Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2015 #Redskins verses Rams (Final)

JimmiJo

I dunno man...today Almo didn't really have it outside of that one breakout. Seemed to get knocked backwards, when Jones was always going forward.

No need for explanation....ya just go with what worked most recently yeah?

That's my point man, Morris, aside from the first few series only came in sparingly and often obvious running situations i.e. The end of the game when we are running out the clock. I can only remember a handful of carries all day where Morris wasn't being hit in the backfield. Jones had carries like that too but stayed on the field enough to get opportunities on well blocked plays as well.

Like I said I'm loving what I see from jones. But Morris was destroying people early and often today then we literally BENCHED him after Jones' TD run. Morris was averaging over 5 ypc before his 35 yard run. I'm just questioning a little bit the decision to basically name jones the mid game starter over Morris.

That's my point man, Morris, aside from the first few series only came in sparingly and often obvious running situations i.e. The end of the game when we are running out the clock. I can only remember a handful of carries all day where Morris wasn't being hit in the backfield. Jones had carries like that too but stayed on the field enough to get opportunities on well blocked plays as well.

Like I said I'm loving what I see from jones. But Morris was destroying people early and often today then we literally BENCHED him after Jones' TD run. Morris was averaging over 5 ypc before his 35 yard run. I'm just questioning a little bit the decision to basically name jones the mid game starter over Morris.

Im thinking it was more matchup with Jones ability to catch a pass. Kept the LBs hesitating.

I'm throwing this out there now. We're the best team in the division. We should be 2-0 and I'm buying in. If we smoke the Giants than its on. This team is going to run all over everybody.

I'm feeling that optimism too. Not necessarily because we look great. But we look solid and the rest of the division looks really bad.

I think we're going to beat the Giants. We imposed our style of play against two of the best defenses in the NFL, far better defenses than New York's. I think we've got a great chance to do the same against the Giants as long as we continue to play clean and avoid big mistakes.

But we're still a young, inexperienced team. It wouldn't shock me if we lay an egg on Thursday.

Man the Skins came out and handled their business this week! Very proud of everyone involved. You gotta learn to win in this league and this was a step forward. The nitpickers about Jay, Morris/Jones, the play calling, kirk/rg, and on and on and on are tiresome. Enjoy the win, lets reload and get ready for Thursday.

HTTR one game at a time, Chop Wood.

I'm feeling that optimism too. Not necessarily because we look great. But we look solid and the rest of the division looks really bad.

I think we're going to beat the Giants. We imposed our style of play against two of the best defenses in the NFL, far better defenses than New York's. I think we've got a great chance to do the same against the Giants as long as we continue to play clean and avoid big mistakes.

But we're still a young, inexperienced team. It wouldn't shock me if we lay an egg on Thursday.

I think we've just looked the best of anybody in the division. We should've beat Miami but due to stupid mistakes we didn't. Maybe we come out and lay an egg against the Giants but Jones and Morris are just too much for defenses to handle. That OL is really, really good. I'm so impressed with Scherff and Moses.

I think this is what the offense will look like this year. It appears they're scared of Kirk making mistakes so they're limiting his opportunities to do so. This will give him time to adjust and I feel as the season goes on they will put more and more on his plate. I like this approach although I'd like to see a bit more deep shots.

In fairness to the group of WRs, we didn't seem to have much of an down-field attack today.

By design, this time. :)

The plan seemed to be run, run, run, run, with the occasional pass on 3rd down, which is usually to the TE.

Which is Reed. :)

I don't get the sense that they're "scared" to put it in Kirk's hands. To me, the team has a plan, and they're sticking to it. That's what I'm so excited about right now, and felt that after the Miami game.

All offseason they told us, from Scot to Jay down to the players, that they were going to do everything possible to not make it about the QB. That they were going to focus on the running game, the defense and Special Teams. Every single personnel move was consistent with this approach. The play-calling has been consistent with this approach.

The team has recognized what they've got at QB, and don't want it to be put on them. This is what you call smart, not scared.

I'm convinced that, as the season progresses, more will be put on Kirk's plate. But they aren't going to burden him.    

All this may be true about Kirk, but Jay indicated in his presser after the game that more downfield shots will come.  He said they limited their deep shots because of the pass rushers week 1 and 2.  I think it does protect the QB, but the idea IMO, is to keep the young O'line out of 7 step drops and long developing plays while they grow into their positions.

For me the order of importance has been this:

1.  Protecting O'line.

2.  Facing great pass rush teams.

3.  Keeping Kirk on a leash so he doesn't throw picks.

All this may be true about Kirk, but Jay indicated in his presser after the game that more downfield shots will come.  He said they limited their deep shots because of the pass rushers week 1 and 2.  I think it does protect the QB, but the idea IMO, is to keep the young O'line out of 7 step drops and long developing plays while they grow into their positions.

