Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

Junior has done good work with A season on the brink and his Ravens book where he followed them around for a year but his radio persona is not likable

Wonder if he still writes for the Post. He used to write the team recaps for the Post March Madness pullout section.

Edited by ixcuincle

image.png.01150562d5e81836d2127cdbf3d11a43.png

Wouldn't know much about Finlay and B Mitch on 1067 (I don't listen) but other than having the PFT / BarstoolNate peeps on, see no reason why that show should be reviled. The fans have turned on JP, man. Sad.

11 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

image.png.01150562d5e81836d2127cdbf3d11a43.png

Wouldn't know much about Finlay and B Mitch on 1067 (I don't listen) but other than having the PFT / BarstoolNate peeps on, see no reason why that show should be reviled. The fans have turned on JP, man. Sad.

Aside from that dude, who else has turned on him?  Him and BMitch are entertaining to me.  I can understand people not liking the way he talks sometimes though because he does leave long ass pauses between thoughts sometimes, but I'm assuming sometimes it's because someone is chirping in his ear.

What are his bad takes?

Driving around just now and jumping back and forth from 980 and 106.7, my biggest take away is this: if this franchise is going to get out of the gutter, the quality of the shows on these two stations need to do the same. These shows stink.

• Thumb up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus. How about a little effort, Grant? Going to a live event where you're going to talk to athletes of a sport that your an expert on? Props to Danny who got the memo that looking like if Thom Loverro and Chris Russell had a baby, isn't acceptable. 

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Jesus. How about a little effort, Grant? Going to a live event where you're going to talk to athletes of a sport that your an expert on? Props to Danny who got the memo that looking like if Thom Loverro and Chris Russell had a baby, isn't acceptable. 

106.7 and 980 used to do spots for a weight loss company. I don’t hear those ads anymore. I can’t remember the name, but I know there was one in Tyson’s. I tried looking it up, but nothing looks familiar. Anyone remember them and did they go out of business? I could stand to lose some weight. I looked into them, but they were godawfully expensive.

1 minute ago, Ball Security said:

106.7 and 980 used to do spots for a weight loss company. I don’t hear those ads anymore. I can’t remember the name, but I know there was one in Tyson’s. I tried looking it up, but nothing looks familiar. Anyone remember them and did they go out of business? I could stand to lose some weight. I looked into them, but they were godawfully expensive.

EMP180 and Grant used to be on it for free I believe.

I don't even understand how fat loss centers can exist in today's world when you an literally get all the same information for free online.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, purbeast said:

I don't even understand how fat loss centers can exist in today's world when you a literally get all the same information for free online.

Okay, yeah. Looks like they rebranded to Copare.

44 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I try not to judge anyone on appearance but yeah I agree, at least put on a decent shirt and tuck in. Maybe trim the beard a bit. Be presentable.

Agreed. Presentable. Look like you value what you do. Sloppy when you know you won't be in studio and are interviewing people you want to take you seriously. Come on. 

On 3/12/2024 at 12:51 PM, @DCGoldPants said:

Driving around just now and jumping back and forth from 980 and 106.7, my biggest take away is this: if this franchise is going to get out of the gutter, the quality of the shows on these two stations need to do the same. These shows stink.

I don't tune in much, but I don't think the shows are all that bad. I've lived here for 40+ years and listened to sports radio for most of that time...I think Sheehan, Grant & Danny, Finley, etc. are all perfectly capable local sports guys. 

16 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I don't tune in much, but I don't think the shows are all that bad. I've lived here for 40+ years and listened to sports radio for most of that time...I think Sheehan, Grant & Danny, Finley, etc. are all perfectly capable local sports guys. 

I still listen to the Junkies mostly out of habit--but I don't take them seriously, especially when they talk about baseball. JP and Finlay are the best show on the station. Grant and Danny are atrocious--I stopped listening to them years ago. Every time I see or hear anything they say, it's dripping with unaware arrogance. They're both dumber than a bag of hammers, but think they're the smartest guys in the room. There is a reason Danny never made it as a comedian.

