Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

nbcchicago: Missing Minutes From Security Video Raises Questions

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Wow man. Where do you live/work that this stuff is happening at such a regular basis?

I'm not disputing the corruption of the city or the cops, but I've been in the city for almost 4 years now, and the closest thing I've ever had happen was a neighbor a block away had a break-in. I know this kind of stuff happens in the city, but its typically not in the neighborhoods where out-of-towners are moving to.

We sublet our first place in Pilsen 3 years ago. We only lived there a month. In that time my wife's bike was stolen at the Lincoln park zoo. Lived on Grand Ave in West Town. That apartment was broken into and they took ALL our electronics. Moved to wicker park and lived there for almost two years without incident and we just moved to Logan Square a month ago.

I work in the restaurant industry so I see a darker side to the city than you might. Don't fool yourself though. You don't have to live on the south side to see some ****. Last incident I saw one of my cooks was waiting for the bus on chicago ave around 11 at night. Car pulled up and shot him with a paintball gun, paintball hit him in the eye. Several surgeries later they finally had to remove his eye.

Yea something needs to change about these back-wood republican controlled cities.

Yeah they need to elect a republican. Republicans have always stood for greater police accountability and often side with urban communities on the issue of police violence. This isn't a party issue, neither one is going to take on police unions with any meaningful changes.

We sublet our first place in Pilsen 3 years ago. We only lived there a month. In that time my wife's bike was stolen at the Lincoln park zoo. Lived on Grand Ave in West Town. That apartment was broken into and they took ALL our electronics. Moved to wicker park and lived there for almost two years without incident and we just moved to Logan Square a month ago.

I work in the restaurant industry so I see a darker side to the city than you might. Don't fool yourself though. You don't have to live on the south side to see some ****. Last incident I saw one of my cooks was waiting for the bus on chicago ave around 11 at night. Car pulled up and shot him with a paintball gun, paintball hit him in the eye. Several surgeries later they finally had to remove his eye.

Trust me, I'm under no false pretenses about certain parts of the city.  I lived in Detroit before Chicago and I used to laugh at all my Chicago friends when they talked about how dangerous Detroit was-- they had a very skewed sense of what 'Chicago' was (basically to them Chicago was Wicker Park, Bucktown, the Loop, River North, Lincoln Park and Lakeview-- that was it).  My only point in my previous post was that its pretty rare that people move to Chicago and then move into the neighborhoods that see the brunt of Chicago's problems, that's why I was curious where you've lived.

I've been in Bucktown since mid-2011.

That's the type of crime and craziness in any major city.

I grew up in a crazy DC, as did MLS. 2 different eras.

Used to go to B'more back in the day, all the time...not much has changed besides inner harbor (Power plant area ). Grimy, stank city.

Head on a swivel even downtown is what you learn, while living in big cities.

Otherwise, you are setting yourself up to become a victim. I do the same thing here. I live in a quiet community not close to the city, but close to plenty of crazy rednecks ( cool folks though ).

Yeah they need to elect a republican. Republicans have always stood for greater police accountability and often side with urban communities on the issue of police violence. This isn't a party issue, neither one is going to take on police unions with any meaningful changes.

Really not a fair statement. These cities have been under liberal control for decades. At some point, the other side get's to say, "your polices aren't working" 

Trust me, I'm under no false pretenses about certain parts of the city.  I lived in Detroit before Chicago and I used to laugh at all my Chicago friends when they talked about how dangerous Detroit was-- they had a very skewed sense of what 'Chicago' was (basically to them Chicago was Wicker Park, Bucktown, the Loop, River North, Lincoln Park and Lakeview-- that was it).  My only point in my previous post was that its pretty rare that people move to Chicago and then move into the neighborhoods that see the brunt of Chicago's problems, that's why I was curious where you've lived.

I've been in Bucktown since mid-2011.

Sure, I understand I by no means live in an area that has the most problems. I also think we got some bad luck thrown our way the first year we lived here.

