Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

See - I don't mind that. It's a 15-minute segment at 1pm for the hands-down #1 team in the area. I think creative ways to weave Redskins into the show are pretty cool. If Redskins-at-One lasted the entire hour then it would suck, but one segment is bearable since there are a lot of people who care about football year-round.

It's funny, they call it Redskins at 1, but that never stops them from spending 75% if the show on them.

Who is mostly listening to the radio at 10-11 am other than old people?

I listen at my desk at work. I think there's a lot of people that listen to sports talk while they working.

The guy at DCRTV said Tony actually gets really good ratings and probably is popular in the target demographic, whatever that might be. That being said, if I'm in the mood to listen he can be entertaining. Otherwise, when I have the chance to listen during the day, I skip him and the Sheahan-Loverro nightmare.

I bet it's almost entirely because of PTI, which I'm sure is big in the demo.

Lol I'll be sure to duck behind something after saying this...

I actually like Feinstein. I used to like his appearances on The Junkies when I heard them every Friday and I enjoyed his last book. Matter of fact, I recommend it to any big baseball fan.

Lol I'll be sure to duck behind something after saying this...

I actually like Feinstein. I used to like his appearances on The Junkies when I heard them every Friday and I enjoyed his last book. Matter of fact, I recommend it to any big baseball fan.

boo_this_man_half_baked.gif

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

listening to the end of the sports fix makes me sad. that was by far my favorite show. I get many of you hate/don't like Sheehan or think he's dumb. I get that he went on a "shanahan is the greatest" campaign and lost many of you. he was obviously one of the first people to recognize the Griffin Issue and speak about it, which also lost others. And that, even if that didn't do it for you, there are other reasons people don't like him or think he's any good.

but i loved that show :(

i guess the new morning show will be good.

It's funny - none of the changes are really worrying me. It's mostly because the main characters are all back, just being reshuffled. I also LOVE the fact that we will have all local coverage. 

Considering how good the local hockey and baseball teams are, that seems to be a good thing. There will always be interest in the Wizards due to the rich basketball history in DC. And, then there's the Skins...they could probably fill 17 hours per day with Redskin coverage if they wanted to. 

The only things I don't love about the new lineup:

- Kornheiser getting the lunch slot...he drives me nuts and is unlistenable. That's actually a time I'm able to listen to 980. 

- Galdi being on so early. I love Galdi but can't justify getting up that early to listen to him. 

I'm great with everything else. 

For me it wasn't the fact that he criticized Griffin or

* Whoops, got sidetracked. Basically it was me having a longstanding issue with the Nasally One, and Sheehan harping on the Griffin/Shanahan issue for as long as he did, even inviting Shanahan on the air. To me that was just out of bounds.

You can have all your dumb opinions, but the obsession with that stuff (for several years) just became downright offensive.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

listening to the end of the sports fix makes me sad. that was by far my favorite show. I get many of you hate/don't like Sheehan or think he's dumb. I get that he went on a "shanahan is the greatest" campaign and lost many of you. he was obviously one of the first people to recognize the Griffin Issue and speak about it, which also lost others. And that, even if that didn't do it for you, there are other reasons people don't like him or think he's any good.

but i loved that show :(

i guess the new morning show will be good.

Agreed. I really like Sheehan and Loverro grew on me over the years(he's also the only guy on 980 who knows anything about baseball).

I don't like Sheehan being on so early. I'm also not sure how much chemistry he'll have with Cooley.

I don't like Locker Room with B Mitch and Doc being three hours. I find myself tuning out when they're on now as it is, so now its three hours of dead time instead of just two.

• Like 1

I've been on record as bashing Grant and Danny but I've recently downloaded their Quick Pitch podcast and I like what I hear so far. Grant is professional from what I can tell and can move topics along quickly. Danny is hilarious at times and is able to bring that fast wit. Now I can't listen to them for four hours every day as I don't have the time (I know they podcast their show too but 4 hours of podcasts of the same duo all day, I can't do that) 

They're tolerable in small doses, but I usually like to hear a variety of voices during my workday, not just one. 

So why is Mark Stern out at 980?

Do you mean Nigel? 

It's funny - none of the changes are really worrying me. It's mostly because the main characters are all back, just being reshuffled. I also LOVE the fact that we will have all local coverage. 

Considering how good the local hockey and baseball teams are, that seems to be a good thing. There will always be interest in the Wizards due to the rich basketball history in DC. And, then there's the Skins...they could probably fill 17 hours per day with Redskin coverage if they wanted to. 

The only things I don't love about the new lineup:

- Kornheiser getting the lunch slot...he drives me nuts and is unlistenable. That's actually a time I'm able to listen to 980. 

- Galdi being on so early. I love Galdi but can't justify getting up that early to listen to him. 

I'm great with everything else. 

Kornheiser is hilarious. We've been over this before, his wit and sarcasm are unparalleled in this city. He has the ability to broach a wide variety of topics from the Wiz to the Nats to the Redskins to the political landscape to movies and culture. 

Kornheiser is hilarious. We've been over this before, his wit and sarcasm are unparalleled in this city. He has the ability to broach a wide variety of topics from the Wiz to the Nats to the Redskins to the political landscape to movies and culture. 

