Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some More Cops Who Need to Be Fired

Dan T.

Honestly though, to this day, I have more than a healthy fear of law enforcement when I'm pulled over (and not a fear of being shot). I fit no stereotype and would be in the 'less likely to get shot demographic' depending on what you read. I have a brother in law enforcement as well as multiple friends. Still...

I get very cordial. Would never consider getting a video phone out. Always sir or miss or officer, even if they're my junior by decades. Frankly, I don't think that's the prevailing behavior in most of these events.

I'm not justifying unnecessary force. But 2 things:

1. If you did nothing wrong and yessir'em, probably not gonna get shot.

2. If you even have a tail light out, why are you trying to have discourse with officer. Either accept ticket and yessir'em or go to jail and yessir'em. 

Just seems like a lot of people want to become instant lawyers or constitutional experts or civil crusaders. Life isn't always fair, but once you're actually in the radar, just seems like a better career choice to not instigate. One of the parties has a handgun, the other a phone.  

That 'kid' in the video above aiming a phone at a cop branding a gun... eligible for Darwin award IMO. If I'm the cop and unholstered my weapon and in my peripheral vision see something pointed at me, uh yea, may react in fashion that sees weapon discharged. My instincts tell me if someone is holding a gun 2 feet from me, full submission mode, not point something in their face mode.

Edited by Bonez3
  • Like 1

I'm not trying to say that people who don't call the cop "sir" should get shot. I'm just going to point out a list of things that the guy who got shot could have done to not get shot, while not once mentioning that maybe the guy who pulled a gun, aimed, and fired it could have not done that.

Just thought I'd summarize your post, there.  Paraphrased it a little.  But accurately. 

Just thought I'd summarize your post, there.  Paraphrased it a little.  But accurately. 

Completely fair paraphrase... in an unfair world.

Listen, self preservation is generally a trait all God's creatures possess. You're rearranging or paraphrasing my statement is an accurate depiction of what I'm saying. 

So, if action A reduces your likelihood of being shot and action B increases it... Choose action A.

And yea, cops can be scary, some may even kill you. Just reinforces position A. You really can't control the guy with the gun on the other end once 'you're on the radar'. 

Edited by Bonez3
  • Like 3

So, if action A reduces your likelihood of being shot and action B increases it... Choose action A.

There's not always a choice though. Let's be real, cops lie and issue threats. They'll even go as far as to purposefully agitate you so they can arrest you for some kind of resisting arrest BS. 

They use their knowledge of the law to circumnavigate it and then use that against you. In most professions that kind of behavior is illegal with harsh penalties. (maybe not banking  ;) ) Being a cop isn't an honest profession, which is why many people don't ****ing like cops. 

Has a cop ever lied to you, tried to threaten you? Like, to search your car for example? When that happens, you better go into super lawyer 5000 mode, or your ass is sitting on the curb for a cpl hours while you watch the police rip up your interior. That happened to me when I was a teen and to this day it still pisses me off. Not at the police, but at myself because I was a scared kid and didn't know my rights; I believed the cops threats and lies. Good lord my dad **** a brick when I came home late with the car ripped up.

• Like 2

Yea... I wouldn't suggest 'giving up your rights'. But, aiming a phone at a cop who is brandishing a weapon in your direction is simply asinine. 

I'm not blind to the fact the cops are abusive, overstep their authority and can be complete douchebags, But that knowledge is why I suggest exercising what I would consider sense God gave a mule. I just think allowing for the power trip to play out in 30 minute period and be on your way. Especially if you've done nothing wrong.

I know it sucks and will leave a bad taste. But, please, explain how aiming that phone is somebody's face who has loaded weapon makes any sense. Just seems like an unnecessary reason to increase your own mortality rate.

http://www.democracynow.org/2016/7/8/headlines/ramsey_orta_who_filmed_eric_garner_s_death_to_serve_4_years_in_jail

Ramsey Orta, who Filmed Eric Garner’s Death, to Serve 4 Years in Jail

In New York City, Ramsey Orta, who filmed the police killing of Eric Garner, is slated to go to jail for four years — making him the only person at the scene of Eric Garner’s killing who will serve jail time. On Wednesday, Orta took a plea deal on weapons and drug charges. He says he has been repeatedly arrested and harassed by cops since he filmed the fatal police chokehold nearly two years ago.