That's the type of crime and craziness in any major city.

I grew up in a crazy DC, as did MLS. 2 different eras.

Used to go to B'more back in the day, all the time...not much has changed besides inner harbor (Power plant area ). Grimy, stank city.

Head on a swivel even downtown is what you learn, while living in big cities.

Otherwise, you are setting yourself up to become a victim. I do the same thing here. I live in a quiet community not close to the city, but close to plenty of crazy rednecks ( cool folks though ).

I grew up in SE, born in 82. Parents still live in the same house not far from RFK actually. The neighborhood has certainly changed but I don't remember it ever being this crazy.

I've also lived in NYC and Seattle. Chicago is still the craziest city I've lived in.

That's kinda the point/problem.

No bull****, I just feel bad for you at this point. At least twa, Kilmer, and others over the years have had a sense of humor. You're just played out and boring. Like on the evolutionary chain, you're a step up from a spambot.

Really not a fair statement. These cities have been under liberal control for decades. At some point, the other side get's to say, "your polices aren't working"

It's a completely fair statement considering that the problem extends beyond big cities and neither party has a position that greatly increases accountability in law enforcement.

No bull****, I just feel bad for you at this point. At least twa, Kilmer, and others over the years have had a sense of humor. You're just played out and boring. Like on the evolutionary chain, you're a step up from a spambot.

C just got real.

manny-gif.gif

At my business we have an extensive security camera system. Several times in the last few years, there have been instances where the police needed to view them in order to further an investigation. I've always let Fairfax's finest view whatever they needed to. Once, I allowed them to copy the file that had the video on it.

I would NEVER allow them to view my security footage without me or one of my colleagues present and I never volunteer to have them view my security footage.

It's strange that they had enough time to delete the security footage. If I was the business owner, I'd be suing the PD for destruction of property.

EDIT:

Oh, looks like this has already broken down into a dem vs rep argument... Great going guys. I'll see myself out.

At my business we have an extensive security camera system. Several times in the last few years, there have been instances where the police needed to view them in order to further an investigation. I've always let Fairfax's finest view whatever they needed to. Once, I allowed them to copy the file that had the video on it.

My guess is that a Burger King in a bad part of town is probably owned/operated by someone who immigrated to the US.  It's not like immigrants to really stick their necks out about this sort of stuff.  They probably let the police do whatever just to be good citizens and stay on the good side of the police.  I'm sure its in their best interests to be friendly with the cops in that part of town. (I'm saying this because my parents are immigrants and they operate more on the pragmatic side of things than on the "greater good" side of things).

My guess is that a Burger King in a bad part of town is probably owned/operated by someone who immigrated to the US. It's not like immigrants to really stick their necks out about this sort of stuff. They probably let the police do whatever just to be good citizens and stay on the good side of the police. I'm sure its in their best interests to be friendly with the cops in that part of town. (I'm saying this because my parents are immigrants and they operate more on the pragmatic side of things than on the "greater good" side of things).

I can see what you're saying. It's likely that they fear the police will no longer protect their business if they don't comply. That's sad.

Baltimore is the a clear example of failed liberal management.

That said, to say that putting a Republican in charge will fix anything is short sighted.

The correct answer is balance, but what does that mean?

In a perfect world:

It means cleaning up the corruption in the police force.

It means enforcing the laws and cleaning up the streets.

It means getting the youth educated and finding some jobs.

It means getting the media to be fair and balanced.  (No, real fair and balanced)

It means stop just handing out money to everyone.  Providing needed assistance is great, but dishing out tax payer dollars to worthless subjects is incorrect.

It means the people of the city have to change and clean up their streets, making their city liveable again.

It means just copying the security video from the owner or having them supply a copy of the video file for their investigation.

But, that is not a perfect world.

Besides Fresno (only becasue I know nothing about it) I'd pick any of those cities over Baltimore, DC or Chicago lol

Bull****.

