Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

23 minutes ago, Chachie said:

Food!

Uh huh...

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

There's probably about a 99% chance that on a daily basis you use or rely on something that was at least partly the result of an undocumented worker. Roads, buildings, etc.

Ok... 

1 hour ago, Forehead said:

Two industries that illegal aliens gravitate to that you may not be aware of are picking fruits and vegetable from farms, and the dairy industry.  Many people who rail against illegal immigration would also be pissed off when the price of their milk, strawberries, oranges etc. double.  You can't have it both ways.

Indeed

@PeterMP would have a heart attack seeing you all arguing that the cost of labor has anything to do with the price of goods...

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Yes I agree.

I agree, so why have a minimum wage for?

The same arguments for the economic argument for minimum wage should also apply to which ever advantage illegal immigration offers in the form of low wage workers (or artificially increasing the cost of labor by creating barriers to entry into the labor pool)

also, just because something is cheap doesn’t mean it is good...

(just an effort to follow visionary’s lead and get the immigration talk in the right thread)

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

23 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Uh huh...

Ok... 

Indeed

@PeterMP would have a heart attack seeing you all arguing that the cost of labor has anything to do with the price of goods...

also, just because something is cheap doesn’t mean it is good...

(just an effort to follow visionary’s lead and get the immigration talk in the right thread)

The diary industry is throwing milk away.

http://time.com/4530659/farmers-dump-milk-glut-surplus/

(Why?  To keep supply low because prices are not tied to their production costs.)

Production costs of milk could almost certainly increase without having any real affect on prices.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PeterMP said:

The diary industry is throwing milk away.

http://time.com/4530659/farmers-dump-milk-glut-surplus/

(Why?  To keep supply low because prices are not tied to their production costs.)

Production costs of milk could almost certainly increase without having any real affect on prices.

There goes the fallacy that illegal immigrants help the economy by keeping prices low... 

21 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

There goes the fallacy that illegal immigrants help the economy by keeping prices low... 

I wouldn't make the claim that there is no impact on prices.  There is some relationship between prices and production costs and I wouldn't say the pass through of increased wages is ever or universally 0% (e.g. making minimum wage $50.00 an hour would almost certainly affect the prices on somethings).

The problem is when people apply the idea that production costs control prices to a specific situation/market/good and/or in a matter consistent with there being a 1:1 relationship.  For any given industry, it is not trivial to determine the amount of pass through on wage increases.  Economists spend a lot of time studying this and there still isn't good agreement.

Though, I'm generally dubious of industry claims and studies funded by industry that say that without cheap workers the price of their products are going to up because as @Larry correctly points out, the one thing that will be affected for sure is profits.

The diary industry claims that without illegal immigration the prices of milk will go up substantially.  I'm extremely dubious of this claim.

(In the agricultural industry, in general, I'm extremely dubious of claims of relationships between prices and production costs IF our government also allows actually allows the free market to function in terms of imports.  Farm laborers come here partly because of laws that protect the US ag industry make it not economically viable to be ag workers in their own countries.)

Edited by PeterMP

13 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

I wouldn't make the claim that there is no impact on prices.

Lol, we just had this conversation about minimum wage and you made the opposite argument. You literally said “prices aren’t determined by cost of production”....

as @Larry correctly points out, the one thing that will be affected for sure is profits.

I agree with that, which is why I said that the only people illegal immigration helps is the super rich.

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Lol, we just had this conversation about minimum wage and you made the opposite argument.

I've never claimed that the minimum wage has no affect on prices or that there is 0 pass through of increases in wages.  Please, show me the post where I did.

(You edited.  Prices aren't determined by the costs of production.  Prices are determined by supply and demand.  Production costs are one factor that affect supply and demand.  It is possible for production costs to go up and prices not to go up (pass through is 0%).  It is possible for production costs to go up and prices to go up some of the increase in the product costs.  And it is possible for production costs to go up and the prices to go up a corresponding amount (i.e. pass through is 100%).

But to simply say that because production costs will go up so will prices (especially a corresponding 1:1) is not true.

Edited by PeterMP

46 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Not a fallacy. Difficult to ascertain, yes. Not a fallacy though. Definitely a very real possibility (likelihood even) of being true.

Cheap labor from poor brown people OK, they are happy to work for practically nothing. Without low wage workers, we’d have lots of inflation.

Cheap labor from US Citizens unnacceptable, we got to pay them a living wage. Paying them more won’t cause inflation.

Come on guys, you don’t see the conflict in your argument??? 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Cheap labor from poor brown people OK, they are happy to work for practically nothing. Without low wage workers, we’d have lots of inflation.

Cheap labor from US Citizens unnacceptable, we got to pay them a living wage. Paying them more won’t cause inflation.

Wow. I don't think I've ever seen anybody try to stage an argument between two straw men before. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

All I said was that it’s not a fallacy.

16 minutes ago, Larry said:

Wow. I don't think I've ever seen anybody try to stage an argument between two straw men before. 

That is the argument that is being made... it’s not a strawman...  If that’s not the argument being made i’d appreciate an explanation of the nuance...

3 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

What happened is that you said something was a fallacy that wasn’t and then when I pointed it out, you countered with an ignoratio elenchi (which actually is a fallacy).

I suppose if you take your post, place it in a complete vacuum and totally omit the bigger picture, you are correct. 

10 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

That is the argument that is being made... it’s not a strawman...  If that’s not the argument being made i’d appreciate an explanation of the nuance...

Then quote the people making those arguments, instead of making up your own. 

10 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

What happened is that you said something was a fallacy that wasn’t and then when I pointed it out, you countered with an ignoratio elenchi (which actually is a fallacy).

You are using Bonetti's defense against me. 

Edited by Larry

10 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Ok, Sacks deserves some kind of special reward for working  ignoratio elenchi into the thread

Image result for cookie