Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

Is this what's meant my concealed carry?

Jail For Man In Ass-ault Weapon Case

SEPTEMBER 18--A Louisiana man who was found to have a loaded pistol in his buttocks during a jail strip search pleaded guilty today to weapons and contraband charges, court records show.

In a plea deal, Justin Savoie, 24, copped to a pair of felony counts and a misdemeanor charge in connection with his arrest late last year at a residence in Golden Meadow, a Bayou town 40 miles south of New Orleans.

Police confronted Savoie and a female acquaintance after spotting suspicious activity at the woman’s residence. During a pat down of Savoie, cops recovered a concealed handgun, marijuana, and drug paraphernalia. They also subsequently seized several other guns from Savoie’s truck, as well as homemade silencers.

Savoie was arrested and brought to a Lafourche Parish Sheriff’s Office sub-station to be processed on a variety of criminal counts. It was during the intake process that Savoie was subjected to a strip search that revealed he was in possession of another firearm.

According to police, Savoie had a .25 caliber Titan pistol concealed in his rear end. The handgun, which has a 2.5-inch barrel and measures 4.375 inches long, was loaded.

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 1

Great-uncle charged after 3-year-old finds loaded gun in kitchen drawer, shoots himself in Florida

A negligent gun owner was arrested in Florida over the weekend after his 3-year-old great-nephew found a loaded firearm inside a kitchen drawer and shot himself, authorities said.

The boy, who’s expected to survive, apparently climbed onto the counter, opened an unlocked drawer and pulled the trigger, shooting himself in the hand and thigh, police said in an arrest report obtained by local news outlets.

His great-uncle, 61-year-old James Romano, admitted to smoking two marijuana cigarettes before the child was dropped off at the home Sunday in Juniper Inlet Colony, according to The Palm Beach Post. He also told police that he forgot he had left the 9-mm. semi-automatic handgun in the kitchen drawer that day.

The West Virginia resident was charged with culpable negligence and unsafe storage of a firearm. He was arrested Sunday night and released Monday after posting $1,000 bond, jail records show.

The boy was at least the second U.S. child to shoot himself with an unsecured firearm in recent days.

A toddler in North Carolina died from a “self-inflicted gunshot wound” last week during an incident that is still under investigation. The 2-year-old was home with two adults and a teenager when the shooting happened.

Shopper flaunting his gun in checkout line shoots himself in the groin, Oregon cops say

A man showing off his gun to a friend accidentally shot himself in the groin and leg, Oregon police said.

Lincoln City Police said in a Monday news release that Nicholas Ellingford, a 29-year-old from Lincoln City, Oregon, shot himself Sunday at a supermarket.

“Investigation revealed that Ellingford was inside the store and as he was waiting in the checkout line, he un-holstered a Glock 9mm semi-automatic pistol from his waistband so that he could show it off to a friend,” police said in the news release.

Ellingford reportedly was holding the gun near the front of his pants when he accidentally pulled the trigger, police said.

“The bullet entered into Ellingford’s groin area before exiting out the lower thigh of his leg, narrowly missing his femoral artery,” Lincoln City police said.

• Haha 1

’I reached over and got my shotgun, and I ****ed it’: Grandma fends off would-be burglar

A 78-year-old woman from Spanaway held an intruder at gunpoint after finding the man breaking into her home, according to the Pierce County Sheriff’s Office.

The woman, who goes by Sandy, knew something was wrong when her dog, Booboo, started barking Sunday night.

“I opened my door, and standing right 2, 3 feet in front of me was a man. We looked at each other for a few seconds, and he turned and started to leave. And I said, ‘Oh no, you don’t. You stay right there!’” she said.

Sandy said her neighborhood has been plagued by crime recently, resulting in her car being prowled twice. When she came face to face with the intruder, she wasn’t about to let him run away.

“I reached over and got my shotgun. And I ****ed it, and I told him to stay right there,” she said. “Told him to go sit on the steps. I followed him out, and I just stood here with the shotgun waiting for the police to come.”

Aerosmith's song Janie's Got A Gun comes to mind only with a lyric modification:  ♫"Granny's got a gun..."♫

Edited by China
  • Like 1

White supremacist killed in shootout with California deputies

A white supremacist was killed in a shootout with deputies in Templeton, California, according to a San Luis Obispo Sheriff's Office news release Friday.

