Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

the VA general assembly will consider a few things related to gun control. among them:

- Universal reciprocity. Where the state will recognize any other state's concealed permits, regardless of the requirements of that state to obtain a concealed permit

- Allowing concealed carry without even requiring a permit. Thew new standard would be: If you're legally allowed to own a gun, then you could carry a concealed handgun.

(important distinction - it's a concealed handgun. in VA you get a concealed handgun permit, not a "concealed weapon permit", the wording is deliberately chosen and for obvious reasons)

I believe there are other items they are considering.

My opinion: I hate both of those ideas. I liked the law the way it was, but this AG had to push pro gun-control agenda through the way he did so now we have to deal with this.

edit:

WP article - https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/va-lawmakers-mcauliffe-poised-for-fight-and-compromise-this-session/2016/01/09/7308c53a-b59c-11e5-a76a-0b5145e8679a_story.html

Yeah, let's not revoke permits for people who carry guns while drunk or high. :huh:

Edited by tshile

An Anti-Obama Activist Fatally Shoots His Co-Organizer During A Drunken Argument Over Guns

A co-organizer of a right-wing march to “restore America” fatally shot his organizing partner and friend during a drunken dispute over a gun.

Raw Story reports that Paul Revere 2016 Final March To Restore America founder Vincent Smith shot Charles Carter in the head with a “spare gun,” after Carter pulled Smith’s main gun from his holster. U.S. Marshals ruled the incident as an act of self-defense. This information was provided by Bill Williamson, another right-wing associate, who tried to organize a 2 Million Bikers 2 DC rally at some point.

(FYI: These people are associated with the armed militia members who took over an Oregon wildlife refuge last week.)

The Paul Revere 2016 Final March To Restore America was designed to remove President Barack Obama and other politicians from office before the November elections. The march was to start on the West Coast and then continue to gather supporters who would eventually descend on Washington D.C. Another organizer resigned before this tragic incident took place.

The fatal shooting happened in Texas, which prohibits people from carrying guns while intoxicated. A right-wing colleague who knew both Smith and Carter said that the latter had violated one of the most important rules of firearm safety by mixing guns and booze.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-more-than-100-people-have-been-shot-in-chicago-so-far-this-year-20160111-story.html

Seven people were shot to death and 30 more were wounded across Chicago over the weekend, raising the number of shootings in the city to more than 100 in just over a week into the new year, according to police.

Hmm....

• 1 month later...

Many more mass shootings since the last bump and apparently a bunch of people got shot and killed in Kansas today or something. Whatever.

Four dead, including the gunman. 14 others wounded. Some in critical condition. Shot up his place of employment.

Just curious, but what exactly are the current proposed solutions to this seemingly neverending murder spree? I'm not asking for a debate on the merits of the proposals, just what the hell they are right now. Anyone got a quick list?

Or is this just the accepted way of life from here on out?

Edited by BornaSkinsFan83

Four dead, including the gunman. 14 others wounded. Some in critical condition. Shot up his place of employment.

Just curious, but what exactly are the current proposed solutions to this seemingly neverending murder spree? I'm not asking for a debate on the merits of the proposals, just what the hell they are right now. Anyone got a quick list?

Or is this just the accepted way of life from here on out?

It pretty much comes down to restricting gun rights vs. doing something about mental health.  There is a lot more detail and levels to it but that is the two general sides.  But like pretty much every single issue facing America today, the two sides are so far apart and have their heels dug in so deep that common sense, middle ground solutions can't be reached.  So the average citizen is left with having to learn how to duck and cover.

Except that the "do something about mental health" side doesn't want to do anything about mental health. No increases in funding, no expansion of availability or accessibilty, no changes to diagnosis. No additional resources to train more in the field.

They want to leave mental health out there as an excuse so they can continue to blame it while letting the deaths mount.

• Like 1

Many more mass shootings since the last bump and apparently a bunch of people got shot and killed in Kansas today or something. Whatever.

Yep. Why should we care?

We didn't care when demented high schoolers used legally purchased weapons to massacre their classmates.

We didn't care when a demented college student used legally purchased weapons to massacre dozens of other college students.

We didn't care when a demented teenager used a legally purchased weapon to massacre dozens of elementary school students.

We didn't even care when wannabe Islamic extremists used legally purchased weapons to massacre a dozen or so people a few months ago.

So why the hell do you expect us to care about these guys in Kansas.

The fact of the matter is that if God didn't want universal gun ownership, he wouldn't have written the 2nd amendment. And as it clearly states, the path to heaven is through repentance and obtaining a CCL.

• Like 1

Except that the "do something about mental health" side doesn't want to do anything about mental health. No increases in funding, no expansion of availability or accessibilty, no changes to diagnosis. No additional resources to train more in the field.

They want to leave mental health out there as an excuse so they can continue to blame it while letting the deaths mount.

Disagree.

Frankly, we will probably never have a mental health system which will have the ability to prevent people from having violent outbursts, in advance of them having them.

You're right that it's simply a diversion. But it's a diversion which we all know will never be achieved.

It's pretty much identical to the folks insisting that we must not do a thing about illegal immigrants until there is no illegal immigration.

I keep waiting for some movie set in a dystopian future includes a line about "another mass shooting by a disgruntled postal customer".

I mean, I'm seriously that we haven't had multiple cases of people standing in that place just pulling out a gun and going wild. 

Well I stayed out of the "merits" of each side like poster I was responding to asked.  And I see we have fallen back to the same ole "piss and moan about the other sides stance and not put forward a solution that both sides might actually agree on" stance.  Now cue the "well the gun lobby won't let any changes be made" and the "the other sides stance is stupid so why should be negotiate" responses. 

Like I said, this is like every other issue we face today.  Both sides are so dug into their own positions that they won't honestly consider another idea.  Instead they will just mock the other sides position.  They may even throw out some twisted or completely made up "facts" to support their position.