Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Soccer thread.

Kilmer17

Jozy, come on man. I'm pulling hard for u. Get your head in the game and a shot on goal at the very least.

Maybe it's time to stop pulling for him and let Jurgen know that he isn't deserving of a place. At all. 

Many might well say it's LONG past that time, but as a non-American, I couldn't possibly comment on that.  :).

Hail. 

• Like 2

There a certainly a handful of things I disagree with regarding the lineups. For one, zardes and yedlin should be starting on the pitch. Also mix or zuzi on the pitch, but not both. Altidore should have also had an assist. But I agree he has been lacking lately.

Maybe it's time to stop pulling for him and let Jurgen know that he isn't deserving of a place. At all. 

Many might well say it's LONG past that time, but as a non-American, I couldn't possibly comment on that.  :).

Hail. 

Bobby Wood at least has confidence.  Glad to see Johannson getting time tonight.  He's got a chance to be the real deal, but needs to put it together.

Bedoya can get the ball to Johannson on the break...  Bradley isn't built for that. 

It's like I'm a broken record here....

There a certainly a handful of things I disagree with regarding the lineups. For one, zardes and yedlin should be starting on the pitch. Also mix or zuzi on the pitch, but not both. Altidore should have also had an assist. But I agree he has been lacking lately.

Tough to ask Yedlin and Zardes to play a full 90 twice in less than a week.  Especially in the summer months.

I think that's part of what would be the "A" lineup right now, though.

Guzan showing he's ready to leave Villa!

And that's why Mix Discerud is a turd...

I wonder what stopping a hard shot with your torso feels like when it comes from a few feet away from a pro player. Keepers are all a little crazy right? Have to be.

MartinC is a keeper... so.... :ph34r:

If Johansson would've hit that one in...

Son...

Great skills from Dempsey there

And MartinC, being like 504, would of been hit with balls these soft ass' wouldn't DARE get in the way of. 

The lightness of today's balls .... yeah, exactly. 

Hail. 

I heard he also once stood as a whicket during a cricket match cause they ran out.

He's certainly not to be ****ed with.

• Like 1

I heard he also once stood as a whicket during a cricket match cause they ran out.

He's certainly not to be ****ed with.

Bro', he's telling you a crock of macho ****. 

He's married to a Liverpool lass. We ALL know who wears the trousers in the C household.  ;)

He's only not to be ****ed with if she say's so.  :lol:

Hail. 

I'm just old enough to have experienced a leather classic ball as a child. That thing was really something. Especially when it absorbed a bunch of water.

This man knows. 

Even in the late '70's, early '80's we used to kick around the school yard with these rubber moulded Mitre multiplex balls that had pimples on the outside, and were heavy as a rock. I've seen kids get hit full in the face with them, and still have a face like a truck had run over it well into the following lesson before the marks went down. 

Those ****ers HURT! lol. 

Hail. 

I've been saying Jozy isn't all that for close to a decade now. Glad to see people are catching on. 

Beautiful take down by Zardes on his assist. 

Once again, they didn't look great but, as always, this will be a work in progress. In tourneys, just keep advancing and it's probably a good thing they haven't played their best soccer yet. In the grand scheme, save that up for WC qualifying. 

US plays Panama tonight at 830.  US has already won Group A.  But wont know who they will play until after Wed games.

Mexico lost 0-0 to a Guatemala team down to 10 men last night.  Meaning they are in 2nd place in Group C but play Group leader Trinidad and Tobago on Wed.  If Mexico wins, they still win the group.  If they tie or lose though, they will finish 2nd (super longshot at finishing 3rd, not worth discussing).  Which COULD mean playing Costa Rica in the quarters.  Costa Rica is in 2nd place of group B, behind Jamaica.  If Jamaica beats El Salvador, CR will be on the bottom of the bracket.  Which would mean the US would not face Mexico OR Costa Rica until the Finals.

If everything fell perfectly for the US, the bracket could look like this-

USA

Guatemala

-----------

Jamaica

Hon/Pan/Haiti

----------------------

TnT

Hon/Pan/Haiti

-------------

Mexico

Costa Rica

I've been saying Jozy isn't all that for close to a decade now. Glad to see people are catching on. 

Beautiful take down by Zardes on his assist. 

Once again, they didn't look great but, as always, this will be a work in progress. In tourneys, just keep advancing and it's probably a good thing they haven't played their best soccer yet. In the grand scheme, save that up for WC qualifying. 

Not quite that long for me, but I've never taken a liking to him.  Even back to the last world cup in 2010 he was terrible.  Buddle was always the best striker on that team and hardly got any run at all.

People should say that he had one good run of form in the Dutch league and stop saying he's in another bad run of form for the US.

He simply does not do what a striker needs to do—score goals. He had 1 or 2 seasons in Holland where it came together but look at his production and he doesn't even break 5 goals a season for his club. The reason, I believe, Wondo keeps getting chances is because as a former great striker, Jurgen sees that Wondo has the instinct to put the ball in the net and he's done it for most of his career consistently. 

He simply does not do what a striker needs to do—score goals. He had 1 or 2 seasons in Holland where it came together but look at his production and he doesn't even break 5 goals a season for his club. The reason, I believe, Wondo keeps getting chances is because as a former great striker, Jurgen sees that Wondo has the instinct to put the ball in the net and he's done it for most of his career consistently. 

We have so many choices up top now.  I just don't see the need for either. 

Let's not forget that Jozy is still battling back from that hamstring injury that he suffered in May. Both Jurgen and him have stated that he is not 100% at the moment. Obviously it could be said that if he isn't 100%, he shouldn't be on the field. But I think it is important to get Jozy these early, easy games now, with the hope that his form and fitness will improve by the time we reach the latter rounds.

I think everyone can admit that Jozy has not lived up to the lofty expectations that were bestowed upon him during the last 8-9 years. However, when in form, I still don't think we have a physical striker who is better than him (not counting Duece in that conversation, obviously).

I think Jozy deserves a spot on this team. He is a better option than Wondo. It looks like Zardes is being converted to a wing. I like Johnansson. The problem is that no one scores besides Dempsey. I would like to see Mixx in the 10 role. I think with Mixx as AM and Bradley in the center mid role and Johansson making runs in the channels our attack would be more fluid. I would play a diamond with Zardes at one wing and open competition for the other. Or if you go to a single striker: Johnansson at striker, Clint at 10, Zardes and Mixx at the wings and Bradley at center mid and Kitchen(eventually)/Beckerman at defensive mid.

So those keeping up to date.

If Jamaica and Costa Rica both win tonight, they will advance and El Salvador and Canada will be out (small chance they could sneak into the next round).  It would also put Jamaica on the US side of the bracket facing Haiti.  That would be better for the US.