Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

16 FA - CT25, Jr., Ribs, Blackmon, LJLP, Colt, Ked, Foster, Nacho re-sign! JOSH NORMAN, Booth, Toler, Vern, Garvin, Bruton, Reyes sign!

DC9

True; plus, I'm sure Scot is looking to acquire some comp picks starting next off-season, and is banking on Gallete balling out and being signed by another team for a hefty sum, thereby allowing Preston Smith to take over at ROLB and netting a 3rd round comp pick for 2018.  Signing a player to a huge contract this year instead of next year (when people may think we're only 1 year away, and 1 player away) ensures we still have the opportunity for a high comp pick in 2018.

And you know by what method?  If Gallete balls out and have an elite year you do your best to get him signed.  Elite players don't fall off trees bruh.

Hail Em Up!

To make our secondary elite who's in the mood for Skins in drafting Karl Joseph?  Or do we spend the pick at 21 for a trench player if the pick isn't used as bait to trade back?

Karl Joseph in that secondary would be special.

Hail Em Up!

IMO, I think this means we are going WR in rd 1 to offset the loss of DJax and Garcon next year.

I'm not sure about that, since SMC wants to trade down and this draft lacks elite WR. I like De'Runnya Wilson in the later rounds, we could use him as a red zone target.

And you know by what method?  If Gallete balls out and have an elite year you do your best to get him signed.  Elite players don't fall off trees bruh.

Hail Em Up!

If he balls out and has an elite year, he'll command more than the contract Olivier Vernon just signed.  We can't afford that, and we wouldn't want to, with Preston Smith waiting in the wings.  Be smart.  Play the comp pick game - they're even more valuable now that they're trade-able.

To make our secondary elite who's in the mood for Skins in drafting Karl Joseph?  Or do we spend the pick at 21 for a trench player if the pick isn't used as bait to trade back?

I think Scot will trade down, otherwise I like Ryan Kelly at 21.

"There isn't a faster-rising offensive lineman than Ryan Kelly: I have a second-round grade on Alabama's Kelly and I've felt like he's a solid second-rounder all along, but that's all changing. Kelly is clearly the best center in this draft and teams realize there will be a big drop in quality after him at that position. Because of this, his value is skyrocketing and he should land in the first round."

Link

Karl Joseph is good but he tore his ACL, I would select Keanu Neal.

"He looks like an NFL safety. Looks like he can run on tape and is exactly what you look for in run support. He's an athlete so I don't worry about his cover skills as long as his instincts are okay." -- NFC defensive backs coach

Which is exactly where we want to be next year. We don't want to be in the market for any expensive FAs next year.

Great post, but on this point I would disagree, this move proves we will always be in the market for an elite FA in the 'perfect storm'.

Thursday was a day too late bro'. 

All Everton wives where in intensive care by that point. 

Hail. 

They have about 4 hours left to hide from today.  Eek.

Who do you think we should cut here for space?  Haven't seen you in a while.

Great post, but on this point I would disagree, this move proves we will always be in the market for an elite FA in the 'perfect storm'.

We are kind of 2 for 2 on these late winter/early spring cuts aren't we?

But few and far between.  3 years apart for these two?

I think we'll make some cap space in the summer then sort out a couple of deals on our own guys....I predict Reed will be a done deal this cap year. We're in good shape, especially if we nail this draft.

We need to save money at WR in 2017, go get one in the draft next week.

If you insist. :P

I just think we're gonna be more about re-signing our own guys while letting others of our choosing go so as to prioritize netting comp picks moving forward. I just don't see more contracts like that given out in the near future.

Essentially, it was the idea posited when Scot was first hired that we'd be less into Free Agency every year as our drafted core grows in quantity (amount of draft picks piling up every year) and quality (experience gained by said draft picks).

But, yeah, maybe you're right and we still will. Maybe the comp picks thing isn't where their mind is and I'm making more of that than there is. :)

I think we'll make some cap space in the summer then sort out a couple of deals on our own guys....I predict Reed will be a done deal this cap year. We're in good shape, especially if we nail this draft.

We need to save money at WR in 2017, go get one in the draft next week.

Clemson. Mac neads to look at the wideout steal out of Clemson. 

My work today is done. 

But whilst I'm thinking on .....

Did anyone ever project what rnd. comp. we'd likely of gotten for Knighton?

Curious minds and all that. 

Hail. 

But, yeah, maybe you're right and we still will. Maybe the comp picks thing isn't where their mind is and I'm making more of that than there is. :)

It's the beauty of having a great GM....play the cards as they come.

This week we've bagged the #1 CB who in reality the like of the Giants or Raiders would have signed for 85-90mil 4 weeks ago.

We have a good balance of draft/FA right now.

Clemson. Mac neads to look at the wideout steal out of Clemson

I've been in the Peake camp for a while now.....but I think we now have the chance to aim higher.

I'm not too worried about contract year performances. I would think everyone who was in a contract year would ball out. The question is do they have the desire to continue that level of play once they get paid.

I think GMSM is the right guy to determine that.

Top 20 2016 Unrestricted free agents

2. Josh Norman, Carolina Panthers cornerback: There's nothing like having your breakout season in a contract year. Norman has been the best cornerback in football this year and is a legitimate Defensive Player of the Year candidate. He's not going anywhere.................

................other than DC

Top 20 2016 Unrestricted free agents

2. Josh Norman, Carolina Panthers cornerback: There's nothing like having your breakout season in a contract year. Norman has been the best cornerback in football this year and is a legitimate Defensive Player of the Year candidate. He's not going anywhere.................

................other than DC

Who was number 1?

It's the beauty of having a great GM....play the cards as they come.

This week we've bagged the #1 CB who in reality the like of the Giants or Raiders would have signed for 85-90mil 4 weeks ago.

We have a good balance of draft/FA right now.

Yeah, I wouldn't really be opposed if we maintain this balance moving forward... I just believe that the FO as is right now is looking to get into that perennial comp pick club with some of the better teams in the league. 

As an aside, I think there's a pattern here emerging and it shows something philosophical regarding Scot as GM. Me thinks something thread-worthy is coming up here soon if I can gather my thoughts properly. :) 

Archived