Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Soccer thread.

Kilmer17

My quick opinion on the game.

First, don't understand Beckerman at all (and he grew up literally one mile from me). Nice player, just not at this level.

Too much like England in first half with all the long ball, but OK, got the lead.  As predicted by Jurgen, Honduras certainly faded in the late first half and most of second half.

Why, WHY, WHY  is Wondo on this roster at all, much less being put in a game that isn't vs some small Caribbean team?  He showed his worth in last WC vs Begium ==== ZERO.POINT.ZERO.  I dare anyone to find him having 2 good touches in the second half.  He was a complete disaster.

At end of game, don't know why a midfielder was replaced by another midfielder.  Take off Wondo, push Dempesy back into attacking MF, and Zardes up front in an 4-5-1?

• Like 1

That's the style of play you get when you have a target forward (Altidore).  The long ball up and Jozy is supposed to hold it until the midfield catches up.  He's just not good enough to play that style.

We have the speed and talent (finally) to have forwards who make good runs into channels, and for as much **** as I give Bradley - he will find those runs so long as he's not on a break.  Bedoya can do both, fwiw.  He's a legit CAM.

This style is holding us back.  Frankly we play much better without it and we're much more creative.  Perfect example of how much better we could be (and I understand it's womens vs mens) is Abby Wombach was that role for us in 2011 and before.  Jill Ellis wanted Leroux and Morgan making runs into channels.  All of a sudden we win the World Cup.  I'm not suggesting that we have the talent to do that yet, but we're closer than the experts think and I am sure we showed that this past world cup.

That's the number 1 reason I was frustrated that Klinsmann continues his love affair with Jozy.  At least he pulled him out of the match before the hour mark.  He's just never fit and has zero confidence.  Some guys just don't come back from bad spells.

Edited by DC9
  • Like 1

Jozy has come back from poor spells before and followed them up with a bunch of goals. He just needs to start shooting the darn ball. The first sight he has of goal he needs to take the shot. Also, the passing last night was ABYSMAL. The vast majority of Honduran chances was due to just fricken horrible passes to nobody, even simple passes that were off by yards.

But if you can play like **** and win, guess I can live with that. They had better get their asses in gear and start focusing. Altidore and Chandler were by far the worst to me. Someone I think on BigSoccer said Altidore looked pissed he was being removed.... If he didnt want to be removed he shouldnt play like utter ass. We have a bunch of good young talents coming up bud, better get your ass in gear if you want to keep getting call ups.

And the ref letting Honduras just tee off on us was super great. Thats yet another reason we seem to play better outside of CONCACAF, if Honduras pulled that crap in Europe they would have been down to 9 men.

• Like 1

A few things stood out to me.

The good-

1- Yedlin.  His speed is a game changer.  If he develops even a LITTLE bit more, he's going to be a star.  Needs to work on final touch.  But he can outrun everyone going both directions.

2- Brooks.  Best defender we have had since Onyewu was at his peak.  He's a rock.

3- Dempsey does what Dempsey does.  Scores when needed.

4- Fabian Johnson is our best player.

5- Zusi is great as a late sub.  Not sure I want him starting.

The bad-

1- Chandler was aweful.

2- Zardes had his worst game all year

3- Alvarado seemed to run out of gas.  Great first half, fell apart at the end

4- Jozy was invisible

The Meh-

1- Guzan was solid.  Made a couple of great saves.  Made a couple of errors that didn't end up as goals.  The goal was not his fault at all.  Better than the Guat game

2- Bradley and Beckerman.  I guess they did what JK wanted.  But it was just uninspiring.

3- Evans was ok.  But should have been better.  Almost allowed the tying goal.

The "Holycrapwhatthehellareyoudoing?!"

1- Wondo.  Really?  He has pictures of JK screwing goats.  I cant imagine any other scenario that the guy makes a roster, not to mention PLAYS.  I'd rank him our 15th best forward right now.  I just don't get it at all.

2- Officiating.  It's games like that that make me wonder again if the Latin countries secretly agree to screw the gringos every chance they get.  The Mexican ref let Honduras do whatever they wanted and whistled the US every chance he had.  It wasn't just poor officiating, it was biased as crap. 

Respectfully disagree.

I thought Zardes had a complete game. His offensive production lacked to a degree, but he put in the work defensively. I would like to see him become a better decision maker.

2- Bradley and Beckerman.  I guess they did what JK wanted.  But it was just uninspiring.

I thought Bradley had a very good game. He was everywhere and made some great decisions with his passing. Beckerman is what he is, he is there to break up the opponents attack. He did the best he could, but considering the team kept turning the ball over he really couldn't stop everything. He looked bad because the team didn't value possession last night.

I pretty much agree with the rest...

• Like 1

A few things stood out to me.

The good-

1- Yedlin.  His speed is a game changer.  If he develops even a LITTLE bit more, he's going to be a star.  Needs to work on final touch.  But he can outrun everyone going both directions.

2- Brooks.  Best defender we have had since Onyewu was at his peak.  He's a rock.

3- Dempsey does what Dempsey does.  Scores when needed.

4- Fabian Johnson is our best player.

5- Zusi is great as a late sub.  Not sure I want him starting.

The bad-

1- Chandler was aweful.

3- Alvarado seemed to run out of gas.  Great first half, fell apart at the end

4- Jozy was invisible

You were watching the US vs Hondurus, correct?

Agree with everything you said but the two highlighted.  Couldn't be further from the truth on both accounts.

Respectfully disagree.

I thought Zardes had a complete game. His offensive production lacked to a degree, but he put in the work defensively. I would like to see him become a better decision maker. I thought Bradley had a very good game. He was everywhere and made some great decisions with his passing. Beckerman is what he is, he is there to break up the opponents attack. He did the best he could, but considering the team kept turning the ball over he really couldn't stop everything. He looked bad because the team didn't value possession last night.

Playing LM... where he doesn't play. Totally agree.

Beckerman never needed to be on this team. 

Zardes has looked so much better in other games

Fabian is our best player right now. I stand by that.

The times Fabian went forward he made some deep penetrating runs. Was very effective and caused some havoc. I dont remember him having any defensive lapses so I would agree, played the best of anyone last night. I am still excited though by the youth that we have, they can only get better as they continue to play, and we have many years left with them.

Imo, Altidore and Dempsey play well together up top. Clint's first goal was off Jozy's shot. Hes a skilled big dude, and you need that on the pitch, even if he is in a little bit of a dry spell.

Wondo should have had his team card revoked after the cup.

She was at Penn State the same time I was. We partied together a few times, which means I was at a party she was attending. haha. 

Were you a big soccer supporter back then? Maybe you could have talked soccer with her 

What would it take for Twellman and the douchelord himself, Lalas to leave the US broadcasting crew. Seriously, they are without a doubt the worst tandem of analysts/commentators in all of US sports. Its so hard to thoroughly enjoy a match when you have to listen to Twellman be mostly wrong about everything, or Lalas execute a perfectly punchable face in the postgame.