Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Soccer thread.

Kilmer17

I just finished watching the 20th anniversary replay of the first ever MLS match between the San Jose Clash and the DC United.

Wow.....was that ever awful!

It's no wonder the rest of the soccer world has the impression that the MLS is so bad. That match was painful to watch. It looked more like an average high school match-up. Poor possession play, poor trapping, poor passing, poor defending. The plays consisted of midfielders and defensive backs booting the ball as hard as they could up to their forwards and then hoping that something would happen.

That game seriously stands in stark contrast to the skill being demonstrated in the MLS today. And while we certainly aren't at the European level, we've come a VERY long way!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Klinsmann names 23 for Copa America to not much fanfare. 

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2016/05/21/18/57/160521-mnt-klinsmann-names-23-player-roster-for-historic-copa-america-centenario

Obviously no Johannsson or Altidore which is a killer.  Time for Bobby Wood.

No Diskerud, which is a bit of a surprise.

No Julian Green which is not a surprise, but certainly a concern for his progression.  I figure he gets plenty of playing time today against PR and has much to prove.

I would much rather have Morris instead of Wondo... Wondo has been awful internationally outside of a few good games against horrible teams. I'll never forgive the shank against Belgium.

Dempsey's and Jones' misses were equally as bad yet Wondo gets more blame somehow.  

Because Dempsey and Jones have performed for this team. And I don't recall theirs being as bad anyway. He was on the doorstep.

They were also on the doorstep.  Wondo accepted blame, so he tends to get it.  Without Altidore or Johannsson, where on earth is Klinsmann going to find a goal scorer?  

Wondo being on the team pales in comparison to Gonzalez being off it as far as shockers go.

Can someone explain Zardes to me? I get that he's fast but I haven't seen anything from him that would justify inclusion on the USMNT. There has to be a winger somewhere that can get take on his man, get off a decent cross, and get back on defense. Zardes is just not that player, IMHO.

And I hope JK doesn't start Guzan in goal. He's shell shocked from his time in the EPL. 

Zardes continues to show again and again that he has no business starting for the national team. His first touch sucks donkey balls. Its so bad,  not sure how he can be a professional player and not only have such a bad touch but to never improve on it.

Nagbe looks so good in the forward midfield spot, ESPECIALLY with Bradley playing defensive mid and those two playing off of each other. In that setup the midfield looks really good, can control the ball well. PLEASE Klinnsy, PLEASE, play Nagbe with Bradley playing behind him. PLEASE do not start Zardes again, either put Wood there or Pulisic. Both are miles better than Zardes.

Also, Yedlin just continue to look so much better defensively, hes improved a ton in that area with Sunderland.

Best half of soccer by the US in almost 2 years.

FINALLY we see Bradley as Dmid instead of the 10 and voila!

And the move around 80 minute mark that Pulisic did against 3 guys 100 lbs heavier than them was unreal.

I know it's only one half.  And I know we are probably going to get run off the pitch next month, but that was a nice glimpse into the future.

Now about our center backs........

• Like 1

Totally agree Kilmer, the 2nd half last night was a very good half of soccer. USMNT were finally possessing the ball like they're supposed to, and stringing 7-8 passes together for scoring opportunities. It really looked like soccer...finally.

And that late goal was just flat out pretty. I was on the phone with a client and just started fist pumping in the air, very exciting and so awesome to be rewarded for the work!

Now, our right defensive side in the first half was being seriously exposed. I thought it was just a matter of time before they scored by attacking that side.

Question: was last night's game for any points? I thought I read somewhere that it was only a friendly, and wasn't sure how that all worked with their standings.

Totally agree Kilmer, the 2nd half last night was a very good half of soccer. USMNT were finally possessing the ball like they're supposed to, and stringing 7-8 passes together for scoring opportunities. It really looked like soccer...finally.

And that late goal was just flat out pretty. I was on the phone with a client and just started fist pumping in the air, very exciting and so awesome to be rewarded for the work!

Now, our right defensive side in the first half was being seriously exposed. I thought it was just a matter of time before they scored by attacking that side.

Question: was last night's game for any points? I thought I read somewhere that it was only a friendly, and wasn't sure how that all worked with their standings.

Just a friendly.  Copa doesn't start until June 3 vs Colombia.

We have another friendly May 28 against Bolivia.

....and congratulations to Chrisyoan Pulisic for his first of hopefully many goals for the national team!

With a nice pass from Nagbe!!

Was coming into say the same thing.  Nagbe looks like a player and Pulisic is going to be something. 

Bolivia is awful, but I'm glad this is going to be more of a tourney for some of the youngins to get some seasoning.  Like last year's Redskins, that makes this season going in "more watchable" for me.

No Julian Green which is not a surprise, but certainly a concern for his progression.  I figure he gets plenty of playing time today against PR and has much to prove.

He's been loaned out to a 3rd or 4th division club football team and struggles to get time.

I've never seen a kid come off the bench and score a goal in a world cup after about 10' and then basically be out of world football within 2 years.  ****, he's not even 21 yet I don't think.

Zardes continues to show again and again that he has no business starting for the national team. His first touch sucks donkey balls. Its so bad,  not sure how he can be a professional player and not only have such a bad touch but to never improve on it.

You goober :lol:

Zardes is fine for the national team.  The thing with Zardes is he's a channel runner and not a target forward... so the rest of the team needs to play to his strengths, they did that and he scored goals.

I've never seen a kid come off the bench and score a goal in a world cup after about 10' and then basically be out of world football within 2 years.  ****, he's not even 21 yet I don't think.

See: Agudelo, Juan