Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Defensive Line Calls Itself "Capital Punishment"

SonnyandSam

I find the nickname thing this early to be stupid, BUT, on the other hand, it will be nice to have an entire unit that knows they're talented and will push each other.

The success of the DL will ripple through our entire defense (and due to TOP and field position, the offense as well), so if we are going to surprise this year the only reasonable non-QB cause that I can think of would be a dominant DL living up to its own hype. The entire front-7, really.

First of all, the reactions in this thread are over the top.  They're a group of guys trying to have fun.  They never claimed they were taking us to the Super Bowl.  The fact that they are acting like this at all gives me hope, because it means they're united in something.  Haven't you and your friends ever come up with a nickname for yourselves?

Second, I agree with an earlier poster: it should be Capitol Punishment.

I like the name and the boldness of it because that shows confidence and a new mindset of the players. They are placing a higher standard of play on themselves. Us fans will say what has been said because we want to see results and not some nickname that may not live up to there performance on the field as previous years has shown us. But if they get motivated by this and it equals into wins then people will buy into it.

Somewhere in my attic I have a SI article highlighting the 91-92 Redskins with the same caption in all caps. I think there is a picture of Wilber Marshall sacking on a blitz leading the article

PS: My last impression is the Cowboys steamrolling our swiss cheese defense.  Show it on the field first.

Didn't the 91' defense call themselves that? Mann, Geathers, Marshall, Coleman, Green...that was a defense.

The 1991 defense called themselves "National Defense".

I thought some of the 80s defenses tried national defense. Never really stuck...

The secondary back in the 1983 defense was nicknamed "The Pearl Harbor Crew", because they were always being bombed on. :)

Archived