I know that he's smart, but he shouldn't take up 2 hours in the middle of the day on a SPORTS station. It's just my opinion. If he's on WTOP, I'm happy. 

• Like 1

My issues with Sheehan isn't with him being one of the first two turn on Griffin, but how easily he got into the muck with Loverro and Pollin in basically being Official Griffin Haters. Over analyzing every tweet or post game comment. I thought that type of behavior on the air was beneath Kevin, but I was wrong.

That still pales in comparison to his Shanahan slurping on air. It is sickening, and makes it so obvious that any inside information he received about Robert came directly from this team's biggest snitch, the former head coach himself.

• Like 2

Do you mean Nigel?

No? Sheehan said he'll miss stern and lovero. But he didn't comment on where either was going (or why)

I know that he's smart, but he shouldn't take up 2 hours in the middle of the day on a SPORTS station. It's just my opinion. If he's on WTOP, I'm happy. 

He's the only show that talks Nats and caps with any real length of time.

He also talks about local DC issues and has a politics segment. He sets aside time for national issues, and fills gaps with weird stories about his life. Has segments about movies, tv shows, food, etc.

I love his show and I listen to it on the 980 app via pod casts every morning while getting ready for work. It reminds me of the old 106.7 guy talk line up, except it has a significantly higher level of intelligence.

*shrug*

I also like Czabe's show (on Yahoo, i just realized the podcast is available via google music) for the same reason - he doesn't spin his wheels on bs drama for the local teams. He goes straight to national headlines if nothing important is going on locally. And they both do it without being boring like Mike & Mike or other 'national' shows.

Edited by tshile

Wait, that dude igel is fake? Now I feel stupid. Then again I don't listen to his show all that often to know better.

Yeah its an inside joke from a loooong time ago. Occasionally Sheehan will come on and flub up and bring up Stern and everyone is like "who? you mean Nigel?"

Stern is a funny guy though, does impressions/voices really well. During football season he'd call into the Sports Fix pretending to be Christopher Walken and give fantasy football advice and predictions about the Redskins game. It was so good that there were even articles posted about how Walken was a big Redskins fan, lolol.

• Like 2

Oh God now I feel stupid

And I listen to that show every day. I suppose the laughs should have given it away

From wikipedia

Marc Sterne (producer, who is nicknamed "Nigel" and uses a British accent. His authenticity was questioned on March 24, 2006, but had proof that he was from England, showing his English Badge on Channel 8. However, the authenticity of his daily appearances on Channel 8 is also in extreme doubt, so the mystery remains). Actually, the origins of the "Nigel" character can be traced to an episode of the show in which Tony was reflecting on a story he'd seen the night before that was similar to the kind of contests on Man vs. Beast, a Mr. Tony favorite. Gary Braun said that he and Marc Sterne had reconstructed the origins of story (it was something from England involving midgets and lions or something like that). Braun and Sterne then launched into a very funny skit in which essentially, this story was the result of an English bar bet. But, so taken was Tony with Sterne's British accent that he asked him to read all the sports updates in that accent. He nicknamed that character "Nigel" and after a while, ceased referring to Sterne by his actual name, and referred to him exclusively as "Nigel". From time to time, actual Englishmen would write into the show asking after Nigel's credentials saying things like: "He sounds a little like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins, is he for real?" at which point Tony, ever the one to push the inside joke, insisted that not only was Nigel for real, but he was in the country illegally. This incident is typical of the show, in that it is a long-running inside joke that the listener has to have been in on for some time. (The mocking of Jim Rome and the constant references to the non-existent simulcast on Channel 8, two of the others.)

Really wished I'd started listening to the show earlier. Been less than a year now, I think. Obviously missed the long running jokes...

I always wondered why I'd never seen him on channel 8...

Edited by tshile

I also like Czabe's show (on Yahoo, i just realized the podcast is available via google music) for the same reason - he doesn't spin his wheels on bs drama for the local teams. He goes straight to national headlines if nothing important is going on locally. And they both do it without being boring like Mike & Mike or other 'national' shows.

I do enjoy Czabe's national show. I just have enjoyed Kornheiser less and less since he's become an on-air personality. I LOVED his columns in the Post when I was growing up, but he grates on me now. 

The bit that annoys me is how dismissive he is of sports sometimes. Someone might ask him if he thinks the Redskins have a good shot in a given week and he'll say something like "it doesn't matter...I don't care." OK, that's fine, but then don't be on a SPORTS network. 

Edited by TD_washingtonredskins
  • Like 2

Cooley needs to cut back to 12 or 13 cups of coffee before the show or Sheehan may just pop him one.

Man, he's hyper as it is, but wow.. . he's talking all over Sheehan.

~Bang

That's one thing he still hasn't refined... he talks over his co-hosts. You can tell it irritated Galdi/Czabe sometimes.

Definitely will be listening to this over the Junkies. Helps that they have access to team execs...

It'll be interesting to see how/if they dive into other sports... as much as I like Sheehan, he only seems to want to talk caps if he can do so in a negative light. It's not analysis of the team or players, it's "How concerned are you they'll lose the series" stuff.

• Like 1