Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mashable: Cancer charities allegedly misused $187 million for concerts and dating sites, U.S. says

Zguy28

Cancer charities allegedly misused $187 million for concerts and dating sites, U.S. says

http://mashable.com/2015/05/19/cancer-charity-scam/

Four cancer charities allegedly used more than $187 million in donations to buy cars, luxury cruises, concert tickets and even dating memberships for families and friends. It is one of the largest charity fraud accusations ever leveled in the U.S.

Law enforcement from all 50 states and the District of Columbia, along with the Federal Trade Commission, are charging Cancer Fund of America, Cancer Support Services, Children's Cancer Fund of America and the Breast Cancer Society and some of their executives with taking money that donors had given to help cancer patients and using it to on themselves as well as their families and friends.

The money was used to give employment to friends and family as well as on "cars, trips, luxury cruises, college tuition gym memberships, jet ski outings, sporting event and concert tickets, and dating site memberships. They hired professional fundraisers who often received 85 percent or more of every donation," the FTC said in a press release.

Rest at link.

:(

Hardly a surprise.

Charity begins at home, and that's where it stays if you're smart.

If there's a disaster, donate water, canned food. There's always something local helping with relief efforts that is not asking for money.

Donate a dollar, and you're one of P.T. Barnum's minutemen.

~Bang

I missed the part where people were going to jail and paying back millions they stole. Could someone point me to that information? Surely a nation that sent teachers to prison for cheating on tests wouldn't allow people that stole nearly 200 million intended to help those with cancer simply agree to close up shop (costing a lot of innocent people their jobs) and pay small fines.

I missed the part where people were going to jail and paying back millions they stole. Could someone point me to that information? Surely a nation that sent teachers to prison for cheating on tests wouldn't allow people that stole nearly 200 million intended to help those with cancer simply agree to close up shop (costing a lot of innocent people their jobs) and pay small fines.

It's a corporation not an individual. 

The reason I don't donate directly to any charity "corporation".  I am essentially paying peoples salary and expenses.

I donate direct or not at all.

I'm certain that I've mentioned this, probably 25 times. 

But I've heard, on numerous different occasions, in different decades, (although, I confess, not recently), reports from people who rate various charities, on the bases of "What percentage of your money actually goes to what the charity says, and what percentage goes to overhead (including salaries, and soliciting for more funds)?" 

And they always say that, near the top of the best charities, is The Salvation Army.  Something like 97% of the money you drop in their bucket actually gets spent on helping poor people. 

this is why i donate time or items, not money.

the worst part is the number of organizations that have made their way into checkout lines. Want to add a dollar or two or five or ten to your purchase to support <insert innocent person type/animal> dealing with <insert awful sounding issue>? I feel like that's all part of the money grab for stuff like this...

wait...

Three individuals — Rose Perkins, James Reynolds II and Kyle Effler — have agreed to a settlement that bans them from participating in any future fundraising activity. Children’s Cancer Fund of America and the Breast Cancer Society will also be dissolved as part of the agreement.

Is that it?!

No wonder this happens. There's never any punishment for this crap. These people need to be thrown in jail. As do the people knowingly working for them to scam the rest of us.

I'm growing increasingly tired of the lack of accountability for people.

Cancer Fund of America has been known as a scam charity for about 20 years now.

You need to take five minutes to research who you are giving to.   "American Cancer Society" is completely different than "Cancer Fund of America."  

No wonder this happens. There's never any punishment for this crap. These people need to be thrown in jail. As do the people knowingly working for them to scam the rest of us.

I'm growing increasingly tired of the lack of accountability for people.

First you have to figure out exactly what crime they committed.   Getting gullible people to give you money isn't a crime unless you flat-out lie to them.   

Volunteerism has been a part of my life since I was a kid. I love seeing any family make it a part of what they do. There is no better way to give than to go right out where you live and help people directly with your basic time and labors along with offering any actual skills needed. Joining local agencies that you know are understaffed or underfunded avoids most of the "just giving money" issues, but even if giving money, doing it locally (and I appeal for both secular and religious orgs---don't starve one or the other out of attitude/belief-bias) is a good way to avoid "large corporate charity" pitfalls.

The thing is, there are a lot of humans that seem to be wired up so that those "big" charities are the main (or only) way they give much. Those outfits still accomplish more good than if they didn't exist, even with all the $ they siphon off in the name of overhead. But it would sure be nice to see them as diligent with proper usage of the funds they get as they are in presenting the needs of their cause. Hard to understand the moral and ethical make-up of those who would genuinely (not an outright scammer) solicit funds for such work and then be either unintentionally or intentionally wasteful (let alone self-profit) with the money.

