Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

Just now, bearrock said:

Maybe we should rethink that tax cut?

we should rethink many things, some more pertinent than others.

many of my schools have uniformed armed security and well trained ones.....among other things

Hey, I’ve got a great idea. We do arm and train our teachers. We also install metal detectors in every school and hire additional expert security. How do we pay for this you ask? With a new tax... on guns. Tax the **** out of them. Like, you wanna buy a pellet gun? That’ll be $6000.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Hey, I’ve got a great idea. We do arm and train our teachers. We also install metal detectors in every school and hire additional expert security. How do we pay for this you ask? With a new tax... on guns. Tax the **** out of them. Like, you wanna buy a pellet gun? That’ll be $6000.

we could tax pot heavily :) the way some of ta'll toke we might pay off the national debt

34 minutes ago, twa said:

W/o a threat to the cop he should forcefully repeat himself, which is what standard protocol is.

If the gun is not lowered /dropped immediately t

hey will likely shoot.

That is a risk you take taking up a gun, though in real life the teacher would likely claim to be staff and have id visible and not lower their gun(and there are other markers commonly in use we don't go into)

The student would be dead from the cop unless they are incompetent, rendering no extra gun

Are you now changing your situation to the cop not being there and the teacher getting shot by the student?

Certainly a risk, but most come well armed already.

You keep worrying about the NRA or gun profits if ya wish, I got better things to do.

Where did I say just two armed teachers/staff?(though two are better than none)

Glad we at least agree two is insufficient or at least not optimal.

Wow, that’s amazing you have reduced a scene of chaos to a nice clean situation where everything works out to support your agenda...but there’s still that innocent kid who got shot by the police.

But you want to pretend that didn’t happen.

Your agenda is a fool’s agenda.

Oh and if you’re unconcerned with the NRA’s agenda of pushing more guns sales and pushing this “arm the teacher” myth that YOU have taken up then you are foolish.

Motive is EVERYTHING

35 minutes ago, youngestson said:

This ^^^^

I don't want teachers having guns.

At all!  And I'm a teacher.   

I don't think people appreciate how much training and practice using a handgun for protection requires. And that's just for personal carry. Imagine you're a teacher (or SRO for that matter) trying to hit a target, likely many yards away while panicked people run in every direction. On top of that have the first responders getting there as four or five people who are firing off rounds. Who do they focus on? Who do they go after? How can they identify who's the shooter and who is the History Teacher? 

Exactly!!!

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

Just now, AsburySkinsFan said:

Wow, that’s amazing you have reduced a scene of chaos to a nice clean situation where everything works out to support your agenda...but there’s still that innocent kid who got shot by the police.

But you want to pretend that didn’t happen.

Your agenda is a fool’s agenda.

Oh and if you’re unconcerned with the NRA’s agenda of pushing more guns sales and pushing this “arm the teacher” myth that YOU have taken up then you are foolish.

Motive is EVERYTHING

Exactly!!!

The kid that was shot by the cops and no armed staff/teachers in your press story?

What exactly would you suggest there that you can pass?

and WTF does it have to do with anything I've said?

Certainly not that a shooter in school is gonna be nice and neat.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, twa said:

we could tax pot heavily :) the way some of ta'll toke we might pay off the national debt

How about a compromise? We'll give all the teachers weed. I might unretire.

Unfortunately, I live in a crazy ass state. We don't have legalized marijuana here.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

You tell me, if the teacher is on left pulls the trigger what will be the reaction from the police?

So the police kill the person who stopped the shooting and spared 10, 15, 20 children?

That's be a nice problem to have.

Am I the only one that gets physically ill every time the plight of the impoverished neighborhoods in Chicago are exploited by people who wouldn't bat an eye if the entire south side was wiped out with a drone for their propaganda? Goebbels is in hell somewhere saying "wow that's pretty ballsy"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, twa said:

Do you think it would pass?

I can guarantee the handgun portion will have extreme opposition.

