Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Soccer thread.

My god I can't watch Bradley anymore. I keep checking back in over the past two years to see if he's been replaced, and yet there he is, every minute of every game while guys like altidore get flayed. Maybe we should call up kljstan or Beasley <s/c> This game was beyond garbage. I could make a compelling argument that the Bradley's were the worst thing to ever happen to the national team.

• Like 1

I'm now actually rooting for two more losses just like this.

I have no confidence that Klinsmann can coach this team to improve.

His lineup proves what a terrible manager he is now.

Bedoya??? Jones???? I still maintain the US has enough talent to compete at the highest level. But our coach isn't capable of seeing it or using it.

Honestly don't think that was a bad effort at all.

Columbia are 4th in the world for a reason.

But I've seen enough of Michael Bradley (I feel like I say this every game) and now I've seen enough of DeAndre Yedlin.  Yedlin was awful at Sunderland this year and he's been awful for the United States.

I thought moving Bradley back to the 8 would eliminate his turnovers on short passes... it turns out I was wrong there.  He can't even play the ****ing pivot.

But real talk, a lot of the ideas were good, some of the movement was good.  Columbia is just better.

• Like 1

We were completely run off he pitch tonight.

What a complete disaster this has become.

We can't pass. We can't shoot. We can't even touch the ball without it traveling 5 yards away.

We're ranked 31 in the world and honestly, that starting 11 isn't even in the top 100

We have quite literally no technical ability whatsoever. It's incredible to watch how daft we are at the very basics.

Let me put it in terms that are easier for some of you to relate to.

Let's use college football as a reference.

Colombia = Alabama/Ohio State

United States = San Diego State/Memphis

San Diego State is going to give a lot of teams problems.  But Bama and OSU aren't going to be bothered by them.  Doesn't matter who is managing this team at the moment. 

• Like 2

Bedoya is a guy who I thought played himself off a roster spot 4 years ago. Zuzi should start over him.

I would cheer if Beckerman started over Bradley. Sure he's not a superstar, but he sure as hell won't pass it directly to the other team or pad his accuracy by dumping the ball off to the back line in the offensive half.

Lastly, I had long hoped Guzan was just an experiment. A injury spell perhaps. Surely Howard or some other guy was in waiting. But here we are, and it sure looks like he's the guy. He's never been particularly great at anything.

Beat Costa Rica.

But they're good too. Not as good as Colonia but silk.

Costa Rica is the enigma.  I had us losing to Colombia, but Costa Rica is the match that will decide if we go through.

I think we all need to take a breath here. Columbia is an excellent team. No one should have expected a point from this game. JK played a defensively responsible team in hopes of keeping the goal diffetential manageable. This team accomplished that goal. I did not expect them to give up possesion so cheaply, but they did manage to possess the ball. I am happy with the result. I will bet anyone here that Nagbe and Pulisic will feature in the next match. We will start to see the young kids play more as we move through the tournament. We were always playing for second place. Our tournament starts Tuesday against Costa Rica!!

Edited by jobaga
  • Like 3

PS...I still really like Yedlin and think he is going to be a dynamic player for our nation for years to. BUT....he had to know better than to turn his back to the ball in the box. Did he mean to handle the ball? No, but he did. He has to be smarter, more disciplined, and (frankly) braver than that.

PS...I still really like Yedlin and think he is going to be a dynamic player for our nation for years to. BUT....he had to know better than to turn his back to the ball in the box. Did he mean to handle the ball? No, but he did. He has to be smarter, more disciplined, and (frankly) braver than that.

Well, I don't give that as a penalty (though it's funny how Lalas gave that as a pen but none of the THREE Liverpool-Sevilla handballs were pens, eh?) but he was just caught out of position far too often last night and it's been a problem with him.  When you rely solely on your pace you aren't really a weapon.

He's cut from the same cloth as Raheem Sterling.  If he'd work just "this much" he'd be a world class player.

• Like 1

Well, I don't give that as a penalty (though it's funny how Lalas gave that as a pen but none of the THREE Liverpool-Sevilla handballs were pens, eh?) but he was just caught out of position far too often last night and it's been a problem with him. When you rely solely on your pace you aren't really a weapon.

