Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS SIGN LB JUNIOR GALETTE

TK

No, that's fine with me if it's worth the price. I don't really have a concept for how many snaps a typical starting OLB plays. If 3 very good players rotating between 2 positions is the norm, I'm fine with that.

Add to that Scot doesn't have to trade players to get picks. He's shown he can add picks without crippling the roster.

wasnt his initial deal a 1 year prove it type deal? well he didnt prove anything so why would we sign him long term? he must be crazy to thing we are ready to lock him up long term. another prove it deal should be all he gets.

No. He was on the last year of his deal with New Orleans. We took over the contract, but NO was on the hook for the bonuses.

The cap isn't going to be a problem and the Skins have money to use to fill other holes.  Between the draft and FA, I'm sure SMGM will do just that. Besides, you can never have enough guys that get to the QB. 

The cap is always an issue.

And I don't disagree, but I think it makes more sense to spend the money on a guy you know that can get to the QB from an inside position.

(Though, I also think flexibility is important and actually if they want to spend more money on OLB, I'd actually see them try and pick up a guy that is better in coverage even if he gives up some as rusher.)

The cap isn't going to be a problem and the Skins have money to use to fill other holes. Between the draft and FA, I'm sure SMGM will do just that. Besides, you can never have enough guys that get to the QB.

Absolutely. If there's one thing the team should have learned was depth is not an option. I can't keep track of the number of players, on the defense, who got hurt, missing significant playing time.

Per http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/junior-galette/

Junior Galette signed a 1 year, $745,000 contract with the Washington Redskins, including an average annual salary of $745,000.

Stand corrected. I forgot it wasn't a trade, so his guaranteed money from NO went away and they only owed the bonus. Somehow we inherited the right of first refusal though.

I think yoiu were thinking of Golsten we got off the bucs and the Bucs paid most of the bonuses etc - made him cheep to take a risk on. 

Galette i think had a real heart to heart with SM and feels like he fits in. I dont think work ethic is an issue (former UDFA tend to work and work and work) and we only see teams when they take to the field all the other stuff that goes on in TC, Redskins Park etc we hear and see nothing (especially now) 

The idea of trading Kerrigan is a duuuuh idea that only pans out on message boards. We would need to find a team that wants him, that he would be happy to work out a deal with and we would i guess have to eat a huge chunk of his recent contract to sweeten the deal . QBs aside when was there ever a trade that looked to be a good deal for both teams when it comes to trading players for picks in the last 3-5 years. If KErrigan was a malcontent and really wanted out then sure ship him out to the browns for a ham sandwitch but otherwise why do redskins fans view having viable depth at any position as a very bad thing ...

Having 3 talented pass rushers and whatever you'd call Trent Murphy is in no means a bad thing or "crippling" the team from signing players at other spots of weakness.

You really can't have too many good pass rushers and a smart DC will find a way to rotate them and get the best of them until likely injuries take 1 or 2 of them out for extended periods of time.

And BTW, expecting good to great production from a player with his history (saints/injury) is expecting a lot.

This injury scares the hell out of me.  It's arguably worse than a torn ACL.  Players like DHall don't rely as much on their explosion anymore (especially now that he made the switch to safety), so the impact of a torn Achilles isn't as bad as it could be.  With Galette's position though, and how much people raved about his explosiveness being his defining trait, I have no idea what to expect from him going into next season.  I really hope we don't do any expensive long-term deals until he shows what he can do through at least the halfway point of next season.

I think we re-sign him. Kerrigan had a so-so year due to injuries. Smith was inconsistent(albeit good) and his obvious strength is pass rush. Murphy is below average pass rush but consistently good run defense. I think it's a strength to have this depth. If the coaches feel they are obvious rushing plays, Murphy and Kerrigan can be out there. If obvious pass, you can have gallete, Kerrigan and smith to play with. Or any combo in between while also giving them rest and making them more effective later in the game

I hope we get him

This sort of got picked up in the 5 tech thread, but assuming Galette is healthy, there are bigger issues on this team than another starting quality pass rushing OLB.  Galette made sense in the context of Smith was a rookie, and you weren't sure how good is was going to be, but I think Smith showed enough this year that he deserves more snaps at OLB- not fewer where you are rotating him with Galette.

Take the money you'd spend on Galette and sign somebody that can get some pressure from the DL (unless Galette is going to give you a significant discount).

Why would he want a significant discount?   To bring this home in the NFL having elite pass rushers that can get to the QB is paramount.  In other words, you can't have too many of them.

Hail Em Up!

