Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Soccer thread.

Kilmer17

bradley shouldn't get an assist for josy's goal... he was totally trying to take his guy 1v1 and score a second goal when his poor touch trickled to josy. selfish soccer pisses me off. an earlier pass to the far post would have had an empty net goal for whomever that was.

• Like 1

Ok....not having seen either of the last two USMNT vs Guate matches.

What was the difference?

How do we go down there and lose 2-0 but in Columbus 4-0?

Players attitude. Plain and simple. 

For as much (often legit) criticism Klinsmann gets, a LOT of US players need to take a LONG hard look at themselves. 

Loosing to Guatemala is nothing shy of a disgrace and TOTALLY inexcusable. 

Hail. 

• Like 4

Kyle Beckerman.

With him playing right in front of the back line, Bradley was free to push forward with reckless abandon.

It was 60 minutes in before Guatemala figured out how to even hold possession in their own end.

Our press was suffocating.

Lol at people thinking the US could actually miss a World Cup. As if.

3zdmjvQ.png

Anything is possible under Jurgen. We don't play to our strengths or play players in the right positions. The fact that we were in 3rd in a pillow group is pathetic. We'd be dead in any other group playing the way we have. The Olympics miss for the second straight time. Embarrassing.

For as much (often legit) criticism Klinsmann gets, a LOT of US players need to take a LONG hard look at themselves.

Hail.

They don't play for him because he doesn't play to them. They puts them in positions they don't know and fail. Then they take crap for it. Then the entire team gets bitter at him. Pretty simple. Last night they won because their pride wouldn't allow a loss in front of their own fans. The same pride isn't there away.

Caught the 2nd half of the senior team match vs Guatemala... gutted for Finlay and that offside.  The kid from Dortmund looks like he's going to be a player.  Only SEVENTEEN years old!  Wow!

At least we're seeing some of the young kids get some time.  Now that the Olympics are done maybe we'll see all 3 of them in the senior squad from here on out.  Not happy about Morris being in that squad in Colombia, he should've been up in Guatemala last weekend.

The officiating in that Colombia game was ridiculous... we always seem to have trouble with that ref and that red was shameful.  Not even close.

And Steve Birnbaum is going to be in Europe within the next two windows.  Especially DC United are serious about this tear-down-rebuild thing they have going on for the new stadium opening.  He's literally the only player that can get them a few million to spend on a class player.

• Like 1

bradley shouldn't get an assist for josy's goal... he was totally trying to take his guy 1v1 and score a second goal when his poor touch trickled to josy. selfish soccer pisses me off. an earlier pass to the far post would have had an empty net goal for whomever that was.

WHOLE-HEARTEDLY agree.  What's funny, and I didn't hear it until Twellman said it yesterday during the match, but Klinsmann doesn't think he's a 6... even though literally every former US Soccer player as well as just about anyone with half a brain thinks he is.

He's not a 10.  You put Bradley at the 6 or 8 with the Pulsic kid as a 10 with Zardes - Dempsey - and Morris up top and you're cooking.  Even with Dempsey at the age he's at.

Time to start playing the best players regardless of who you like or what politics tell you to do.

Well that sucked.

Another lost tournament.

Not that we have a legit shot, but now we have a full buffet to choose from for the Copa America.

Anything is possible under Jurgen. We don't play to our strengths or play players in the right positions. The fact that we were in 3rd in a pillow group is pathetic. We'd be dead in any other group playing the way we have. The Olympics miss for the second straight time. Embarrassing.

They don't play for him because he doesn't play to them. They puts them in positions they don't know and fail. Then they take crap for it. Then the entire team gets bitter at him. Pretty simple. Last night they won because their pride wouldn't allow a loss in front of their own fans. The same pride isn't there away.

Last night he played Cameron in the middle where he belongs.  Yedlin at RB where he belongs.  Bradley with Beckerman under him where they belong.

JK has made a mess of the last 18 months.  But he got lots right last night.  Although I have no idea why he brought in Altidore for Wood.  I don't hate Jozy like others, but that move made no sense to me.

Hail. 

Yep, completely agree. The players in that first game had no fire, no passion. They lost that game. Klinsmann has his issues, but once the game starts its a player run game. No excuses for how the players performed on Friday. They played like they had no balls, no pressing, they basically let Guat do what they wanted to. Which should never happen.

Last night he played Cameron in the middle where he belongs.  Yedlin at RB where he belongs.  Bradley with Beckerman under him where they belong.

JK has made a mess of the last 18 months.  But he got lots right last night.  Although I have no idea why he brought in Altidore for Wood.  I don't hate Jozy like others, but that move made no sense to me.

Yeah, Yedlin needs to play at RB. He works there, hes comfortable there, his defending has gotten better. The obsession with putting him the midfield because he is fast and attack minded is silly. Let him do his thing from RB. We have other options that can play out wide on that side. We really need to have a player like Beckerman playing that role every time we go out there.

The most frustrating thing about Klinnsman is we dont have a set lineup. We are constantly in flux. We should have a starting 11 mostly set with a few changes every now and then when we are playing in a WCQ. We cant be changing 6 players out every game.

Hail. 

That's what I figured, that first result reminded me of the US Olympic Basketball Dream Team in 2004 US Basketball Olympic squad.

bfdbef0b67d79f1ad6394d5660729c31-300x234

I think this issue of playing players out of position is a direct result of the inconsistent play of the players. Take Michael Bradley for example. Some games he plays great in an advanced role, other games he is invisible. Sometimes he controls the game as a defensive midfielder and others he looks lost. The guys aren't consistent enough.

I've not been able to watch any of the matches of late, sadly.  I have a general question, though.  Is part of the problem that a lot of our main talent is now in MLS where the competition isn't necessarily as stout, or is that just a buzz topic?

Edited by Old Bay

I've not been able to watch any of the matches of late, sadly. I have a general question, though. Is part of the problem that a lot of our main talent is now in MLS where the competition isn't necessarily as stout, or is that just a buzz topic?

Absolutely. Mls has enough money now to bring Americans home. And practicing with an Mls side is far inferior than a top euro team. Further, even playing for a crappy euro side provides playing opportunities against top euro teams.

In mls, these guys are superstars. What they need (for a better national team) is to be a teammate.

Absolutely. Mls has enough money now to bring Americans home. And practicing with an Mls side is far inferior than a top euro team. Further, even playing for a crappy euro side provides playing opportunities against top euro teams.

In mls, these guys are superstars. What they need (for a better national team) is to be a teammate.

That may be a part of it. I think age also needs to be considered. Generally speaking, the better players play in the MLS when they are young (that trend is starting to change) and when they are older. Most USNMT players that play in the MLS are not in their prime. There are also the players that were flops in Europe and are flops in International soccer.

It's more then just MLS though, it's the college system, how high school kids are coached/play, how middle school kids are coached/play, and how kids are introduced to the game. It is changing with more academies opening and players going pro instead of playing in college but it will take more time.

There also is the issue with styles in different regions. The way US and Mexico need to play in concacaf doesn't translate well to playing Europe or South American teams. We aren't good enough to dictate the way a Brazil or Germany would against someone like Costa Rica so we get sucked into playing in a way we aren't good at.

It's all kind of a large circular argument. It just depends on where on the circle you want to start and push for change.

• Like 2

That Iran game was brutal.  We completely dominated all 90 minutes, hit the framework 4-5 times and played well.  That's a frustrating loss.  Losing to Guat though was a soul crushing loss because of how it went down.  They dominated us.