Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

16 FA - CT25, Jr., Ribs, Blackmon, LJLP, Colt, Ked, Foster, Nacho re-sign! JOSH NORMAN, Booth, Toler, Vern, Garvin, Bruton, Reyes sign!

DC9

Not sure if this has been discussed yet, but I really hope we let Garcon go and sign Marvin Jones this off-season. 

The kid is is only 25, and at a lanky 6'2", he'd make a good RZ target for Kirk.  Jones should definitely be comfortable in this offense, and would have an opportunity to eventually be a #1 WR, which is more than he'd ever be in Cincy.  I'm hoping Gruden's connection to Jones will pay off.

Ease of convenience allows one to bring back McCoy as the vet back-up, but, he really is lackluster. 

Before Yates went down with the torn ACL, he would have been preferable to me.

Presumably there is added benefit to McCoy for us since he's been here a while. Our QB decision this offseason was made easy by Kirk taking ownership of the starting position. All we have to do is bring him and Colt back and then look for a third string project in the draft.

I would re-sign some guys, extend some guys, but mostly look at the draft.

My only big grab in FA would prob. be Mack. I'd look to develop other needs through the draft.

Go into the offseason with the same mindset.

"I know we exceeded expectations last year, but we still have a ways to go before we get where we want to be."

The important thing to keep in mind is we're heading in the right direction and we need to keep moving forward with Scott and Jay running this team, regardless of how we perform in 2016.

I hope people who matter understand this.

I may finally get to change my avatar. :)

If I'm Denver, I'd sign Alfred Morris. I don't think he's actually going to be very expensive because he's coming off a poor season.And if I'm Houston I sign/trade for RGIII.

I think my biggest fear is rg3 going to Dallas and then Steve Younging us. Few remember that young started out with the bucs, had two awful years when he was 24 and 25, and then got traded to the 49ers to sit behind montana. Then went on to the hall of fame. My nightmare scenario would be Dallas doing that, rg3 learning how to function in a pocket while behind romo, and then dallas drafting Henry (not a fit in every system, but could be nasty in dallas). Would be a tough offense to deal with for the next 8 years.

I think my biggest fear is rg3 going to Dallas and then Steve Younging us. Few remember that young started out with the bucs, had two awful years when he was 24 and 25, and then got traded to the 49ers to sit behind montana. Then went on to the hall of fame. My nightmare scenario would be Dallas doing that, rg3 learning how to function in a pocket while behind romoSUCKS, and then dallas drafting Henry (not a fit in every system, but could be nasty in dallas). Would be a tough offense to deal with for the next 8 years.

Yeah that would be a nightmare. Knowing Dallas, they'd be interested in RGIII too, they like reclamation projects. Hook him back up with Terrence Williams too. That's why I'm hoping he ends up in the AFC.

"Per sources, the Redskins intend to execute a blockbuster deal with their new franchise quarterback before the deadline to tag players in early March, but are fully prepared to franchise Cousins if they can't beat the clock. As one source explained it, "He's not getting out of the building."

Just read this here http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000619470/article/notebook-top-qb-draft-prospects-kirk-cousins-value-and-more

What a season.

Honestly I don't know what to expect here in this thread for the off season.

We dabbled a little bit in FA last year.  Curious to see how Scot plays this.

We do have the option to sign some futures now, so maybe we'll see a few of them in the next week or so.

Whatever happens, I'll make sure I update it in the OP. 

What I want is for the 2016 season to be different then the seasons following the last three times we made the playoffs, 2006, 2008, and 2013.  

Shore up the team, and keep building and growing.  I don't want wholesale change.  I want continued progress.  We have a good team that can be a great team.  

Hopefully we sign a fair deal with Cousins, as in we shouldn't go crazy. If he gets top 5-10 money then we are just outbidding ourselves, but in the end he is a QB he will be expensive, just don't be stupid about it.

I keep all the WRs (minus Roberts). WR isn't a problem, Jackson spreads the field, Garcon a good possession guy, Reed is Reed, and Crowder, Grant and those guys are all good Route runners in the slot. Get Paul healthy and that area is set.

O-line: In my opinion we need to sign a good center, and probably a good run blocking guard

RB: Hmm if Morris is cheap I bring him back. I think Gruden would be wise to consider a change in the running scheme rather than the personnel. We seem to pass a little much, even today after a big play, too much passing would lead to a sack right after. We actually ran the ball effectively, just not enough. We ran the ball 18 times.... Morris should be getting 15-20 a game by himself, and this game was a game until the 4th. I think it is something we really need to address.

Jr. Gallette. I sign him again he should be cheap again... so why not, he is talented as hell when healthy.

Wouldn't mind Knighton on a 3 year deal.

We need to sign a safety, and I say draft a corner with out top pick. Culliver and Breeland will be back, and throwing 1st round talent in the mix will only help and give us some flexibility.