Edited by visionary

But he said "he's got a gun!" That makes murder legal right?

He also said " He's going for his gun ! " if that makes any difference.

And after being shot twice, apparently tries to get up, is told to get on the ground ( again ), and then is shot three more times by the officer who is lying on his back.

Edited by Spearfeather
  • Like 1

If the cop who shot Alton Sterling is not formally charged with murder by Friday I don't know what to say.

That was nothing short of an execution style killing.

And if Louisiana is a death penalty state, it needs to be a capitol case.

The reach for his gun is questionable but it seems like he is resisting arrest.

But I've only seen the video.

Had a friend tell me (decades ago, in Virginia), that he had been advised by an attorney that, if you get pulled over, and you're drunk, that you should pull over, refuse to roll down your window and refuse to speak to the cop in any way. 

Said that, legally, if you were in your car, and you're not moving, then supposedly you have almost the same rights that you have when you're in your house.  And that one of those rights is that they can't come in and get you without a warrant. 

Supposedly, if you refuse to get out of the car, then the cop has to radio back to the station, and they have to get a magistrate or a judge out of bed, and the cop has to swear out a complaint against you, and the judge has to issue a warrant, and then they have to drive the warrant out to your location, and then they can come in and get you. 

(And, the attorney said, if you haven't sobered up enough to be legal, when that happens, then God help you, cause they're going to throw the book at you.) 

I kinda filed that away in the same category:  "You try it.  Let me know how it works out." 

My wife works for the best DUI attorney in Anne Arundel County in MD.  This is exactly what you do.

You don't give them anything.  Now in MD they will suspend your license for refusing the breathalyzer.  But your attorney doesn't have to defend what you blow.  Say nothing, do nothing, and ask for an attorney.

My wife works for the best DUI attorney in Anne Arundel County in MD.  This is exactly what you do.

You don't give them anything.  Now in MD they will suspend your license for refusing the breathalyzer.  But your attorney doesn't have to defend what you blow.  Say nothing, do nothing, and ask for an attorney.

Most states are implied consent these days.

Meaning if you don't provide a breath or blood sample then yes, you will be charged with DUI and you will have your DL suspended as well.

Not quite the same rights you'd have in your house at all, especially if you were observed to be moving prior to pulling over.

• Like 1

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/06/cleveland-ohio-what-works-police-violence-shooting-tamir-rice-cuyahoga-black-lives-matter-213968

One night in February, a black preacher put the prosecutors on trial.

It had been two months since the prosecutor’s office in Cleveland’s Cuyahoga County persuaded a grand jury not to indict a white police officer who had shot and killed Tamir Rice, a 12-year-old boy, in a city park.

Now the prosecutor was running for reelection, and with the primary a month away, the Rev. Jawanza Karriem Lightfoot Colvin saw an opportunity to indict a judicial system that he had come to believe was rigged against black people. He and the activist group he co-founded summoned the two candidates—embattled county prosecutor Tim McGinty and challenger Mike O’Malley—to a forum at a synagogue in a Cleveland suburb.

There, Colvin thundered like judge, jury and executioner: “If you were young, poor, a minority of color, or one who lived in the city, you were profiled, arrested, charged, indicted, convicted and sentenced at an alarming, disproportionate level.” His preacher’s cadence brought the crowd of 1,000 at the Anshe Chesed Fairmount Temple to its feet—black and white, Jewish and Christian.

“We want action now! We want change now! We want reform now!” Colvin proclaimed. “Not next year, not next election! Not ’til the next death, the next tragedy, the next trial, the next press conference! We want it now!”

Edited by visionary

Most states are implied consent these days.

Meaning if you don't provide a breath or blood sample then yes, you will be charged with DUI and you will have your DL suspended as well.

I know for an absolute fact that this is the law in GA.

Back in the 80s, I made 'em drive me to the Naval Hospital, and subsequently, lost a few percentage points. (Hail to the system, yay, huh?)

• Like 1

I know for an absolute fact that this is the law in GA.

Back in the 80s, I made 'em drive me to the Naval Hospital, and subsequently, lost a few percentage points. (Hail to the system, yay, huh?)

Shoot, when I was out in Washington state... their laws are such that you could have a six pack in your car and if it was opened (even if ONE can had come out of those old plastic holders - remember those!?) they could charge you with DUI.