The thing is, there are a lot of humans that seem to be wired up so that those "big" charities are the main (or only) way they give much. Those outfits still accomplish more good than if they didn't exist, even with all the $ they siphon off in the name of overhead. But it would sure be nice to see them as diligent with proper usage of the funds they get as they are in presenting the needs of their cause. Hard to understand the moral and ethical make-up of those who would genuinely (not an outright scammer) solicit funds for such work and then be either unintentionally or intentionally wasteful (let alone self-profit) with the money.

Not directly to this part of the quote.

Unfortunately, many people work for non-profits...that wouldn't.

I've always felt that giving my time and efforts was very rewarding.

Some folks care, but they want money for it.

It's absolutely ridiculous and pathetic that these scum who ripped off so many won't be going to jail. I just can't fathom it. I guess the best punishment at this point is for all those responsible to eventually get cancer.

Not directly to this part of the quote.

Unfortunately, many people work for non-profits...that wouldn't.

I've always felt that giving my time and efforts was very rewarding.

Some folks care, but they want money for it.

One of my best friends works for a national charity.   She works hard, is grossly underpaid, and is completely necessary to the mission of the charity.   But she still counts as "overhead."    Some overhead is always necessary.  

But some charities are just moneymaking scams.

Here's one list.   Note that "Cancer Fund of America" and "National Cancer Coalition" both sound so similar to the legitimate  "American Cancer Society".  Same with "Kids Wish Foundation"  and Childrens Wish Foundation International," which sound oh so similar to the legitimate "Make A Wish Foundation."   and so on.

http://www.tampabay.com/americas-worst-charities/

Real charities are vital and deserve your support.   Doing the research to give to the right one is not that hard anymore.

One of my best friends works for a national charity.   She works hard, is grossly underpaid, and is completely necessary to the mission of the charity.   But she still counts as "overhead."    Some overhead is always necessary.  

But some charities are just moneymaking scams.

Here's one list.   Note that "Cancer Fund of America" and "National Cancer Coalition" both sound so similar to the legitimate  "American Cancer Society".  Same with "Kids Wish Foundation"  and Childrens Wish Foundation International," which sound oh so similar to the legitimate "Make A Wish Foundation."   and so on.

http://www.tampabay.com/americas-worst-charities/

Real charities are vital and deserve your support.   Doing the research to give to the right one is not that hard anymore.

Not hard for you and I. Not so much for the Baby Boomers like my folks who are technologically challenged.

As a dad of a kid who had leukemia (~3.5 years in remission), these stories make me upset/depressed because I worry that there will be some who might stop, or never start, contributing to worthwhile charities.  Our family was blessed to be involved of some fantastic charities that really made that difficult journey a little bit easier.  Some of them were local (Believe in Tomorrow, Casey Cares), others were international (Make-a-Wish) and some weren't even charities (companies that sent our daughter gifts, gave our family tickets to Nats, Hoyas, etc.).  We donate to some of these charities now, even though we can never repay what we've received. 

Funny thing is, any time now that I'm asked (like at checkout counter) if I'd like to donate to a charity (as long as I know it's legit, like St. Jude's, Salvation Army, MAW, etc.) I donate at least a buck.

There are fantastic charities out there (many), that do incredible work and really will renew your faith in mankind.  It makes me weepy to think of all the good they did for us (and more importantly our daughter) and how incredible many of the volunteers were.  There are obviously websites that rate charities, and I would recommend ones that have less than 5-10% fundraising costs and same for administrative, but that's just MO. 

I know it's asking a lot, but it would be nice if the Ted Wells investigatory resources could have been spent on something like this (charity fraud) vice the deflated footballs effort.  I'd like to believe people who undertake these scams "get theirs".

Sorry to be so cynical, pointy..  stories like yours make me regret the attitude all of this sort of thing gives me, and for every person ripping off everyone, I know there's a hundred people who legitimately need help. I truly do not want to turn my back on folks who need.

Never know when it may be you or someone you love.

It's just hard to wade through so much graft, and in my life, i just don't have the money to be able to risk taking care of some fraudulent huckster as opposed what I think i'm assisting.

Fortunately, the tax breaks for donations to legit organizations will keep giving to charities alive.

Again, I'm personally sorry for my hardened heart. I know folks like you and your family did nothing to earn it.

~John

Ironically I got a call from "a paid fund raiser" (who sounded like Selma from Night Court) on behalf of the United Cancer Society or something similar last night. I said "I don't give to charities that cold call me or that I haven't done research on." Her reply was " I've heard that a lot lately..."

Archived