Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

16 FA - CT25, Jr., Ribs, Blackmon, LJLP, Colt, Ked, Foster, Nacho re-sign! JOSH NORMAN, Booth, Toler, Vern, Garvin, Bruton, Reyes sign!

DC9

I love the fact that we are worried about paying guys to stay here instead of kicking them to the curb, means we either drafted well or scouted in Free Agency well. Not too many years ago we used to not feel this way. This is a sign of good things happening.

Don't worry about Redskins for life just yet, we need to see Cousins continue to improve this season and imo if he does everyone else becomes expendable but everything else will work out fine. Think about the Patriots, only elite receiver they ever had with Brady was Randy Moss for two seasons and Gronk when he's not injured. That never stopped them from contending.

QB is the key to all of this. Norman could be a beast for us for four years but if Cousins isn't then we will lose more games then win. That is just the way the NFL is today. Starts right there but signing Norman is a clear sign the team and front office believes he will only get better from here. If he does expect a repeat of the division champions for us this season, if he doesn't well we go back to the drawing board

Great post, but on this point I would disagree, this move proves we will always be in the market for an elite FA in the 'perfect storm'.

We hardly are in the market of Elite FA anymore. We stayed really quiet at the beginning of the FA period because we had other things to deal with (starting with our QB). And we would have stayed away from this if the Panthers weren't that stupid (wondering what their fans thinks right now about this).

Norman was just an opportunity we jumped on and nailed it.

Had Norman been a FA since the beginning he would never ever have ended up being a Redskin, but most likely a Jaguar or a Raider by now. And we wouldn't even have pursued him.

Interesting perspective from the NY Giants-NY Daily News perspective.  They say the same thing that some of us thought -- they'd likely be all over Norman if they didn't overpay for Jenkins.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/myers-odell-beckham-josh-norman-teammates-giant-article-1.2610783

If Josh Norman hit the open market last month before the Giants invested in Janoris Jenkins, then Big Blue could have been all-in going after the Odell Beckham Jr.-baiting, Super Bowl-crying big mouth All-Pro cornerback.

How much fun would Giants practices have been in training camp?

Norman vs. OBJ scrapping every day would have tested the patience of rookie coach Ben McAdoo, who probably would have needed to toss them off the field once or twice. As long as Norman left his Panthers friend with the baseball bat back in Carolina, the entertainment value would have been off the charts and suitable for the whole family.

Instead, the Panthers slapped the $14 million franchise tag on Norman last month and the Giants spent their cornerback money on the less-accomplished Jenkins with a five-year, $62.5 million deal that includes $28.8 million guaranteed. That goes along with Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie entering the third year of a five-year $35 million deal that has $11.98 million guaranteed.

So, the Giants are pretty much tapped out on cornerback money even though they are still $21 million under the salary cap.

The Giants signed free agents Olivier Vernon, Jenkins and Snacks Harrison to deals totaling $193.7 million with $105.3 million guaranteed. They have made zero Pro Bowls. The top players usually get signed before their contracts are up or they get franchised. Vernon had the transition tag placed on him by the Dolphins and then removed when they signed Mario Williams.

Norman’s case is unusual: A 28-year-old, first-team All-Pro with Super Bowl experience being let loose in the market more than one month into free agency. You may not like Norman’s mouth or had no compassion when he was crying on the bench as the final seconds ticked off in the Panthers’ surprising loss to the Broncos in the Super Bowl, but there is no denying he is a shutdown corner in a league that craves players with the skills to stop the supercharged offenses.

That’s why as soon as Carolina lifted the tag, Norman was in big demand.

Yea exactly, that's why this is one of these situations where hearing any hating by outside teams is just hilarious.  We got the recent 28 year old All Pro for a nominal cost differential compared to a not-even-pro-bowl player in the same FA season.

Could be nothing, but Kam Chancellor to the Redskins is trending.

http://www.chatsports.com/washington-redskins/a/redskins-rumors-washington-working-trade-kam-chancellor-28366

The Washington Redskins were the surprising winners of the Josh Norman sweepstakes, bringing him to D.C. on a massive five-year deal. However, the Skins may not be done upgrading their secondary just yet.

Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor is still unhappy with Seattle as they refuse to make any changes to his contract, and they haven't been shy about making him available via trade - for the right price.

Washington has expressed interest in acquiring the former Virginia Tech safety this offseason in their search to upgrade what was a woeful secondary in 2015. After adding Norman, the Redskins seem determined to go all-in on vastly improving that unit. 

The Redskins would likely have to part with a draft pick (or two) and an offensive lineman in any trade for Chancellor, should Seattle decide to pull the trigger.

Seahawks general manager John Schneider recently said he doesn't expect Chancellor to hold out this year, but they don't plan to make any changes to his contract. 

Chancellor, who grew up a big Redskins and Sean Taylor fan, will make $5.1 million in 2016 and $6.8 million in the final year of his contract in 2017.

There's no possible way that happens, which is EXACTLY what I said about Josh Norman, so there.

