Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

hopefully the troops are ours

i wish you wouldn't leave me hanging like that

I wouldn't object to the Mexican troops lending a hand, but yes it is ours.

https://apnews.com/0e34832e77f945c0bd8aefdb1facb1af

getting some training with overwatch as well

Many of the others will start the expanded surveillance mission which will last at least through September. The U.S. forces will use Customs and Border Protection vehicles that have mounted surveillance cameras and they will monitor the border.

1 hour ago, visionary said:

Seriously?  The US government, having forceably removed children from their parents and shipping them elsewhere, actually has the chutzpah to argue in court that giving them back would be too traumatic?

And it would "destabilize the permancy of their existing home environment"?  Aren't they trying to deport these children?  Have these kids been adopted?  

Can a lawyer be held in contempt for making an argument that stupid?  In fact, can the cabinet level official who ordered it?

Edited by Larry
  • Thanks 2

i went through quite a few page searching for a thread on islamic-centric themes, preferably about bigotry in the usa towards that identification, and this was still the best place i could find for this article.....now this story is not that big a deal overall----just another old rich white "conservative" male bigot with power and privilege to affect many others.....but if anyone is so moved as to want to start a thread on that theme, go for it, it would probably be a worthwhile addition to our current social context....

also, in case you don't read the whole thing, it's fair to note the guy does offer an apology, and his kids include prominent goper officials who did/do call him out, lovingly enough, on his issues, and one kid (a dem) definitely has rejected his worldviews...also, at the end of the piece at the link it claims that rahm emanuel supposedly levied some financial consequences to the ricketts/cubs' operation (however you view that action) in response to rickett's politics

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/cubs-ownership-faces-backlash-after-patriarchs-racist-islamophobic-emails-leaked/ar-BBTdG0O?li=BBnb7Kz

Cubs ownership faces backlash after patriarch's racist, Islamophobic emails leaked

The family that owns the Chicago Cubs was doing damage control Tuesday after a web site published a series of emails from patriarch Joe Ricketts that revealed racist and anti-Muslim sentiments. Ricketts, the founder and former CEO of TD Ameritrade, helped his family bankroll the more than $800 million purchase of the Cubs, Wrigley Field, and 25% of the cable station Comcast Sportsnet Chicago in 2009 by selling 34 million shares of the online brokerage firm. Ricketts, 77, apologized in a statement for the content of his emails that were published by the website Splinter News. 

His son, Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts, called the father’s emails “racially insensitive” and said “the language and views expressed in those emails have no place in our society.” He also sought to distance his father, a longtime backer of conservative politicians, from the baseball franchise, one of baseball’s most valuable and iconic Major League teams.

“My father is not involved with the operation of the Chicago Cubs in any way,” Tom Ricketts said in a statement. “I am trusted with representing this organization and our fans with a respect for people from all backgrounds. These emails do not reflect the culture we’ve worked so hard to build at the Chicago Cubs since 2009.”

Beyond their ownership of the Cubs, three of the elder Joe Ricketts' children play high-profile roles in American politics. Pete Ricketts, a Republican, is the governor of Nebraska, and Todd Ricketts is the Republican National Committee finance chairman. His daughter, Laura Ricketts, is a prominent Democratic fundraiser and leader on LGBT issues.

Cubs executives on Tuesday also reached out to members of Chicago's Muslim community as they tried to soften blowback from the offensive emails.

“Tom and Cubs executive Julian Green (the Cubs vice president of communications and community affairs) spoke to one of the representatives of the community this morning and reached out to others,” Dennis Culloton, the Ricketts family spokesman, told USA TODAY. “We hope there will be a meeting or meetings.”

The emails, from 2009 to 2013, included the elder Ricketts forwarding racist jokes and conspiracy theories and a message to his son, Pete, in which he refers to Islam as a “cult.”

Joe Ricketts made the comment after Pete — who was elected governor of Nebraska in 2015 — admonished his father for forwarding him an email chain titled “Americans believe in religious freedom — Muslims don’t.”

After his son responded that the elder Ricketts should research such articles before sending them on, Joe Ricketts replied: “Thanks Peter. However, I think Islam is a cult and not a religion. Christianity and Judaism are…based on love whereas Islam is based on ‘kill the infidel’ a thing of evil.”

Pete Ricketts again nudged his father. “I am not sure that your statement is accurate with regards to Islam but I recommend reading the piece on snopes,” he wrote, referring to another web site.

In a May 2012 email written to someone identified as S.V., Joe Ricketts opines on Iran’s nuclear ambitions. He first prefaces that his views are seen through the lens of someone who is "very conservative and selfish as I look at this as protecting my family.”

“Christians and Jews can have a mutual respect for each other to create a civil society. As you know, Islam cannot do that,” Ricketts said. “Therefore we cannot ever let Islam become a large part of our society. Muslims are naturally my (our) enemy due to their deep antagonism and bias against non-Muslims.”

Other emails that Ricketts forwarded [included] debunked “birther” theories that former president Barack Obama was not born in the United States and jokes that used racial epithets for African-Americans and people from the Middle East.

Joe Ricketts expressed regret and apologized for the emails. “Sometimes I received emails that I should have condemned. Other times I’ve said things that don’t reflect my value system,” Ricketts said in a statement. “I strongly believe that bigoted ideas are wrong.”

Some of the emails came in 2012. That year Ricketts had planned to bankroll a Super PAC that would fund racially-tinged, anti-Obama attack ads during the run-up to the 2012 presidential election, according to the New York Times.

<more at link>

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

Am I missing something.  Why would enlisting in the U.S. Military not be grounds for automatic citizenship?  What is the argument against that?  What greater dedication can a non-citizen make to show they want to be a part of this country?

I was stunned when I first heard about non-citizens in the military, because I was stunned that our military would accept them.  

But yeah, I would agree with you.  

31 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Am I missing something.  Why would enlisting in the U.S. Military not be grounds for automatic citizenship?  What is the argument against that?  What greater dedication can a non-citizen make to show they want to be a part of this country?

*speaking in generalities 

There is a pathway to it and it is easier than doing it as a civilian.  There is also a time requirement for it (it varies but about 4 years) and you have to have honorable service (dont get in major trouble).   Then there is a mess of paperwork to do but still quicker than non-military.  For some unknown reason, it is sometimes quite difficult to get them to sit down and do the paperwork.  

2 hours ago, Larry said:

I was stunned when I first heard about non-citizens in the military, because I was stunned that our military would accept them.  

But yeah, I would agree with you.  

Its not that crazy when you think historically, there was a draft because the Army (and sometimes Marines) needed alot of bodies.   And then you have lots of nations (including the US) that used mercenary groups.  Volunteer non-citizens (properly screened) are going to beat involuntary citizens.    Its sort of like the French Foreign Legion, except the US doesn't segregate its forces like that.