Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

28 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

I'm convinced Gruden must have done something personally to BMitch considering how much he went at him on a daily basis - and sounds like he hasn't stopped.

It's the laziness and general aloofness.  B Mitch is old school, old testament blood and guts  type. Those guys won't tolerate a coach acting like that. They'll see red everywhere.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

It's the laziness and general aloofness.  B Mitch is old school, old testament blood and guts  type. Those guys won't tolerate a coach acting like that. They'll see red everywhere.

I'm sure Gruden could be considered "lazy" compared to some, although I'm not sure I ever heard that term used to describe him. He was definitely more of a players coach and less of a hard ass than what BMitch would approve of, I'm sure.

However, Gruden is far from the worst coach to have come through the organization in the past two decades and the argument could be made that he had his hands tied in many respects thanks to having Bruce as GM and with Snyder making decisions such as the previously mentioned Haskins draft pick. I guess my point is I didn't see this level of disdain for any of the other coaches that have come through here, even though I feel at least a few *cough* hip hip hooray *cough* were much more deserving.

7 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

I feel bad for Bmitch because he clearly does the homework before his show. He hasn't improved his delivery at all. Between this and NBCS Washington. That's a lot of practice to still struggle. 

Then again, Chris Russell still can't speak in complete sentences. 

B Mitch can't carry a show. He's like Doc. But Doc has Galdi. B Mitch has...I don't know because I don't listen to him.

Let's be honest about these ex-Redskins who populate the shows, they are there for their names only. 

Cooley, Doc, B-Mitch, Moss, Portis, Riggins...I haven't enjoyed any of them as much as lifelong FANS who see the bigger picture, trust film/matchups, etc. It's usually like this...

Host: On paper, this looks like a tough game for the Skins. They face a HOF QB and the top-ranked defense in the league. They'll really need to play a perfect game to have a shot this afternoon. 

Ex-Player: They just need to take it one play at a time and feed off the crowd. When I played, I was ready to run through a brick wall and we always wanted it more than these damn Cowboys!!! GRRRRR!

Host: We'll see how it goes...

Outcome - Cowboys 41, Redskins 13

• Like 1

Lol I still think Cooley provides pretty good analysis on the Sheehan podcast.

Doc, however, is just a constant stream of cliches and college mascots where I can't tell if he can even remember the names of the players he's talking about.

"We gotta go out there and punch em in the mouth and if the big Buckeye can get in there and disrupt like I know he's capable and we can impose our will with the Memphis Tiger I feel great about our chances."

• Haha 5

7 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don't think it's fair to throw Cooley in with that group.  I agree on all the rest, but Cooley's film breakdowns were local sports radio gold.  Still when I hear him on guest spots, he's bringing more to the table than all of those other folks combined.

That's fair...but I'll also add that he evolved into that. Early on he wasn't as "punch them in the mouth" as the others, but he was goofy and would just contribute things like "that was a weird play!"

And I forgot Theismann who might be the worst of them all. He doesn't do the caveman crap but somehow every comment resorts to re-telling a story from 1981. 

9 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don't think it's fair to throw Cooley in with that group.  I agree on all the rest, but Cooley's film breakdowns were local sports radio gold.  Still when I hear him on guest spots, he's bringing more to the table than all of those other folks combined.

I liked Cooley's original film breakdowns but Sheehan called him on some of the problems with it. It was confusing as all get out and for all we know we have no idea what he's calling a good play vs a bad play. Like if a QB throws a ball that goes off a WRs fingertips, sometimes he's marking the QB sometimes he's marking down the WR. He started something in this area with a lot of people doing film breakdowns now and I like that, being able to go to the Atheltic, Hogs Haven, or even here in different threads and seeing film breakdowns. But I remember somebody called him out saying that he didn't know the assignment and that he was wrong (I think it was a DB saying that Cooley had the coverages wrong) but this was about 5 years ago with Scot M. 

11 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

Doc, however, is just a constant stream of cliches and college mascots where I can't tell if he can even remember the names of the players he's talking about.

My biggest problem with Doc is the nicknames. I can understand when he referrs to them by the numbers because he was the guy on the sideline and would see 47 and have to think of who that was really quickly without a sheet (I think). But when he says "big rhino" I have to remember that's Flowers, or is that Scherff or is it somebody that had that name before? It gets confusing. 

But I like the enthusiasm he puts into it. Its better than say a Theisman who is just boring for early mornings and would put me to sleep. 

14 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

I feel bad for Bmitch because he clearly does the homework before his show. He hasn't improved his delivery at all. Between this and NBCS Washington. That's a lot of practice to still struggle. 

Then again, Chris Russell still can't speak in complete sentences. 

THe worse thing was a few weeks back B Mitch was doing a read for one of the get out and vote things and he just kept stumbling. I felt bad because it was a long read, but he just couldn't do it. 

If I'm Mitchell, I'm looking for public speaking training and practice methods on how to read copy cleanly. It's not like everyone else is perfect. Everyone from Kevin to Scott have their stumbles. But not all the time. Soly can't read a sports update to save his life. 

I'm a broken record on Doc these days. "I call him the big anteater". You do? Since when? Where? His insights are so very poor for a guy who played. We get it. You're an old school hustle and heart guy. But you MUST be able to explain the X's and O's at a minimal level. He either won't or can't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heisenberg said:

Lol I still think Cooley provides pretty good analysis on the Sheehan podcast.

"We gotta go out there and punch em in the mouth and if the big Buckeye can get in there and disrupt like I know he's capable and we can impose our will with the Memphis Tiger I feel great about our chances."

God damn is that a legit transcript of something Doc said?  Cause it sure as **** reads like it.

Am I the only one who read it in Doc's voice too?

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

And I know he's not discussed too often here, but what's going on with Czabe's voice? I am led to believe its something medical because it seems he's always horse. Is this the case? 

Probably the covid, but that dude will never admit to having it.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Probably the covid, but that dude will never admit to having it.

Possible, but this has been going on for months. Mabye years. I remember he told a story about parking in a handicapped spot one day and he was coughing that day. Maybe its just seasonal flu or something and I listen so rarely that I just always notice it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

And I know he's not discussed too often here, but what's going on with Czabe's voice? I am led to believe its something medical because it seems he's always horse. Is this the case? 

He discussed it a few weeks ago. He does two shows a day plus a podcast. But said he was going to the Dr. soon because it was an issue. 

Czabe working for Urban One radio and him not being an idiot probably has his political social media down to retweets. He's not working 2.5 jobs because it's a well paying gig.

Still, Urban One seems to put the bare min into 980 since buying it. The line-up is stretched and mismatched some. They haven't brought in any new voices. I'm not a huge fan of the former athlete getting to drive his own show deal. But I find it hard to believe if they wanted somebody who wasn't a football player here, one couldn't be found. I'd like people who are smarter on more than just one or two sports. The smartest multi-sports guys at 980 are Galdi and Jackson. I get it, Hockey talk isn't hot in DC. Smokin' Al was solid radio on a bunch of sports. When Knoche was on more. He was really good also.

Sigh, sportstalk is dying. Podcasts will win in the end. OnDemand 1-2 hour daily shows from the guys you like. 

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Doc is entertaining and overall he's fine since they pair him with Galdi who is very smart and capable. He'd be painful if he were by himself.

Disagree. Galdi deserves free back surgery after carrying Doc.

Galdi has been one of the most misused talents I can remember on sportstalk here. He knows history, stats, sport rules, and has a radio voice. He can do a show solo without any issue but I think he's better paired with someone he can debate the PI rule in the NFL and then jump to hoops and they debate if Superteams are having a bigger negative effect on the NBA than people realize.