Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some More Cops Who Need To Be Commended

btfoom

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So..... i went biking with my daughters on Saturday.   We went to Baltimore, and started in Broening Park, which is a fairly raggedy little waterfront park 5 or so miles south of the inner harbor, and then wound our way on the Middle Branch bike trail along the waterfront (mostly) towards the inner harbor, biked around a bit there, and then went back.   We went right by Raven's Stadium, and there were a bunch of people tailgating for the Billy Joel concert that night, and somewhere or another there was some sort of Anime convention going on, so there were all sorts of half naked women dressed as cartoon characters, and men dressed as some lame excuse to go look at half naked women.  We also spent some time with the crabbers and fishers on docks in the Middle Branch park-- this one amiable old dude had caught about 12 MONSTER blues.   Good times all around.

Anyway... the bike route took us through some serious post industrial wasteland, and through some not great (not terrible) neighborhoods.  as we got close to the trendy neighborhoods near the inner harbor, but weren't quite there yet, we stopped at a 7-11 to get some slurpees  (it was HOT! that day).   Just as we were finishing paying-up, about 10 black kids ranging from about 6 to about 14 years old all streamed into the store together.   The clerk came storming from behind the counter and loudly said:   "Wait a minute here...WAIT a MINUTE!  WHo has money.  Show me money if you have money!  all of you with no money...OUTSIDE"  and all but 1 or two of the older kid streamed outside, disappointed and saying "why you gotta  do us that way?"

My daughters and i were outside trying to get situated (I was unlocking the bikes, so we could walk them while they finished their slurpees.  I didn't buy a slurpee for myself, but took this situation as an opportunity to teach my children a valuable lesson about the concept of taxation, as i took generous swigs from all of THEIR slurpees).  Anyway, while we were getting situated there were a bunch of kids milling around outside the store, and a policeman pulled into the parking lot.  A naturally stern looking cop.  A "do you REALLY want to mess with me?"  cop.  

Anyway, the officer sternly went over to the kids at the other end of the parking lot and was sternly talking to them about something i couldn't hear for a minute or two, and then raised his voice and loudly, sternly, said...  "all right... ALL RIGHT.  all you kids gather around here.  now........ were going in the store PEACEFULLY......   Slurpees for everyone. "    

I cheered (quietly--- didn't want a stern look thrown my way)  

Edited by mcsluggo
  • Like 3

I was wrong. It turns out they're not all trigger happy power junkies after all and they can in fact differentiate between a threat and a non-threat. Who knew?

http://bit.ly/1Saroch...

Sheriff’s deputies arrested a Georgia “sovereign citizen” who twice attempted to pull one of the half-dozen guns he had within reach inside his car decorated with a hand-painted Confederate flag.

A Towns County sheriff’s deputy and an agent from the Appalachian Regional Drug Enforcement Office stopped 30-year-old Dustin Lee Gunnells, of Hiawassee, for an unspecified misdemeanor traffic offense Wednesday, reported WKRK-AM.

“Immediately the driver exhibited aggression towards the officers and began making statements consistent with ‘sovereign citizen type beliefs,” the sheriff’s office said in a statement. “Rather than comply with deputies, the driver reached for a gun.”

The deputies feared for their safety but did not shoot, and instead broke out a window in Gunnell’s car and physically removed him from the vehicle.

Edited by The Sisko

"all right... ALL RIGHT. all you kids gather around here. now........ were going in the store PEACEFULLY...... Slurpees for everyone. "

I cheered (quietly--- didn't want a stern look thrown my way)

That's a pretty awesome story man. Glad you got to enjoy the ride all around.

• Like 1

Not really different stories at all, if you read the article (it literally cites directly to the story about the eggs).  The point of the article is not that all cops are bad or corrupt, obviously they aren't.  The point of the article is that just because a small number of feel-good stories about cops are coming out recently, it shouldn't distract the general public from the very true fact that police have recently, and for a very long time, abused their power, killed an awful lot of (mostly black) people for no good reason (and faced little or no consequences), and that serious reform is long overdue.  One cop pushing one person in a (already motorized) wheelchair doesn't change any of that.

I'm going to try to be as nice as I can here. You make it known you went to law school and passed the bar. Meaning you received not just a Juris Doctor, but also received Bachelors. Yet you can't accept any feel good stories about cops because of the negative stories being reported without denigrating the stories? Why, exactly? Is it your assertion that there are more bad cops than good cops? I can't answer that because of a contradiction in your post, which I address in the next paragraph.

You will also notice, because of your astute reading comprehension, that not a single post in this thread attempted to dismiss the other thread (Some more cops who need to be fired) as unnecessary. Additionally, the bolded portion above is, to put it bluntly, bull****. You can't say, "The point of the article is not that all cops are bad or corrupt, obviously they aren't." and follow it up directly with, "The point of the article is that just because a small number of feel-good stories about cops are coming out recently, it shouldn't distract the general public from the very true fact that police have recently, and for a very long time, abused their power, killed an awful lot of (mostly black) people for no good reason (and faced little or no consequences), and that serious reform is long overdue."  You literally contradict yourself. You can either paint with a broad brush, or you can't. Not all cops are bad, but cops abuse their power and kill an awful lot of (black) people. 