7 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I still listen to the Junkies mostly out of habit--but I don't take them seriously, especially when they talk about baseball. JP and Finlay are the best show on the station. Grant and Danny are atrocious--I stopped listening to them years ago. Every time I see or hear anything they say, it's dripping with unaware arrogance. They're both dumber than a bag of hammers, but think they're the smartest guys in the room. There is a reason Danny never made it as a comedian.

LOL I think we know who your favorite host on the station is.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, purbeast said:

LOL I think we know who your favorite host on the station is.

Yeah, not enough coffee. I was thinking about whether I'd rail on The Screaming Idiot and his side kick Useless Loud Windbag.

on 630 they gave Mike Callow an hour from 5-6 that I like. Probably because he's a hockey guy and I like to hear about the other teams in town. But I think he does pretty well. 

Sheehan I think needs a co-host to be his best.

I liked Hoffman for a while, but not so much anymore. His producer gets a lot of airtime, but umms and uhhhs a lot, which is a peeve. 

Oh ****, I'm a hater. 

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

G&D don't bother me as much as they bother others. It's not that I think they are brilliant or anything, they aren't. But, I have never gotten the impression that they believe they are or are trying to be. They facilitate - interview people, give their "sport fan" opinions on the local teams, etc. Maybe that's why it's never bothered me...they seem to have the same level of knowledge that I do...

Sheehan has been my favorite in the area for a long time. He has generally held the same opinions as me, but he's much more informed and articulate than I am. 

4 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

G&D don't bother me as much as they bother others. It's not that I think they are brilliant or anything, they aren't. But, I have never gotten the impression that they believe they are or are trying to be. They facilitate - interview people, give their "sport fan" opinions on the local teams, etc. Maybe that's why it's never bothered me...they seem to have the same level of knowledge that I do...

Sheehan has been my favorite in the area for a long time. He has generally held the same opinions as me, but he's much more informed and articulate than I am. 

Once I find someone annoying--it's very hard for me to get off that idea. They were incredibly condescending to anyone with a different opinion back in ~2014-17. They would deride anyone that disagreed with them, no matter how reasonable, with "you can think that, we'll just go on being right." They blocked me when they were ****ing about lineup choices and I posted an article from FanGraphs showing how meaningless batting order is over the course of a season. I also argued that players have preferences that make them more comfortable and productive. They got increasingly aggressive with their whole "we're on the radio so we're experts" grandstanding. They blocked me after throwing back at them the going on being right bit (Paulsen) and asking if they knew what batting splits were (Rouhier).

16 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Once I find someone annoying--it's very hard for me to get off that idea. They were incredibly condescending to anyone with a different opinion back in ~2014-17. They would deride anyone that disagreed with them, no matter how reasonable, with "you can think that, we'll just go on being right." They blocked me when they were ****ing about lineup choices and I posted an article from FanGraphs showing how meaningless batting order is over the course of a season. I also argued that players have preferences that make them more comfortable and productive. They got increasingly aggressive with their whole "we're on the radio so we're experts" grandstanding. They blocked me after throwing back at them the going on being right bit (Paulsen) and asking if they knew what batting splits were (Rouhier).

Wow, I had no idea. Yeah, that definitely seems ridiculous. I don't blame you for feeling the way that you do!

• Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Their lineup construction stances were farcical. But at least they do talk baseball. Can’t say the same for others. However, I was running an errand and they were going through the lineup as it was released. Spent a lot of time on Abrams and Lane. No problem. 1-2, makes sense. Then I think they went through 3-6 and got sideways about how bad the middle is. Which is true, but I got home and thought, well I guess I’ll look up the rest of the lineup online. 

• Like 2

On 3/26/2024 at 7:27 PM, purbeast said:

I don't even understand how fat loss centers can exist in today's world when you an literally get all the same information for free online.

Yeah Grant used it to get a pretty good-looking wife, they got married had a kids and it has been downhill ever since with his looks. 

I know a lot of you don't like the Junkies, but this morning they had Chris Webber on and it was fantastic radio.  He was coming on for a segment and he ended up sticking around for a second one.  I had to go into my office before the 2nd one started but the first one was a great listen.  He has a new book out that he's promoting so that is why he was on.

• 2 weeks later...