Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some More Cops Who Need to Be Fired

Dan T.

“I saw this in Baghdad. We’ve seen it again in Afghanistan," recalled Cotton, who served in the Army during both wars. "Security has to come first, whether you’re in a war zone or whether you’re in the United States of America.”

so similar.

Umm, the three girls were in a stolen car. They had 7 felonies for vehicle theft. They lost control and went into the swamp. Why, exactly, do the cops deserve to be fired for this? Video supports the cops making a cursory effort to get the girls. The cops are under no obligation to risk their lives diving into murky swamp water to try to save their lives.

Yeah I'm not sure this is really along the lines of some of the other articles in this thread. I'm the kind of softy who believes there is something redeemable in everyone, but I can't really fault those cops at all. Edited by dfitzo53

Not surprised.  Police and prison lobbies are starting to get concerned about loss of revenue.  The country favors reform to jail less people and pot is being legalized all over the place reducing the cash cow even further. 

This year, Californians will vote on a ballot measure that could legalize weed recreationally in the state. Many of the groups donating money to fight the legalization effort represent police and corrections officers. Why do you think that might be?

The Intercept dug up a disclosure filing showing donations from several state law enforcement and corrections associations to a lobbying group called the Coalition for Responsible Drug Policies, which raised $60,000 in the first three months of this year with the aim of beating legalization. Keeping cannabis illegal is good business for the cops, and these groups are probably not solely concerned with the placid horrors of weed addiction. For instance: The Department of Justice gives grants to police departments for fighting drugs, including marijuana; cops can use asset forfeiture to seize cash and gear from dealers and keep it for themselves; more people in jail for pot possession or dealing means greater demand and more job opportunities for prison guards. If pot is legalized, all of those revenue streams suddenly dry up.

http://gawker.com/california-cops-are-fighting-weed-legalization-because-1777377838?utm_campaign=socialflow_gawker_facebook&utm_source=gawker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

A lot of law makers are going to be singing "under incarceration" tune soon enough.  Officers, guards, administrators, owners of private prisons, and the unions that exist to serve that industry are not going to shrink quietly. 

• Like 1

Yeah I'm not sure this is really along the lines of some of the other articles in this thread. I'm the kind of softy who believes there is something redeemable in everyone, but I can't really fault those cops at all.

Don't get me wrong, no teenager deserves to die for committing a non-violent crime. But expecting cops to drown trying to save them? They stripped and went in the water. Nothing else you can ask for.

Umm, the three girls were in a stolen car. They had 7 felonies for vehicle theft. They lost control and went into the swamp. Why, exactly, do the cops deserve to be fired for this? Video supports the cops making a cursory effort to get the girls. The cops are under no obligation to risk their lives diving into murky swamp water to try to save their lives.

I agree.  Wading into a muddy swamp in the dark is just not something you can expect cops to do.  Mud to get stuck in, poisonous snakes, and alligators plus the normal reasons why attempting a water rescue in the dark without proper gear and training is widely considered a bad idea.  It's sad those girls had to die for stealing a car, but the fact that it's sad doesn't mean that police are responsible. 

WASHINGTON — As Chase Sherman was returning home with his parents and fiancée from his brother’s wedding in November, he began to hallucinate. Apparently reacting to synthetic marijuana he had taken days earlier, he bit his girlfriend and tried to jump out of the back seat of the car as the family drove through Georgia toward Florida.

About an hour outside Atlanta, at mile marker 55 on Interstate 85, his fiancée pulled over the car and his mother called the police, hoping they would help calm Mr. Sherman, 32. Less than a half-hour later, Mr. Sherman, who worked at a family-owned parasailing business on the Gulf Coast, was dead.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/21/us/chase-sherman-video-georgia.html?_r=0

Another example reinforcing the idea that if someone you love is having a mental illness situation and you don't want them hurt, charged with crimes, and potentially killed... be sure to handle it yourself. 

• Like 1

Well, that article leaves quite a bit open. He wrestled the taser away from the officers. Which is why they deployed a second taser. An EMT assisted in subduing him, and assisted trying to resuscitate him. I'm not sure what to make of this story.