We need to sign a good run stuffing ILB, that is what we are missing. Those guys in the middle were good in pass coverage, but so weak against the run. D-line seemed good at disrupting the running lanes, but our ILBs just couldn't hit the gaps created for them and shed blocks to make the tackle.

So yeah I think we need to Sign a Safety, OG/C or both, and an inside line backer.

Draft a Corner with the top pick.

And making adjustments to the running scheme, or run/pass balance

What I want is for the 2016 season to be different then the seasons following the last three times we made the playoffs, 2006, 2008, and 2013.  

Shore up the team, and keep building and growing.  I don't want wholesale change.  I want continued progress.  We have a good team that can be a great team.  

Well, for that we need honesty.

I think 2013 was almost the same team as 2012.  We needed to get better and didn't.

This offseason, we'll need to take a good look at who is going to make this team excellent in the future as well as this season.

Be nice if both DJax and Garçon would restructure and take a drop to help out both the cap and keep both on the team. 

If they don't, and we can only realistically keep one, I'm not sure which way I'd fall. On the one hand, when fully healthy, DeSean is one of the few genuine playmakers we have always capable of the big play. On the other, Pierre is one of the most underrated players still on the team and one of the hardest working, best downfield blocking receivers who also is a threat in his own right I can ever remember having the privilege to watch. 

Tough decision if it's a 'pick one' from those two. 

Hail. 

Too soon for me to be talking about who I want to get rid of that's still under contract. Part of me still wants to get to the actual offseason first, because I believe a lot of it will take care of itself. I do feel we'll have the cap room to take care of our most gapping holes, and draft picks. And a Gm.

Be nice if both DJax and Garçon would restructure and take a drop to help out both the cap and keep both on the team. 

If they don't, and we can only realistically keep one, I'm not sure which way I'd fall. On the one hand, when fully healthy, DeSean is one of the few genuine playmakers we have always capable of the big play. On the other, Pierre is one of the most underrated players still on the team and one of the hardest working, best downfield blocking receivers who also is a threat in his own right I can ever remember having the privilege to watch. 

Tough decision if it's a 'pick one' from those two. 

Hail. 

It's not even close for me - Pierre Garcon.  Jackson can't stay healthy.  And when he does play, I truly don't think he gives 100%.  And I would've said that before today.  Pierre Garcon goes over the middle and catches almost everything thrown his way.  He's a gritty player who gives it his all.  

Here's the thing about team building... we were supposed to be a smash mouth team (San Fran and Seattle), that was good in the run game, able to take shots when needed, and good at stopping the run.

IF we are shifting identities, and want to be more of an "air it out" type of a team, then we're going to need to have a defense that is built to hold a lead.  Which means pass rushers and coverage/ball skills in the secondary. (Look at the Polian/Manning Colts from a few years ago).  Those Colts teams didn't really finish poorly in run defense (from my recolection) but that's because Peyton would put them up quickly and they'd be passing.  Hence, Bob Sanders, Dwight Freeney, and Robert Mathis. But if memory serves, if you could get the run game going they struggled.

If we are still building a smash mouth type team, I'm reasonably confident, as GHH said, we're going to be waiving goodbye to DJax or Garcon (or possibly both).  But that frees up some money to fix the running game and maybe get Pot Roast for another year or two.  What it also does is limit your weapons. So you'll need to get a weapon that will take the coverage away from Reed.

This will be an interesting offseason to see where we go identity-wise.

The Garcon/Jackson debate is not one I particularly like as I don't like cutting good players. There is no question that our offense improved A LOT when Jackson and Reed returned. Garcon wasn't nearly as effective earlier in the year. That said, unless you think Ross or some other player is ready to take over that deep threat role and do it in a way other defenses take seriously... you need Jackson. At the same time, this year Desean was only good for 2 or 3 catches a game and while his impact his big his numbers were not. I think the injury thing was a fluke, but who knows?

I also think Garcon became a better receiver (less drops) after we started winning. There could be a buy-in/concentration effect. Will Desean buy in enough to take the off season more seriously? That is an important question too.

Don't see any reason to go away from where our talent currently lies.

I'm biased though because I never wanted to be a ground and pound running team. That's boring to me. Don't mind being physical or having that smash mouth mindset but I don't want it to come as a running team. I want to see Scot adapt to what our strengths were this past season and build on that

I'm not sure having a legit run game won't open things up a bit more down the field.

But with the salary cap the way it is, you really only have a few ways to build a team that can contend for a championship. And yes, that's the next step.

If you keep DJax and Garcon, then you probably want another weapon on the outside, another RB, and you'd want to invest heavily in the defense (again) in the draft and FA.

A premier secondary player is a must and we've been missing one since Sean Taylor, obviously.  But we have to have one.

Archived