He's cut from the same cloth as Raheem Sterling. If he'd work just "this much" he'd be a world class player.

Jamie Carragher would have never turned his back on that ball... Edited by jobaga
  • Like 1

Jamie Carragher would have never turned his back on that ball...

Deandre Yedlin is not Carra :lol:

I do agree that it's no time to panic.  If anyone had us getting points from this one you are the eternal optimist. 

You can be upset with the pen (as I am) that put it out of reach, but the boys played well.

Caudrado is still a ****, though.  ****ing Morinho didn't play him all  that much after the purchase, but he had the time wasting down to a science last night.

Focus on Costa Rica.  They present enough problems for our chances. 

I didn't necessarily expect a point from the game, but I expected us to be more prepared and look more dangerous. Didn't happen and I think that's directly klinsmann fault.

Nah, you can blame him for a lot.  But don't blame him for Colombia having one of the top 10 players in the world and having about 2 more that are in the top 30.

• Like 1

Nah, you can blame him for a lot. But don't blame him for Colombia having one of the top 10 players in the world and having about 2 more that are in the top 30.

Agree to disagree my friend. James did pretty much nada all game. We were lethargic and uninspired. However, you have the experience (age

Agree to disagree my friend. James did pretty much nada all game. We were lethargic and uninspired. However, you have the experience (age ) so I will defer to you.

In other news, not a good look for soccer in the US when you have three high profile international tournament games and there is only 1 goal.

how were we lethargic and uninspired?

They ran their asses off.  Just a lot of heavy touches and Colombia were better at getting the 50/50 balls.  And then Colombia were also better keeping the ball... which they did.  Again, we don't have the players.

I do agree that it's weird about the lack of goal scoring.

I fell asleep watching Brasil last night and it was 0-0.

Edited by DC9
  • Like 2

I fell asleep watching Brasil last night and it was 0-0.

Wrote on that the 'soccer thread.'

They're getting more European and more tedious  by the passing year. The samba flair is no longer there and the love for watching Brazil is well waining. 

Also wasn't lost on me the half empty Rose Bowl and the complete lack of ambience the TV. And this was for Brazil! If the opening games this tournament are anything to go by, letting the US host is a disastrous move. This ain't no WC'94 interest. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 3

Wrote on that the 'soccer thread.'

They're getting more European and more tedious  by the passing year. The samba flair is no longer there and the love for watching Brazil is well waining. 

Also wasn't lost on me the half empty Rose Bowl and the complete lack of ambience the TV. And this was for Brazil! If the opening games this tournament are anything to go by, letting the US host is a disastrous move. This ain't no WC'94 interest. 

Hail. 

We've done a poor job early on.  Really no other way to say it.

If this was a show case for picking up a world cup down the road, we're losing.

And I agree, save for Willian and Coutinho there was zero class on the pitch for Brasil last night.

I miss the jinga, too.

• Like 1

The good news is that Costa Rica's goalie isn't playing (Navas) so that's huge for USA. These next games are going to be crucial. 

Was listening to Planet Futbol podcast break down the Friday loss and a lot of interesting information out there. Costa Rica is definitely a team that the US can beat if they show up, and they haven't been in form like the USA (or even Colombia) since 2014. Suffice it to say both countries had some pretty dismal WC hangovers. So take advantage of the lack of Navas and light em up

• Like 1

Costa Rica still has Joel Campbell.  I'm not sure if he's playing this tournament, but he's far better than any US striker.

Mexico up EARLY on Uruguay sans Luis Suarez.

I believe he is I heard his name mentioned during the Copa America preview

Twitter reacts to Joel Campbell's Costa Rica performance against Paraguay 
HITC‎ - 10 hours ago
Arsenal forward Joel Campbell failed to inspire Costa Rica to a winning start to their Copa ...
Edited by ixcuincle

Mexico still hasn't conceded under this new manager

I believe he is I heard his name mentioned during the Copa America preview

Twitter reacts to Joel Campbell's Costa Rica performance against Paraguay 
HITC‎ - 10 hours ago
Arsenal forward Joel Campbell failed to inspire Costa Rica to a winning start to their Copa ...

Yeah, he always finds form against the US.