EDIT: I REALLY don't like the fact both cops are wearing body cameras and the video in the story only shows from when the taser is deployed. There is a LOT of context leading up to that point missing. The cop on the passenger side has his hands on the guy already and is in a struggle when the taser is deployed. Why not include the full length video, NYTimes? And why claim it has been condensed but altered in no other way? You know it presents only a portion of the story. And you fill in the rest with words from a lawyer?

Edited by Popeman38

Well, that article leaves quite a bit open. He wrestled the taser away from the officers. Which is why they deployed a second taser. An EMT assisted in subduing him, and assisted trying to resuscitate him. I'm not sure what to make of this story.

Yeah, I wasn't necessarily coming down on the cops yet.  I do think it's odd that after a call that results in deployment of weapons and a death the officers are right back on the street.

Maybe I'm off base with that, but it's not how I would've thought things would operate.

Yeah, I wasn't necessarily coming down on the cops yet. I do think it's odd that after a call that results in deployment of weapons and a death the officers are right back on the street.

Maybe I'm off base with that, but it's not how I would've thought things would operate.

We don't know what the rest of the video shows. It could show they followed the procedures established for escalation of force and then things just ended badly. People die in custody occasionally from no fault of the officers.

I just mean even in terms of not putting the officers in the position to, say, encounter an angry citizen who recognizes them from the article. I would think they'd pull them off the beat for at least a few days while they sort things out.

Just saying that's what I would've assumed would happen.

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of the worst videos I've ever seen. I hope this cop gets BRUTALLY beaten in prison (he was sentenced to 4 years). what this POS does to the kid is 100% ego.

watch to the end.

Edited by Chew

That video really pissed me off. Here are all the things that cop did wrong:

- demanded the kid roll his passenger window all the way down, when that isn't a lawful request or requirement. 

- refused to tell the kid why he was being arrested. 

- tazed him way longer than he is lawfully supposed to taze a suspect. 

- then unceremoniously dropped him on his face, which could've killed him because he was unconscious, with zero regards to his well-being. 

- filed a false police report afterwards, because you know, **** a dashcam he can do what he wants. 

This PoS only got 4 years. 

• Like 1

He was sentenced to 4 years in jail.   Not just given a leave of absence, or fired, or sanctioned.   he was sentenced to jail  

And i don't think a "regular person" would've been sentenced to as much as 4 years for that level of assault.  (which is appropriate, because he not only assaulted, but abused authority to do so)

• Like 1

The 17 year old kid suffered permanent brain damage from that. Just ftr

Exactly. 4 years of his life in prison versus permanently brain damaged. Who got the easier result? 

Btw, the maximum sentence was 10 years, he didn't even get half of that. 

Edited by Gamebreaker
  • Like 1

That video really pissed me off. Here are all the things that cop did wrong:

- demanded the kid roll his passenger window all the way down, when that isn't a lawful request or requirement.

- refused to tell the kid why he was being arrested.

- tazed him way longer than he is lawfully supposed to taze a suspect.

- then unceremoniously dropped him on his face, which could've killed him because he was unconscious, with zero regards to his well-being.

- filed a false police report afterwards, because you know, **** a dashcam he can do what he wants.

This PoS only got 4 years.

I'd be surprised if you were right about the first 2 points.

I don't know how the taser works as far as how long it's actually tasing, and obviously the drop on his face as he's cuffed is completely indefensible.

Up til the dragging and dropping him on his face, I'll say that the kid was virtually completely uncooperative. Wouldn't roll the (apparently very tinted) window down when asked several times, wouldn't get out of the car, asked several times.

This in no way makes what the cop did

right.

4 years means out in less than 2 really.

Violent offenders have to serve mandatory half the sentence in some states. Not sure about this one, or if the offense is actually considered 'violent' despite the obvious.

Violent offenders have to serve mandatory half the sentence in some states. Not sure about this one, or if the offense is actually considered 'violent' despite the obvious.

9 months in a half way house or something similar like house arrest. 

Still technically serving.