The shooting took place Thursday morning when deputies at first tried to conduct a traffic stop on Christopher Michael Straub, 38, near a cemetery. Straub got out of his vehicle and ran through the vineyards of the cemetery, the release said.

He then hid and ambushed deputies, firing multiple rounds at them with a handgun. Deputy Richard "Ted" Lehnhoff, 34, was hit in the leg and airlifted to a local hospital, where he underwent surgery and is in stable condition, the release said.

Straub continued evading deputies and attempted to return to his vehicle through the vineyard, but additional deputies arrived on scene and intercepted him as he tried to regain access to his vehicle.

Straub was later pronounced dead at the scene, according to the sheriff's office.

After the shooting, authorities found multiple weapons in Straub's vehicle, including four assault-style rifles, one bolt-action hunting rifle, one shotgun, and two handguns along with the handgun he used to shoot at deputies, plus hundreds of rounds of ammunition.

200925215749-02-california-white-suprema

• Thanks 1

On 9/3/2020 at 12:22 PM, China said:

So we're turning this country into the wild west:

Shots fired over mask policy at a Family Dollar

On 9/7/2020 at 9:59 AM, China said:

Another wild west story:

Stafford Waffle House employees clean up after customers begin shooting

@Dan T. just posted this in the Florida thread.  Now we have people having shootouts on the highway.  Not gun control, just reckless endangerment.

Arkansas man convicted for killing woman over incorrect fast food order

Police say 34-year-old Andra Crockett killed Priscilla Aldridge, 37, and injured his brother after they brought back his incorrect fast-food order.

The jury convicted Crockett with first-degree murder and first-degree battery in the shooting of both victims.

According to officials, when Crockett looked at his bag of fast-food on March 5, 2019, a neighbor heard him say, "B****, you know I don't like mayonnaise on my hamburger."

Police said Crockett shot Thomas three times and Aldridge once, killing her.

So that's what handguns are for; gotta protect yourself from those people out to get you.

• Sad 1

On 9/26/2020 at 10:53 PM, China said:

White supremacist killed in shootout with California deputies

A white supremacist was killed in a shootout with deputies in Templeton, California, according to a San Luis Obispo Sheriff's Office news release Friday.

The shooting took place Thursday morning when deputies at first tried to conduct a traffic stop on Christopher Michael Straub, 38, near a cemetery. Straub got out of his vehicle and ran through the vineyards of the cemetery, the release said.

He then hid and ambushed deputies, firing multiple rounds at them with a handgun. Deputy Richard "Ted" Lehnhoff, 34, was hit in the leg and airlifted to a local hospital, where he underwent surgery and is in stable condition, the release said.

Straub continued evading deputies and attempted to return to his vehicle through the vineyard, but additional deputies arrived on scene and intercepted him as he tried to regain access to his vehicle.

Straub was later pronounced dead at the scene, according to the sheriff's office.

After the shooting, authorities found multiple weapons in Straub's vehicle, including four assault-style rifles, one bolt-action hunting rifle, one shotgun, and two handguns along with the handgun he used to shoot at deputies, plus hundreds of rounds of ammunition.

200925215749-02-california-white-suprema

One less asshole 👍

The Time Is Now to Recommit to a National Assault Weapon Ban | Opinion

ERIC SWALWELL

I get this is just an OP by one guy who isn't even on my ballot.  And I've already said who I'm voting for and I don't see that changing (though if Swalwell was on my ballot, this may stop me from voting straight Dem ticket).

My question is is this a good strategy right now?  Does this rally the base more or less than it turns off conservative independents?  Especially without a mass shooting recently in the media.

Personally, I read “assault weapon” and would lean to thinking no one needs weapons which in essence were designed for the battlefield to protect their home. Some suburban folks concerned about school shootings might align with this.

But some may see “assault weapon” and be aware of a politician who wanted to use the phrase to ban a whole class of weapons that a homeowner might reasonably want, and society may accept.

And some may just see “weapons ban” and think it’s about all classes of weapons. And that would not play well with many of the middle.