I'm not a huge Cam fan. I think he benefits greatly from having Earl Thomas back there. Him I would sell the house for. SSs aren't that hard to find in the draft and this one has a lot.

good article just posted on the dynamics of the Norman deal, some highlights (whole thing is worth a read)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/how-one-of-the-nfls-best-cornerbacks-suddenly-ended-up-with-the-redskins/2016/04/24/03f1aa62-0a57-11e6-bfa1-4efa856caf2a_story.html

The way things work within the franchise under Scot McCloughan, the general manager serves as the chief talent evaluator. McCloughan, Coach Jay Gruden and his assistants and team president Bruce Allen will confer, although McCloughan can and has overruled their opinions. McCloughan makes the final call on which players to pursue, and Allen and chief negotiator Eric Schaffer make it happen. Snyder, meanwhile, is kept abreast of plans, people within the organization said, but no longer is a key member of discussion meetings.

A Redskins’ pursuit of Norman proved surprising because McCloughan strongly believes in using the NFL draft to build the roster, and typically eschews relying on free agency. During March’s busiest shopping period, Washington sat idle as the top free agents came and went. But there are always exceptions, and McCloughan viewed Norman as an elite player at a position of great need.

Washington has one ascending cornerback in Bashaud Breeland. However, the would-be starter opposite him — Chris Culliver, whom Washington signed last offseason to a contract that pays him $8 million a year — is coming off of the second reconstructive knee surgery of his career, and may not return to full strength by the start of the season. The Redskins hold the 21st pick in the draft, however, the top cornerbacks all could be gone by then.

Because of their conservative approach in free agency, the Redskins still had some cap space — roughly $12 million — and also had moves they could make to create more financial flexibility. And so, with McCloughan giving the green light, Allen and Schaffer took over.

Allen comprised the plan on how to woo Norman, while Schaffer began crunching numbers to figure out what type of contract would both satisfy the cornerback, and also avoid wrecking the Redskins’ salary cap.

Allen made initial contact with Norman, expressing the team’s desire to bring him to Washington, and even rushed him a custom made No. 24 Redskins jersey to Norman’s Atlanta home, the player said on the team’s television show, “Redskins Nation.”

By Thursday evening, Norman’s agent had the framework of an offer from Schaffer, and Allen had orchestrated a plan for a meeting the next day between team officials and the cornerback.

I think Scot will trade down, otherwise I like Ryan Kelly at 21.

"There isn't a faster-rising offensive lineman than Ryan Kelly: I have a second-round grade on Alabama's Kelly and I've felt like he's a solid second-rounder all along, but that's all changing. Kelly is clearly the best center in this draft and teams realize there will be a big drop in quality after him at that position. Because of this, his value is skyrocketing and he should land in the first round."

Link

Karl Joseph is good but he tore his ACL, I would select Keanu Neal.

"He looks like an NFL safety. Looks like he can run on tape and is exactly what you look for in run support. He's an athlete so I don't worry about his cover skills as long as his instincts are okay." -- NFC defensive backs coach

I say we draft a DT with our first round pick.

By Thursday evening, Norman’s agent had the framework of an offer from Schaffer, and Allen had orchestrated a plan for a meeting the next day between team officials and the cornerback.

That's exactly what BA needs to be doing now.

Securing a stadium site and making FAs feel like the belle of the ball.

One thing I like about Bruce Allen is the man knows how to sell and close deals without throwing absurd contracts like Vinny would. I mean we paid a lot for Norman but the way the deal is structured it's not too bad, but just his ability to pounce and sell Norman on the idea of being a Redskin so rapidly that he didn't even visit with anyone else.

The thing about BA is that, and he deserves credit for it,  he actually likes being in charge of the gluten free options.  He has no ego whatsoever, which is how we ended up with SM in the first place.  And here we sit, with Bruce Allen still part of a positive lineage of Allen's in our franchise history, yet we end up with a top 3 GM in the league. 

You would think, but not only are there dumbasses outside of our fanbase, but dumbasses within our fanbase and you know someone will still claim he's involved.

I was listening to 106.7 last night around 10:30pm and this guy Andrew Fillipponi from Pittsburgh was subbing for Bill Simonson on his show (national cbs show)...this dude talked for 45 minutes about how it's the same old Redskins, how we're the worst franchise, how we always overspend, how the Panthers were the smart team here, and how we'll never learn from our mistakes or win another super bowl ever again.  He had the biggest hard on for bashing Snyder and said this was all him signing Norman like it always has been.  Then he had Grant Paulsen on and GP laid out all of the facts; it was a great phone in interview.  Then the dude went right back to bashing Snyder for the 10 minutes after the interview.  It was so difficult to listen to this guy because it felt personal and it was based on strictly opinion. 

So Skip said his only hope is that Norman is so sad that he isn't playing on Carolina anymore that he ultimately fails... that's essentially the level of "critique" people can legitimately have for this.

Stephen A is more focused on the farce that is Carolina pretending like their team is a "family" because of how they didn't allow him to sign that 1 year tender at the 11th hour.... fine with me I agree Carolina is a joke so sounds good

Archived