Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

9 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Today should be a gold standard day for local sportstalk. Experts and beat reports lined up back to back to back. 5min of JP/Mitchell and I turned it off. Unserious while pretending to be serious is more frustrating than everything. They are about to go lazy and open phone lines already. Really? You have so many people from Keim to national guys people would rather hear from, not Whoever from Wherever on a back connection in their car.

You can actually do both. Have a reporter on (multiple reporters will start repeating themselves) and then take calls.

Growing up in Philly, the best sports talk were shows with a single host who took calls. Ken Beatrice was like that here and was very well regarded. The current format of multiple hosts on a show is unappealing to me.

51 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Today should be a gold standard day for local sportstalk. Experts and beat reports lined up back to back to back. 5min of JP/Mitchell and I turned it off. Unserious while pretending to be serious is more frustrating than everything. They are about to go lazy and open phone lines already. Really? You have so many people from Keim to national guys people would rather hear from, not Whoever from Wherever on a back connection in their car.

You turned it off too quickly, they're having lockerroom responses from players and are having guests on. The coverage has been fine so far. 

14 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

You turned it off too quickly, they're having lockerroom responses from players and are having guests on. The coverage has been fine so far. 

Jumped to 980. Been listening to Ben Standig for like 30min on his show. 

2 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Jumped to 980. Been listening to Ben Standig for like 30min on his show. 

JP Finlay is basically the equivalent to Standig since he's basically a part time beat guy, but glad you found something that works for you  :)

Just now, spjunkies said:

JP Finlay is basically the equivalent to Standig since he's basically a part time beat guy, but glad you found something that works for you  :)

nah. JP in writing is..... when talking it's a lot of umms and uhhs....and pauses when he's reading something at the same time. Ben was a very clean interview that just ended. Question asked, Ben talks for 3-5min. Then rinse/repeat. Also, learned Ben can read and talk at the same time because he was mentioning new requests for interviews by the team as they went.

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

I personally don't want to hear 5 different beat guys come on and all say the same thing.  

I rarely hear them say the same things. Unlike the callers who are the same jackasses calling in every day with the "Am I on? Can you hear me?...." Beat reporters are aware of what other reporters are saying and purposefully focus on something different to increase their value as a source for information. Of course, there will be overlap on the obvious.

Opening of Grant and Danny was ok....until Grant did some game to have Danny guess what kind of Pizza he ate today. Then I flipped to Bram.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Grant did some game to have Danny guess what kind of Pizza he ate today.

Grant is so fat. He’s typical fat guy on radio.

16 hours ago, purbeast said:

I personally don't want to hear 5 different beat guys come on and all say the same thing.  

Callers are the worst part of any radio show. They’re so incredibly dumb. If I hear one more dip**** saying “Eric Bemenemy” deserves the head coaching job, well, I’m just going to lose it.

• Like 1

They said Aaron wouldn't be on McAfee anymore this season but he barely appeared on the offseason episodes anyway. Also I laugh seeing everyone hate on McAfee when he is by far the best sports talk show host right now. We do not count regional sports talk because it doesn't matter. In terms of national sports talk McAfee has the highest ratings of all followed by my liege and idol Jim Rome

the glory days of dc sports talk was when I was in high school listening to Tony kornheiser in the morning and the John Thompson show in the afternoon and the sports reporters with Andy pollin and czabe into the night. 

It's all gone downhill from there. 

I still listen to everyday people by sly and the family stone and get flashbacks 

• Like 2

Is Jim Rome still on radio? I swear................................................................ I haven't........................................................................... heard his................................................. voice........................................................ in 15 years.. /Crumples paper.

14 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

the glory days of dc sports talk was when I was in high school listening to Tony kornheiser in the morning and the John Thompson show in the afternoon and the sports reporters with Andy pollin and czabe into the night. 

It's all gone downhill from there. 

I still listen to everyday people by sly and the family stone and get flashbacks 

John Thompson was amazing. He would randomly ask Doc Walker to explain, like, what a Linebacker does.

"Doc, you've been around football a long time. Those linebackers.....what are they doing?"

And then Doc would fail to explain it. I'm not sure John Thompson understood the rules to any sport besides basketball.

That was 90 percent of the show and then ten percent of the time, you would randomly hit something in Thompson's wheelhouse and suddenly he was giving a MLK speech but totally off the cuff.

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Is Jim Rome still on radio? I swear................................................................ I haven't........................................................................... heard his................................................. voice........................................................ in 15 years.. /Crumples paper.

John Thompson was amazing. He would randomly ask Doc Walker to explain, like, what a Linebacker does.

"Doc, you've been around football a long time. Those linebackers.....what are they doing?"

And then Doc would fail to explain it. I'm not sure John Thompson understood the rules to any sport besides basketball.

That was 90 percent of the show and then ten percent of the time, you would randomly hit something in Thompson's wheelhouse and suddenly he was giving a MLK speech but totally off the cuff.

My favorite Thompson radio show memory is when he tried to explain the Kobe/Colorado situation. I was listening at work and was asked to turn it off.

John Thompson was the only thing worse than Doc Walker on the radio.

Andy and Czabe was a great show and then Czabe and Cooley was great after that.

Then around covid Czabe went off the deep end and I stopped listening to him.  Now he's a hardcore Packers fan and does radio up there.

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

This is a perfect explanation! The only thing that I'd add is his lead-up to to asking the question...

"Doc, I'm just Joe the Fan, so can you explain to me why teams usually pass the ball when they need more yards? I've seen long runs before...why wouldn't teams just do a long run so there's no risk of an interception?" 

The "Joe the Fan" thing used to crack my friends and me up! 

35 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m not sure what got into Doc after losing his show, but he’s better for me in doses, as a guest on other people’s shows.

He’s been a bit more substance and less homer.

Substance how? All the sudden can be talk about scheme, or routes, or anything that isn't heart/toughness? 

2 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Substance how? All the sudden can be talk about scheme, or routes, or anything that isn't heart/toughness? 

He’s not breaking down tape, but none of our radio personalities are.  He’s just been less nickname and tough guy talk and more realistic about the state of the org.  

I’m not here to nominate the guy for any awards, he just hasn’t been as bad as he used to be.  I’d imagine if he had to carry 2-3 hours again, he’d revert back to his bread and butter but when he gets 10 minutes - he hasn’t been bad.

• Like 1

I have been an avid listener of local sports talk radio for 15+ years now and I have to say: Lynelle Willingham is by far the worst radio personality in the history of 980 and its not even close. Good god he is the perfect combination of arrogant, annoying, and stupid.

• Like 3