• Like 2

I'm going to try to be as nice as I can here. You make it known you went to law school and passed the bar. Meaning you received not just a Juris Doctor, but also received Bachelors. Yet you can't accept any feel good stories about cops because of the negative stories being reported without denigrating the stories? Why, exactly? Is it your assertion that there are more bad cops than good cops? I can't answer that because of a contradiction in your post, which I address in the next paragraph.

You will also notice, because of your astute reading comprehension, that not a single post in this thread attempted to dismiss the other thread (Some more cops who need to be fired) as unnecessary. Additionally, the bolded portion above is, to put it bluntly, bull****. You can't say, "The point of the article is not that all cops are bad or corrupt, obviously they aren't." and follow it up directly with, "The point of the article is that just because a small number of feel-good stories about cops are coming out recently, it shouldn't distract the general public from the very true fact that police have recently, and for a very long time, abused their power, killed an awful lot of (mostly black) people for no good reason (and faced little or no consequences), and that serious reform is long overdue."  You literally contradict yourself. You can either paint with a broad brush, or you can't. Not all cops are bad, but cops abuse their power and kill an awful lot of (black) people. 

I think his point is that there isn't much value in such stories, outside of propaganda and distraction from the primary issue. Is it nice? Yes. Is it feelgood? For some. The problem is, it's sort of like starting a thread to lionize mailcarriers for delivering mail. These types of things are what the police are supposed to be doing as part of their jobs. However I have to wonder how many of these same, altruistic wonderful human beings have used excessive force themselves and turned a blind eye for other cops.

I think his point is that there isn't much value in such stories, outside of propaganda and distraction from the primary issue. Is it nice? Yes. Is it feelgood? For some. The problem is, it's sort of like starting a thread to lionize mailcarriers for delivering mail. These types of things are what the police are supposed to be doing as part of their jobs. However I have to wonder how many of these same, altruistic wonderful human beings have used excessive force themselves and turned a blind eye for other cops.

So let me summarize: you 1) are going to speak for another poster; 2) claim all stories like this are "propaganda and distraction"; 3) make a bad analogy; 4) hypothesize that ANY officer highlighted in said "propaganda" has either used excessive force or turned a blind eye to cover for another officer using excessive force without offering any proof.

So basically, if you are a cop you are assumed to be a scumbag that is out to get people? Isn't that the exact same bias you complain about?

Edited by Popeman38
  • Like 3

Again, you have literally hundred's of threads to post this crap.  Please take it somewhere else.  

• Like 3

I didn't realize rational discussion would be off-limits and cop worship was the only position allowed in the thread. My apologies for disturbing your church service.

Didn't realize your feelings got hurt so badly.

Maybe you needed to read the title of this thread before you post, it would help.  Guess reading comprehension wasn't a strong suit in school - it's obvious that distorting the truth certainly was.

• Like 3

I didn't realize rational discussion would be off-limits and cop worship was the only position allowed in the thread. My apologies for disturbing your church service.

Spare us your sanctimonious bull****. There is a thread where anyone posting anything that could be taken as defense of a cop they get shouted down and dismissed. And you post this here?

quote-with-like-minded-people-one-cannot

EDIT: I also notice you didn't respond to anything in my post.

Edited by Popeman38
  • Like 4

Spare us your sanctimonious bull****. There is a thread where anyone posting anything that could be taken as defense of a cop they get shouted down and dismissed. And you post this here?

<removed per guidelines>

EDIT: I also notice you didn't respond to anything in my post.

Great post Popeman.  Loved it.

Also, here's another LEO doing something nice:  http://foxct.com/2015/04/20/bridgeport-police-officer-caught-on-camera-doing-good-deed/

I work for a local news organization, ( http://http://www.thebaynet.com/ )  and i see practically everything that happens in Southern MD.

We had a situation here in my area about 6 months ago..  cops were called to an area well known for criminal problems on a vandalism report.. someone shooting out windows.

As it is, the cop went looking and heard glass shatter..  went to investigate and came face to face with a young African American kid with a BB pistol.

the only reason i bring it up is because the kid did not end up shot, did not end up dead. The officer was very calm and very composed as he quickly assessed the situation, and regardless of whether he knew it was a BB gun or not, handled himself with restraint, and defused the situation quickly and safely. (I saw the gun,,  it would be VERY hard to tell if it's a BB gun based on a quick look. Looked very much like a real gun. Granted, the officer and pre-determined by looking at the  damage that BBs were being used..  but given the area he could have just as easily run across someone else with a weapon.)

Here is the original story.

http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/0215/12_year_old-arrested-for-vandalism.html

DFC Bowen, IMO, did an exemplary job. He did nothing that should be commended or celebrated,, just routine police work.

Which is why i think it should be mentioned. Too often police who do the right thing are either

A/ ignored, or

B/ overblown into some sort of hero.

It IS their job, and even though i say he didn't do anything special, given today's climate and media slathering all over any possible police abuse, I was glad he handled the situation so well,, and I would also bet the young man and his family are, too.

And that is what "protect and serve" means.

Protect the public, including those you may be going after. He kept his head on straight, and as a result, the kid kept his head.

Like most, i'm very concerned about the abuse of power.

And like most, I'm well aware that those bad apples are the minority.

And since the media won't bring the routine good to our attention, this is a good thread to do so.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 1