1.  Protecting O'line.

2.  Facing great pass rush teams.

3.  Keeping Kirk on a leash so he doesn't throw picks.

Not to mention, no DeSean

No. If we're going to deal him away than you do so outside of the division. If he regains his 2012 form inside the division than we will be the biggest morons of all time. Deal him to the Texans if you plan on trading him.

What if go to the Eagles during free agency..still look like morons..best to get something for him

I think this is what the offense will look like this year. It appears they're scared of Kirk making mistakes so they're limiting his opportunities to do so. This will give him time to adjust and I feel as the season goes on they will put more and more on his plate. I like this approach although I'd like to see a bit more deep shots.

Per that:

If I knew for sure it's been part of a deliberate plan to not let either the score or even the outcome of these early games intrude on properly developing Kirk's confidence and abilities by building slowly and steadily (and not go more into the intermediate and deep pass game in at least these 1st two games, even desean's injury aside), and perhaps the same re: commitment to the run game, I'd support it. It would take real balls on an HC were it to be so, but I'd support it.

I'm feeling that optimism too. Not necessarily because we look great. But we look solid and the rest of the division looks really bad.I think we're going to beat the Giants. We imposed our style of play against two of the best defenses in the NFL, far better defenses than New York's. I think we've got a great chance to do the same against the Giants as long as we continue to play clean and avoid big mistakes.But we're still a young, inexperienced team. It wouldn't shock me if we lay an egg on Thursday.

It is most certainly a good thing that we will have breeland and culliver on the field together for the first time this year. That cannot be overstated with beckham on the field.

I think we've just looked the best of anybody in the division. We should've beat Miami but due to stupid mistakes we didn't. Maybe we come out and lay an egg against the Giants but Jones and Morris are just too much for defenses to handle. That OL is really, really good. I'm so impressed with Scherff and Moses.

Agreed, we have looked the best. Our running game is unbelievably good and our defense looks like they could be top third in the league.

From what I've seen of the traditional good teams like Denver, New England, and Pittsburgh though, I don't see the same level of confidence and execution out of our guys. There is a noticeable gap between us and them, even though we've played well so far. We're pretty young and inexperienced and don't have much in the way of continuity like them. I could see mistakes dogging us throughout the year.

The Giants have a quality passing game. That'll be a good test for our defense and give us a better sense of where we are this season.

Oh my God, this Cowboys-Eagles game is a farce. They are horrible.

Was hoping the Eagles would win so it would keep us tied for the top. But once romo went down I immediately started hoping the Cowboys would pull it out because I don't see them as nearly the threat without romo for the rest of the year (obviously). The records in the division are ideal right now given what they were coming into today.....excellent.

The thing I'm most concerned about is a game like this tends to get us all way too excited because it's so rare then we expect it every week. When it doesn't happen we all want to see the world burn. Here's to hoping we just pound the Giants into the ground again next week to the tune of another 150+ on the ground and 35+ minutes time of possession.

Great TEAM win.  Lets carry it on to Thursday game.

P.S. romoSUCKS is out and the first thing mentioned is a trade RGIII to Dallas.  Why would we trade RGIII to Dallas and why would we even think of trading RGIII?  How many Vet. QBs are out there that we be around in the next 3 to 5 years.  How many young QBs are starting? What I know is we have TWO productive QBs.  Why trade!  We are building.  HTTR.  

All this may be true about Kirk, but Jay indicated in his presser after the game that more downfield shots will come. He said they limited their deep shots because of the pass rushers week 1 and 2. I think it does protect the QB, but the idea IMO, is to keep the young O'line out of 7 step drops and long developing plays while they grow into their positions.

1. Protecting O'line.

2. Facing great pass rush teams.

3. Keeping Kirk on a leash so he doesn't throw picks.

I can agree with that, but I think it simply fits into the overall direction the team wants to go.

This happens to also be the best way to build up and develop a young or inexperienced QB, so it's really just... correct in all facets.

Kirk can grow into his role and continue to gain confidence in the team and his own abilities. These two games have shown he doesn't have to force things. It's only going to help him and the hope is that, eventually, he gets so good at "taking what's there", the game and pressure situations that arise become "easy".

That's when you start really getting aggressive. Oline can be put in tougher situations because they can also lean on Kirk to do the right thing. Defense can start sending more and playing more man knowing the offense will score.

It's an all-encompassing strategy and, if things continue to go as planned, this team is going to be very good faster than we think.

But it's a sensitive situation. You don't want to push too hard right now, where anyone buckles under the pressure of an intense individual focus, and allow questions to linger about anyone's ability. Keep it on everyone to contribute as equally as possible. Even if it's at the expense of some losses early on.

The stars will emerge.

Like I said last week... stick to the plan, Jay.

Archived