Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Non-Winter Weather Thread

d0ublestr0ker0ll

Except this one is actually due to Joaquin :P so my post still stands. Screw Joaquin and his entire family

It's actually due to a low pressure system separate from Joaquin. Joaquin fed it some moisture today when he made contact with the jet stream, but the low made (and is still making) a hell of a lot more rain on its own.

Storms are still firing up off the Carolina coasts, damn man. They're getting wrecked. Thank goodness the hurricane didn't hit them, it's looks to have reached a little too far south to get flung up there. It would've been unprecidented. Would've been a concoction of historic storm systems. If you look at the gif above, you can see a low pressure air mass over top of Joaquin. The idea is that it will ride up the east side of that, instead of getting caught in the northerly flow on the coast.

DC area has a giant band of rain inbound overnight.

3:50 AM update- my dog with a rain phobia woke me up. :(

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Storms are still firing up off the Carolina coasts, damn man. They're getting wrecked. Thank goodness the hurricane didn't hit them, it's looks to have reached a little too far south to get flung up there. 

Streets flood in Charleston frequently from the run-of-the-mill torrential summer thunderstorm.  The rains they're getting could be catastrophic when you throw in high tide. :(   

I'd never live in the Lowcountry 8 feet above sea level , nice to visit but after almost losing our car to street flooding last year in Charleston I wouldn't recommend it as a place to relocate. 

I have friends less than a mile away that only got power back last night.  There is no way to leave their homes without being evacuated by the national guard.  I would post pictures and such but all the ones from Weather.com and CNN are all the ones within a mile. It didn't help that we had a really large moon earlier in the week that caused localized flooding downtown (even when it wasn't raining).

**and it's the damned snakes that are getting to me.  I have flood planes in my back yard.  Nowhere for the snakes to go but up.  Last thing I need is for a poisonous one to nab one of my dogs.

Edited by Roger.Staubach

It's unbelievable how there was a spout of storms aimed right at SC for days straight. Like god dropped the hose on its handle and it kept spraying in to one area. If there's a way to go back and watch that entire timeline on radar, I'd like to see it. I was saying "enough already!" a while before it ended.

Grass around here was dying beforehand. Was dry as heck for a long time. Now it's dark green and needs a mowing, lol.

Grass around here was dying beforehand. Was dry as heck for a long time. Now it's dark green and needs a mowing, lol.

We've got grass coming back in bald spots...almost 3 whole weeks of rain here in ATL. Looking forward to drying out...forecast is a dry week in the mid-70s. Rock on.

I have friends less than a mile away that only got power back last night.  There is no way to leave their homes without being evacuated by the national guard.  I would post pictures and such but all the ones from Weather.com and CNN are all the ones within a mile. It didn't help that we had a really large moon earlier in the week that caused localized flooding downtown (even when it wasn't raining).

**and it's the damned snakes that are getting to me.  I have flood planes in my back yard.  Nowhere for the snakes to go but up.  Last thing I need is for a poisonous one to nab one of my dogs.

Not sure this will help with all the rain and water but when we lived in Charleston we would put lye down and they do not like it. 

It's unbelievable how there was a spout of storms aimed right at SC for days straight. Like god dropped the hose on its handle and it kept spraying in to one area. If there's a way to go back and watch that entire timeline on radar, I'd like to see it. I was saying "enough already!" a while before it ended.

I have been keeping to tracks of all my friends and family in Charleston.  So sad!

At least its lightening up drastically for the mid-Atlantic. SC could have a pretty rainy weekend, but outside of that it looks nice. Chance of rain for the DC area friday when a cold front will cool us off close to 20 degrees. Chilly Saturday, low 60s for a high. Sunday will warm back up to about 70.

Mothballs keep snakes away also.

That is a new one!  My parents house had a swamp 300 yards or so behind it and out house before that had the Ashley River 1/2 mile in front so we always had to watch for snakes

If you're in the DC metro area today? I cannot express how beautiful autumn is here; its my favorite season... but you want to hear something that's crazy? Days like today? The weather is like this every day in Bogota

Edited by RedBeast

Massive Mudslide, Flash Flood Shuts Down Grapevine On I-5 In Both Directions

FORT TEJON (CBS SF) — A massive mudslide and flash flood has forced the shut down of the Grapevine on Interstate 5 in both directions near Castaic.

Traffic was being diverted but hundreds of drivers were stranded, trapped by rocks, mud and debris that flowed onto the highway.

The flooding began during the afternoon commute.

According to KCAL 9 “at least 6 cars were swallowed up by mud.”

Click on the link for the full article