is clear that the health and safety of the migrants are not the priority of this administration or most of the agents on the front line.  

Full disclosure - I'm a doc who spent a good chunk of last friday reviewing our pediatric septic shock response protocols and reviewing the relevant literature.  It is clear that every hour counts, and any delays in instituting appropriate therapy (defined as antibiotics and IV fluids - nothing complex) can mean the difference between life and death.

I continue to believe that if her condition was recognized and prioritized, she would likely be alive right now.  

I think the efforts by the Trump administration to make life more difficult for migrants, and to make the US less welcoming and less safe, will undoubtedly lead to deaths, sometimes of children.  I think that is shameful.  

I will note that this is not new, and not just a Trump issue.  There is a video floating around of a border control agent from (I think) a few years ago intentionally pouring out water intended for thirsty people crossing the border.  The lack of empathy and lack of humanity in that guy is absolutely gross.  

Edited by bcl05
  • Like 2

Texas Trump voter now fears the president will seize her family’s land to build his border wall

A Texas woman who voted for President Donald Trump in 2016 tells the Los Angeles Times that she’s now afraid her family’s land will be seized in order to build the president’s proposed border wall.

Rios tells the LA Times that she voted for Trump in 2016 because she wanted to stop undocumented immigrants from coming into the United States.

However, she was disturbed earlier this year when her family received a letter from the federal government asking them to let surveyors access their lands so they could determine whether any of it needed to be used for the wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

“This is our land,” said the 60-year-old Rios, whose family founded the tiny De La Cruz colonia in the Rio Grande Valley decades ago.

In addition to being worried about Trump taking some of her family’s land, she also says she’s disturbed by rumors that the government will build the wall to the north of their neighborhood.

“They can’t leave us on the Mexican side,” Rios pleaded to the LA Times.

Click on the link for the full article

According to members of a congressional delegation that toured the CBP facilities where Caal had been held before her death, El Paso Sector Chief Aaron Hull acknowledged the earlier incident, but declined to discuss the specifics of the case — or of several other alleged health crises involving children in the sector that were raised by the lawmakers.

According to a source present at the meeting, Hull said that while he’d have to review files on the case, he told the lawmakers that it was “lucky” doctors were able to save the girl’s life in November.

Following the tour, incoming Congressional Hispanic Caucus Chairman Rep. Joaquin Castro of Texas said “it’s clear that for quite a while this sector has not been prepared to provide proper medical attention to people … like Jakelin. A lot of us left there wondering if there’re other cases of people who were close to death that we just haven’t found out about.”

Caal’s death has renewed focus on the administration’s increasingly heavy handed immigration policies, including the use of so-called “metering” tactics at Ports of Entry that slow the processing of asylum request to a crawl, forcing thousands of families and children to wait for weeks to request asylum. On Tuesday, Castro called for CBP Commissioner Kevin McAleenan to resign.

Edited by visionary