Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Silas Redd cut vs Injured Reserve?

MCnDaHouse

Anyone else find it interesting that Silas Redd got cut instead of being placed on IR like the 2 TEs? I thought that was really odd. I'm guessing that he wasn't likely to make the team?

He has less than 4 years of NFL experience. Thus he can't be outright IR'd, he has to be cut and then if passing through waivers will then be put on IR

I really didn't think he was going to make the team, unless he showed them a lot of ST. Matt Jones is the same type of runner, and was having a better camp. and Thompson is involved on ST, while also being a different type of runner. I was fully expecting Redd to be a cut at some point. 

Yeah the Colts were D-Bags when they claimed the Arkansas DB. Apparently it's NFL etiquette to not claim a player who suffered a season ending injury.

Yeah, I remember the Pats doing the same with Jake Ballard from the Giants in 2012. I remember them getting in a bit of hot water for it being a cheap move.

Colts stole a draft pick from us. Assholes.

Redd should make IR, but I think he was to be cut.

I find it almost impossible to believe that they really wanted to keep him but somehow bringing in a 92nd player for the roster was more important.

I would hope Scott mc is smarter than that.

I really believe he didn't show enough potential for them to be concerned about whether he'd make it past waivers, at least I pray that's the case otherwise we're not as set in the front office as we hoped we are.

Eh, nice player, but the definition of replaceable. There's 100 Silas Redd's out there. Those kinda guys bounce around for a few years at the backup level and bounce out. In a another year or two, that'll be Evan Royster. It was Keiland Williams before that.

To be cold, this might be a good thing for Redd. I like him as a person and player, but I'm not sure he would have made the cut. I also am skeptical he would have been picked up elsewhere. If he's eventually IRed by the 'skins then he gets another year of NFL salary. Hopefully, he makes a comeback regardless.

Eh, nice player, but the definition of replaceable. There's 100 Silas Redd's out there. Those kinda guys bounce around for a few years at the backup level and bounce out. In a another year or two, that'll be Evan Royster. It was Keiland Williams before that.

Only problem with your thinking is, we never seem to develop talent. He'd be eligible for the practice squad this year. That's valuable experience. Plus, the good teams have a starters replacement ready to play in case of injury, age or expense. Some players are disposable, but I don't think Redd was one of them.

Only problem with your thinking is, we never seem to develop talent. He'd be eligible for the practice squad this year. That's valuable experience. Plus, the good teams have a starters replacement ready to play in case of injury, age or expense. Some players are disposable, but I don't think Redd was one of them.

They can find a new Silas Redd. They're a dime a dozen. And they drafted a starter's replacement in Jones.

And if he's out for the year rehabbing, he's missing all that valuable experience.

Yeah the Colts were D-Bags when they claimed the Arkansas DB. Apparently it's NFL etiquette to not claim a player who suffered a season ending injury.

The Colts are D-bags, period.  That's a franchise that has cheated and screwed over people left and right for years and gotten away with it 100%.

As for Redd, it's an unfortunate circumstance: the injury and the cut.  The team has to do what it has to do though.

They can find a new Silas Redd. They're a dime a dozen. And they drafted a starter's replacement in Jones.

And if he's out for the year rehabbing, he's missing all that valuable experience.

Yeah, I'm not saying Silas Redd is the next Adrian Peterson, but as we've seen with our TE position, things can change in a "hurry."   I didn't think Silas would make the 53 with Jones and Thompson emerging this year, but I was hopeful that he may be put on the Practice Squad.  Now, with the injury he'll get plenty of classroom time if he clears waivers and we put him on IR.

As far as the Dime a Dozen comment, I've been hesitant to use those kinds of phrases because, well, we said the same thing about kickers and look how long it's taken to find a decent one. I'm still not sold on Kai and his short kickoffs. Love his accuracy, but I keep waiting for him to boom it to at least the endzone and not the 5.

you're exactly right. If he hits the PS or IR, we have him next year. If Jones looks like a starter this season, Morris might walk and then we have our BU with experience.

Yeah, I'm not saying Silas Redd is the next Adrian Peterson, but as we've seen with our TE position, things can change in a "hurry." I didn't think Silas would make the 53 with Jones and Thompson emerging this year, but I was hopeful that he may be put on the Practice Squad. Now, with the injury he'll get plenty of classroom time if he clears waivers and we put him on IR.

As far as the Dime a Dozen comment, I've been hesitant to use those kinds of phrases because, well, we said the same thing about kickers and look how long it's taken to find a decent one. I'm still not sold on Kai and his short kickoffs. Love his accuracy, but I keep waiting for him to boom it to at least the endzone and not the 5.

I hear you about kickers, but I still say they should've dumped the Kai as kickoff guy and just handed those duties to Tress Way. Don't know why they're forcing it with Kai. Way looked like a guy that hadn't done it much last year, but an offseason and camp working on it would've helped. He at least has the leg on kickoffs to get it into the endzone on a regular basis.

Archived