I think one thing that may be in Gallette's favor is that he had a reputation of being a loudmouth and a troublemaker on and off the field. A season on IR gives a guy a lot of opportunities to blow off steam and get in trouble. As near as I can tell, he hasn't... at least I haven't read any stories of him getting in brawls or going nuts at some club at 3 in the morning or driving while intoxicated.

So, maybe that rep was overstated or maybe he's growing up/realized he needs to get his act together to keep his dream alive.

Wasn't he a team captain for the Saints?

Heard he was a trouble maker with the team, bad mouthing the coach, unhappy in the locker room and that was part of the reason for his surprise cut. Then, there was the upcoming suspension too.

I might be wrong, but that's what I seem to remember.

This sort of got picked up in the 5 tech thread, but assuming Galette is healthy, there are bigger issues on this team than another starting quality pass rushing OLB.  Galette made sense in the context of Smith was a rookie, and you weren't sure how good is was going to be, but I think Smith showed enough this year that he deserves more snaps at OLB- not fewer where you are rotating him with Galette.

Take the money you'd spend on Galette and sign somebody that can get some pressure from the DL (unless Galette is going to give you a significant discount).

There is an ancient Chinese saying, "you can never have too many good edge rushers."

It, like RB and DB, is a position where you want to cultivate a stable of quality players. Short of having a couple of HoFers playing every snap for you, it's the surest bet to creating a consistent pass rush over the course of a game.

DTs that can be as impactful a pass rusher as a pure edge rusher like Galette are rare too. Most DTs are just push-pull or straight line bull rushers that aren't going to get home unless there is a total breakdown at the LoS for the offense. You can find those kinds of players in the middle rounds of the draft. Doubles are a lot easier to scheme (and execute) for interior rushers too, and there are maybe five DTs in the NFL that are a real threat to beat a double that are also stout enough to play on run downs.

Besides, our pass rushers are versatile. The old SB Giants teams demonstrated that the creative packaging of primary edge defenders can be the foundation of a dominant pass rush. Both Kerrigan and Preston Smith can play on the DL. On passing sub packages Preston Smith can even line up as a three technique.

If Galette wants to return, then I'd definitely be interested in keeping him. But I'd hold the line on a short term deal. Achilles injuries are no joke and I'd want to make sure he's recovered before I gave him any kind of big contract commitment.

Or start Smith and Galette...flip Kerrigan for value. I know people will hate that option, but I'm not really kidding. Kerrigan is very solid and a good player, but he's not dynamic. You can't pay all 3 guys since only 2 play at the same time.

Or....you can because Preston Smith is on a rookie deal for pennies. If you deem galette a player you want then there is no harm in signing him to a two or three year deal. You'll get good or close to actual value on a likely cheaper and incentive type deal based on injury and history because it's still a prove it deal. Right around the time you're ready to re up smith if he's earned it you're done with galette. Kerrigan not being dynamic is asinine. Multiple pick 6s, he's a dog in the run game and is one of only a handful or less guys in NFL history to have 8.5 sacks in each of his first four years. Did I mention he's forced the second most fumbles in the league since entering? If your standard of dynamic is JJ Watt you may be in the majority on this board but it doesn't make you right.

Kerrigan is good but he's not great and he doesn't take over games. I went weeks without ever hearing his name this season. I know he contributed in the run defense etc but as our premier pass rusher going against RTs, we need more out of him.

Hopefully Gallette and Preston provide that spark across from him which opens up our pass rush next season

Kerrigan is good but he's not great and he doesn't take over games. I went weeks without ever hearing his name this season. I know he contributed in the run defense etc but as our premier pass rusher going against RTs, we need more out of him.

Hopefully Gallette and Preston provide that spark across from him which opens up our pass rush next season

Don't forget about WIllie Jefferson. For years, even before Cameron Wake, I wondered why the Skins never dipped into the CFL. Well now we have, and Jefferson looks like a damn good pass rusher. If he pans out, and if Galette comes back strong, we may have a dominant pass rush similar to what the Giants had with Tuck, Strahan, Osi, and co.

Don't forget about WIllie Jefferson. For years, even before Cameron Wake, I wondered why the Skins never dipped into the CFL. Well now we have, and Jefferson looks like a damn good pass rusher. If he pans out, and if Galette comes back strong, we may have a dominant pass rush similar to what the Giants had with Tuck, Strahan, Osi, and co.

After being kicked out of Baylor and cut by the Texans for breaking team rules, I hope he learned his lesson and will stay away from ganja.

Archived