No, not yet. Give it another 10-20 years of old farts dying off and newer generations of voters coming of age in constant fear of school shootings, and yeah it could probably pass then. 

1 hour ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Gun tax just like a gasoline tax or any other Federal tax. And if Congress won't do it, go local, county, state. 

• Like 1

Just now, skinsfan_1215 said:

No, not yet. Give it another 10-20 years of old farts dying off and newer generations of voters coming of age in constant fear of school shootings, and yeah it could probably pass then. 

Maybe so, problem is folk keep getting older.

Just now, LadySkinsFan said:

Gun tax just like a gasoline tax or any other Federal tax. And if Congress won't do it, go local, county, state. 

you certainly can if you can pass it AND write it so it is not a undue burden on a right.

ya know ,the rules ya'll use.

1 hour ago, twa said:

Pot and AR15s have the potential to cause about the same amount of harm and are of equal consequence to the safety of kids in school. Heck let's dock teacher's pay to install land mines around the school. Land mines don't kill people, kids that don't know where the land mine is kill people. 

1 hour ago, youngestson said:

This ^^^^

I don't want teachers having guns.

At all!  And I'm a teacher.   

I don't think people appreciate how much training and practice using a handgun for protection requires. And that's just for personal carry. Imagine you're a teacher (or SRO for that matter) trying to hit a target, likely many yards away while panicked people run in every direction. On top of that have the first responders getting there as four or five people who are firing off rounds. Who do they focus on? Who do they go after? How can they identify who's the shooter and who is the History Teacher? 

That's asinine enough, but police units that handle active shooters go through a smidge more training than your average concealed carry class. Math teacher action movie fantasies will most likely end up with more slaughtered children. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, AsburySkinsFan said:

So sacrifice your heroes.

Interesting, ya’ll just offer everyone up to the god of gunz

Possible solution....crossbows and flashbangs.

unless you think shooters will switch to crossbows just to blend in, ya seem to think handguns would be more prevalent obviously. (which I suppose is a improvement over OMG assault rifles)

another solution is a distinctive handgun for the teachers /staff(not that we don't have better ones)

• Haha 1

Just now, Berggy9598 said:

That's asinine enough, but police units that handle active shooters go through a smidge more training than your average concealed carry class. Math teacher action movie fantasies will most likely end up with more slaughtered children. 

Oh we are waiting for tactical units to respond now?

tick tock.....how many more minutes?

20 minutes ago, twa said:

When the deterrent effect of teachers with guns don't work (how much of a deterrent is it supposed to be to someone who plans on mass carnage followed by a suicide at the scene?), what is a realistic expectation for a teacher armed with a handgun against a shooter armed with a semi auto rifle and protected by a bullet proof vest?

Even if we secure the building, the next shooter will probably just follow the blueprints of the Vegas shooter.  Sometimes good guys with guns may help.  But lets not pretend that there aren't instances when it won't mean a damn thing.

33 minutes ago, twa said:

Maybe they're training to be navy seals by playing paintball. Unless of course the next Nikolas Cruz waltzes up to a classroom, knocks on the door, asks may he please speak with the teacher and says I'm coming through that door in exactly 30 seconds and I won't begin firing until you, kind teacher, tell me you're ready. Shooter is taken down, Dwayne Johnson says something clever, yet heart warming, and roll credits!

Just now, bearrock said:

When the deterrent effect of teachers with guns don't work (how much of a deterrent is it supposed to be to someone who plans on mass carnage followed by a suicide at the scene?), what is a realistic expectation for a teacher armed with a handgun against a shooter armed with a semi auto rifle and protected by a bullet proof vest?

Even if we secure the building, the next shooter will probably just follow the blueprints of the Vegas shooter.  Sometimes good guys with guns may help.  But lets not pretend that there aren't instances when it won't mean a damn thing.

More of a deterrent than their flesh

a handgun matches up well against a AR in close quarters, I prefer it

Wear a vest and let me fire a couple into it and get back to me :) i'll even use a 9mm to be kind

The next one very well could, but it is much harder to both execute and escape detection.