Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Soccer thread.

Kilmer17

Joel Campbell out of the good graces just like that?

This spot was made for him.  Counter attacking football late...

There he is.

This is a fantastic game.

a lot riding on it.

Opposite ends of the country and either Brasil or Peru on either end.

How do you call handball there and not give the pen minutes before?

Joel Campbell didn't bring his ****s with him to this match...

CHAMPIONS OF THE GROUP!

Well, we get to play in Seattle... but my guess is after all this... Peru probably wins the group tomorrow lol

Joel Campbell didn't bring his ****s with him to this match...

CHAMPIONS OF THE GROUP!

Well, we get to play in Seattle... but my guess is after all this... Peru probably wins the group tomorrow lol

If Peru wins the group, then Brazil wouldn't even make it because you've got to assume Ecuador beats Haiti.

Brazil would win on goal diff

Really doesn't seem like Colombia thought their plan through

Nah, we even talked about it yesterday... they hadn't scored a goal in the tournament.

But I think there was some National and professional pride going there when you see a team start it's U-21 squad against you.  If that doesn't motivate you and insult then nothing will.

I probably would've done the same thing.  Colombia can beat Brasil.  They don't have Neymar and they don't have a couple of other players.

And Peru is REALLY good too.  They lost to Chile in the semis (who ended up winning the tourney) last year and won the 3rd place match 2-0 over Paraguay

Was impressed last night by Brooks being pretty much everywhere, had a monster game for the boys. I still see that image of him diving in front of Paraguay to stop that goal. Amazing work by him last night. 

It's that defense that's stepped up big time following the 2-0 loss to Colombia. Always in front of their man, always forcing turnovers and stopping opponent opportunities. Everyone was freaking out after game 1 but credit to the US, they remained consistent and confident that they played hard enough to win against Colombia (something you can argue with). They trotted out the exact same lineup for CR and Paraguay and won the group. 

Hoping for them to go further, and pleased the game is on Thursday night. 

Peru is ranked lower than Paraguay,

and they couldnt score with Yedlin taking himself out.

Who is the next Donovan?

Peru has some legit attackers.  They can quickly score in bunches if we're not sorted out.  They also beat Paraguay in the 3rd place game in last year's Copa and really outplayed Chile in the semis but got unlucky giving up a goal.

Yedlin is awful.  He can still learn, but he hasn't shown any indication that he's interested in learning.  If he's going to be all pace he just needs to become a winger and not worry about trying to be a fullback.  But last night was extremely selfish of him and that goes specifically to why Klinsmann won't trust the youngins...

I still think if we change the shape and let Pulisic play as a number 10, we'll be able to feed thru balls to Wood and Zardes and they'll become that much more dangerous.  But it's too late in the tournament to overthink what we're doing.

Was impressed last night by Brooks being pretty much everywhere, had a monster game for the boys. I still see that image of him diving in front of Paraguay to stop that goal. Amazing work by him last night. 

It's that defense that's stepped up big time following the 2-0 loss to Colombia. Always in front of their man, always forcing turnovers and stopping opponent opportunities. Everyone was freaking out after game 1 but credit to the US, they remained consistent and confident that they played hard enough to win against Colombia (something you can argue with). They trotted out the exact same lineup for CR and Paraguay and won the group. 

Hoping for them to go further, and pleased the game is on Thursday night. 

I still don't think they played a bad game against Colombia.  Colombia is just better.

They allowed both goals on a set piece and a PK. 

Those are the only goals that we allowed through 3 games. 

That's pretty impressive and looking back at Colombia yeah we did play decent but not well enough to win. I guess that's why Jurgen and everyone on the team kept emphasizing that, and that's why they put out the same lineup for the next two games. 

While some of his tactical lineups and playing players out of position can be questioned, this has been a solid 3 games for Klinsmann. They lost to a damn good Colombia team, and beat two teams they should have beaten handily. There were no shocking "Guatemala beats the US" / "Jamaica / Panama upsets the US" outcomes, just wins.

One criticism of Klinsmann has been his inconsistency. Planet Futbol pointed out that the US team started off well in friendlies against Germany and the Netherlands, only to falter in the Gold Cup when it mattered the most. To his credit, after similar hype going into this tournament, the USA, suffice it to say, has delivered on said hype.

We'll see what happens in the next stages, I'm sure a loss to a watered-down Brazil will generate immense amounts of seethe and restart the "Fire Klinsmann" wagon. But for now, there's no argument for firing him. He's doing well, and he's won the games he's supposed to win.

Yep.  And Ecuador have a LOT of talent.  At least 3 players in the Premier League off the top of my head with the Valencias and Jefferson Montero.  Montero is going to eat on Orozco with Yedlin's suspension.... Great.

Should've been a penalty to Brasil there.

One criticism of Klinsmann has been his inconsistency. Planet Futbol pointed out that the US team started off well in friendlies against Germany and the Netherlands, only to falter in the Gold Cup when it mattered the most. To his credit, after similar hype going into this tournament, the USA, suffice it to say, has delivered on said hype.

See, and we get too much credit for those friendlies.  Those were the b-teams for each.  And we didn't play well in either save for the last several minutes of each.

Another pen could've been given there.

A point on podcasts today. Today has potential to be huge for USA to advance in knockout stage and finally show the rest of the world they're elite.

The USA has always come close to being elite but never been elite. In fact Jurgen said it himself. We need to stop playing like the underdog. We are the better team. Go out there and Play like it tonight. No excuses.

This team has been the underdog too long. It's time to show the rest of the world we're a damn good team.

Edited by ixcuincle

A point on podcasts today. Today has potential to be huge for USA to advance in knockout stage and finally show the rest of the world they're elite.

The USA has always come close to being elite but never been elite. In fact Jurgen said it himself. We need to stop playing like the underdog. We are the better team. Go out there and Play like it tonight. No excuses.

This team has been the underdog too long. It's time to show the rest of the world we're a damn good team.

Well if we stop finishing 4th in concacaf gold cup and don't get owned by Mexico on our home soil perhaps we could stop being the underdog.

I would dispute that the USA has ever been "close" to elite.

They are the underdog.  As Richmond said, they deserve to be the underdog until they show otherwise.

Sort of like the Redskins getting no respect in the media.  They don't deserve any until they consistently show they are respectable.