Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Soccer thread.

Kilmer17

Dude I don't give a **** I'm going back to the bar tomorrow to get hammered drunk and watch USA clobber Trinadad and TOBAGO

Everywhere we go

People wanna know

Who we are

So we tell them

We are the U.S.

The mighty, mighty U.S.

We love you We love you We love you And Where you go we‟ll follow

Disagree to an extent.  Had this conversation with the lady who is taking over my job (I'm moving up, so to speak) this week.  She played in Amsterdam in high school (she's American) and her coach played for Ajax back in the day (don't remember the name) then she played for Rutgers for a bit.

Anywho, her take was that most kids play soccer.  Boys move on to football, baseball, basketball, hockey, etc... girls move onto basketball and softball, but most still play soccer.  The way the seasons line up in school, it's set up for girls to play all three.

Boys have to choose, and frankly we don't have enough choosing world football.  American football is a year round sport now with conditioning programs, etc. 

I think that take is partially correct.  Certainly in the suburbs, youth soccer is EVERYWHERE.  There are fields all over the place, and they're in use dawn to dusk, especially on the weekends.  I don't know how big it is in the city though.  In DC for example, are many of the kids playing soccer?  I have no idea. 

The other factor is, what sports are kids playing on their own, outside of their leagues?  Are they dribbling soccer balls in the back yard with their buddies, or just shooting hoops or tossing the football back and forth?  What's the first piece of sports equipment they get from their parents?  Is it a soccer ball, or is it more likely a football, basketball, or baseball?  I think that's a huge part of where skills are developed, and why the US has produced so few (in my opinion, and I'm no expert) technically skilled elite soccer players, even though we have plenty of great athletes.  Outside of the Hispanic kids, I don't see a lot of kids in my neighborhood playing pick-up soccer or just dribbling the ball on their own.  Hispanics coming to the US are bringing their love of soccer with them, and it's what they're having their kids play at a very young age.  By the time they start playing in organized games, their ball skills are clearly better, at least from my observations in NoVa.  On my son's last team before he switched over to running, he and another boy were the only non-Hispanics on his team, and they just trounced most of the other teams they played.  When this generation gets older, our national team will only get better, assuming we can get most of these kids to play for the Stars and Stripes. 

• Like 1

Bradley playing CAM... because he played the 8 last time and we scored 6 goals.  Albeit against a **** side, but for ****'s sake...

How many times does he have to play 10 to show that he can;t?

Altidore can't distribute from a hold-up and Bradley literally has zero vision and accuracy as a 10...

What do we expect to get tonight?

Bradley playing CAM... because he played the 8 last time and we scored 6 goals.  Albeit against a **** side, but for ****'s sake...

How many times does he have to play 10 to show that he can;t?

From the outside looking in. you really need to move on from the other Jurgen. He's done a very good job all things considered but this has long since bottomed out and you need someone more clinical without favourites to take this forward. 

Hail. 

• Like 2

Really good cross from Jozy... Zardes needed to do better.

And then two minutes later Jozy gets behind and destroys the first touch...

From the outside looking in. you really need to move on from the other Jurgen. He's done a very good job all things considered but this has long since bottomed out and you need someone more clinical without favourites to take this forward. 

Hail. 

Totally agree.  As it was said on the last page, I'd love for him to take over US Soccer and run the program... but his tactics and his force-feeding are beyond atrocious.

• Like 2

Wouldn't mind seeing Bobby Wood come in for Jozy ASAP.  Like, right freaking now, ASAP.

I don't know who else is on the bench, but if Bedoya is he needs to come in for Jones at the 70' if there is no goal.

It looks like a 4-4-2 with Yedlin up so far that it's almost a 4-3-3... Bradley just can't make that pass.  Need to scrap that and either go with a diamond or put someone in who can distribute through the channels.  One solid through ball from Bradley and he wasn't on the same page as Yedlin when he made it. 

Blows my mind we see the same thing everytime we go out.

• Like 1

I was listening to the Planet Futbol podcast and they were talking about this issue with the forwards post-Dempsey. It's not like Dempsey is doing anything right now, the Sounders are eliminated. He could help this team but he's staying at home because Jurgen thinks that it's time for the other boys to step up. Well, the other boys aren't doing anything. 

Having Captain America during this WC qualifying would have been big. 

• 2 months later...

Hail. 

ENGLISH OUT!!!!!  Go back to your Island and leave our team alone. :P

ohh, sorry, thought I was in the ES Soccer thread and reading the Pool messages. :D

• 1 month later...

Need to score an away goal in the U23 game at 5 today.  Even if they lose 2-1.  They'll have a strong lineup.  With 8 of the 11 having Senior team caps.

I haven't bothered to even look at who was called into the WCQ vs Guatemala.