If you would voluntarily chooses to live in Jacksonville over DC, you might be honestly be mentally disturbed.

Jacksonville is a zombie wasteland.

Arlington is literally a strip mall and stadium with a crime problem. It has all the crime of a big city without any of the culture. Delightful.

Indy has terrible winters and a ton of white people. I would fall asleep just thinking of living in that city.

San Diego has good weather and I love CA. But when you are not in the top 5 places in your own state to live? Blah.

I know nothing about Fresno. Usually if my first impression is a blank stare - it's not a great sign.

ABQ has one of the highest violent crimes per person anywhere in the country. If you have DC, Baltimore and Chicago because of crime - ABQ does make a ton of sense. NM is cool though. Santa Fe is better. Good for a long weekend.

Yes, sadly, it is completely a party issue.

In every large city where crime is a major problem and people are being killed/assaulted/robbed w/weapons, you can take a close look at the folks who run the city.

Mayor - Democrat, City Council - Democrat, Local Officials - Democrat.

You want to pretend that the Democrats are all for the poor, unjust, and needy.  In reality, they promote policies that keep these inner city folks dependent on local and federal government and still suffer the highest crime rates, from in their own neighborhoods.

In every large city where crime is a major problem and people are being killed/assaulted/robbed w/weapons, you can take a close look at the folks who run the city.

You want to pretend that the Democrats are all for the poor, unjust, and needy.  In reality, they promote policies that keep these inner city folks dependent on local and federal government and still suffer the highest crime rates, from in their own neighborhoods.

You're in a thread about police officers erasing video footage of a police shooting and discussing violent crime in general and partisan politics.  Was your hope to prove that your party had some answers?  All you've done is shown yourself to be entirely blind to the issue. 

You're in a thread about police officers erasing video footage of a police shooting and discussing violent crime in general and partisan politics.  Was your hope to prove that your party had some answers?  All you've done is shown yourself to be entirely blind to the issue. 

it's the culture of corruption.

erased like Hillary's servers?.....nothing to see here, they can testify to that.

it's the culture of corruption.

erased like Hillary's servers?.....nothing to see here, they can testify to that.

If you're hoping I'm going to champion democrats on the issue of police corruption, I'm going to disappoint you.  On this issue (and others) the democrats give a little bit better lip service and the republican position is "yeehaw shoot them all!"  In practice there is too little difference. 

I don't really think anyone can seriously argue that police playing fast and loose with the rules is a issue tied to any one city or county.  It's a national issue and has been for a while.  It's only now starting to get attention because there have been a few riots and high profile cases.  

When police unions blame the city for not giving them the unchecked power to enforce laws and keep citizens "safe", the Democrats running the city get blamed.  This is what happened in NYC a few weeks ago.

When the police grossly abuse the powers they do have and destroy evidence to cover their own disgusting behavior, the Democrats running the city get blamed again.

You can have one of those arguments but not both.

If you're hoping I'm going to champion democrats on the issue of police corruption, I'm going to disappoint you.  On this issue (and others) the democrats give a little bit better lip service and the republican position is "yeehaw shoot them all!"  In practice there is too little difference. 

I don't really think anyone can seriously argue that police playing fast and loose with the rules is a issue tied to any one city or county.  It's a national issue and has been for a while.  It's only now starting to get attention because there have been a few riots and high profile cases.  

Honestly, I used to believe the whole argument that some suspects acted in a way that made them look suspicious and that's why the cops took special attention to them.  

Then, I was working late one night with a black coworker who had some crazy stories about run-ins with the police.  Mind you, I'm an Indian guy who studied in engineering in college, so I don't exactly work with a lot of "thugs." This guy grew up in a well-to-do household and had been through some pretty horrible things because he was driving his dad's car around town and "there's no way that guy should be driving that car."  This was stuff along the lines of getting pulled over for going 5 mph over and then having the cops make him stand spread eagle behind the car while they spent an hour searching for drugs.

Archived