Given the lack of nuance in how any topic is discussed and understood by Joe and Josephine Public, as a politician I would commit to a “bipartisan commission to study how to stop school shootings” rather than declare the answer is  the undefined “assault weapons” which is only part of the picture.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Personally, I read “assault weapon” and would lean to thinking no one needs weapons which in essence were designed for the battlefield to protect their home. Some suburban folks concerned about school shootings might align with this.

But some may see “assault weapon” and be aware of a politician who wanted to use the phrase to ban a whole class of weapons that a homeowner might reasonably want, and society may accept.

And some may just see “weapons ban” and think it’s about all classes of weapons. And that would not play well with many of the middle.

Given the lack of nuance in how any topic is discussed and understood by Joe and Josephine Public, as a politician I would commit to a “bipartisan commission to study how to stop school shootings” rather than declare the answer is  the undefined “assault weapons” which is only part of the picture.

Well, for like 20 years or so, the phrase "assault weapons ban" has been a phrase for "banning semi-auto versions of military weapons, or similar devices". 

Yes, it's an inaccurate phrase. But one that's been common usage for some time. 

Edited by Larry

6 minutes ago, Larry said:

Yes, it's an inaccurate phrase. But one that's been common usage for some time. 

Common usage by whom? To a significant portion of the political class "fixing our broken healthcare system" apparently  means denying coverage to many.

42 minutes ago, Larry said:

Well, for like 20 years or so, the phrase "assault weapons ban" has been a phrase for "banning semi-auto versions of military weapons, or similar devices". 

What the definition means has been debated several times in here.  Whether the definition of assault weapons was appropriate when the ban was signed is debatable.  

I got no interest in having that debate again.  I don't think there is anything new to be said and don't think anyone is changing their minds at this point.

I was more asking if now is a good time to bring it up and if helps or hurts the numbers when ballots are counted.

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Understood. 

And I suspect it's impossible to be sure. 

Like many things in the social sciences, impossible to isolate a single variable. 

I mean what can you ever really be “sure” about?  99% of what we do here is just pontificating the outcomes or means of one thing or another.  Never stopped you before.  :cheers:

5 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I was more asking if now is a good time to bring it up and if helps or hurts the numbers when ballots are counted.

my opinion on the gun debate still holds. 

it’s easy to get consensus on “something should be done”, but whenever someone speaks to details support drops quick. It also usually drops more the further away from an incident you get. 

My objective is that trump lose the election. 

so, I would say now is a bad time to bring up this topic. Purely from a strategic standpoint of winning the election. 

(ps- I personally wish they would do something and it wouldn’t change my vote at this point unless it was a big ban I didn’t agree with)

• Like 1

Tourist brought AR-15 rifle, handgun to Disney World over worries about Orlando protests

A South Florida man brought an AR-15 rifle and 9mm handgun with him on his Disney World vacation because he was worried about his family’s safety during the social justice protests in Central Florida last month, according to the Orange County Sheriff’s Office.

The 43-year-old Palm Beach Gardens man checked into the Polynesian Village Resort with his guns in a tennis bag on Saturday of the Labor Day holiday weekend, according to a newly released sheriff’s incident report.

In addition to the guns, the man brought three rifle magazines with 90 total rounds and two 9mm magazines with 20 rounds total.

The sheriff’s office checked his concealed weapon permit. “We then gave [the man] back his firearms and told him we appreciated his cooperation,” the incident report said.

“No arrests were made because no laws were broken,” the sheriff’s office said Tuesday when reached for comment.

Disney Security held onto his handgun in the hotel’s safe, and the larger rifle was stored at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge.

The man did not return a voicemail left on his cell phone for comment.

Disney World policy bans visitors from bringing weapons on its property.

20-year-old killed while allegedly attempting to rob group of people

One person was killed while allegedly attempting to rob a group of six people Monday night, police say.

Police say the shooting happened around 11:10 p.m. on Oct. 19 in the 900 block of W McKinley Street.

Investigators believe Marcus Hayes, Jr., 20, was committing an armed robbery when one of the six victims armed himself before shooting Hayes.

Police say Hayes died at the scene.

• 2 weeks later...